Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jim Kenzie at it again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Claims he is some journalist beholden to the facts, huh, that's an interesting way to start the article and then totally go off the rails.

His view on the Chevy Bolt seems it came right out of a GM dealerships mouth trying to get you into a Volt or ICE instead. At least he's got a good point about charging times, EVSE infrastructure costs and install issues will be a barrier to mass adoption as of right now as if the earth is standing still. But really most of his 'facts' are full of it, and very near sighted.

His prediction of EVs not ever being more than a small percentage of the fleet is laughable. What rock has he been hiding under?

Then he mentions fool cells and totally looses me on it being the only feasible long term solution. Really?

We have so much work to do still. Sigh.

Reactions: GSP and Lon12
Sigh, the sad part is not his views but his viewership. The Toronto Sun like most news papers is struggling to stay afloat but it still gets viewed by 50-100k people a day and to top it off the guy drives VW diesels no less. Good Grief charlie brown.

jgdixon, It is a waste of time to email him or the paper (well maybe you can try and do an op ed). His post is in the auto section, brought to you by the Auto dealers association and big auto manufactures...

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” Upton Sinclair

Wow I used to be such a Jim Kenzie fan. Have agreed with his views for decades. He's way off on this one though. Wow, sad. I would like to ask him how we can explain that there are hundreds of thousands of Model 3's on order sight unseen? The people have spoken. The 1% of the market being non EV ain't going to be around much longer.

Reactions: GSP
Sigh, the sad part is not his views but his viewership. The Toronto Sun like most news papers is struggling to stay afloat but it still gets viewed by 50-100k people a day and to top it off the guy drives VW diesels no less. Good Grief charlie brown.

jgdixon, It is a waste of time to email him or the paper (well maybe you can try and do an op ed). His post is in the auto section, brought to you by the Auto dealers association and big auto manufactures...

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” Upton Sinclair
In all fairness this is the Star not the Sun, which tends to be more "progressive". Not that all columnist subscribe. Kenzie is def a little old school in his opinions I find.

While I don't disagree with everything in the article, there was a column in the most recent Car & Driver (not yet available online) that is the flipside to Kenzie's column. I'm not sure if the picture of the column is readable but it's an interesting point of view. In essence, the C/D columnist wrote from the perspective of ICEs being the new kids on the block and EVs being the long-existing standard.
H25bCg8.jpg

While I don't disagree with everything in the article, there was a column in the most recent Car & Driver (not yet available online) that is the flipside to Kenzie's column. I'm not sure if the picture of the column is readable but it's an interesting point of view. In essence, the C/D columnist wrote from the perspective of ICEs being the new kids on the block and EVs being the long-existing standard.
H25bCg8.jpg
Not quite a new idea (but always entertaining). Tesla Club Sweden published in April 2015.

Test drive of a petrol car - Tesla Club Sweden

Someone wrote Mr. Kenzie about this article and his response was rather condescending. Something along the lines of, "I am not biased against EVs. The numbers speak for themselves. If you don't believe the numbers, I can't help you." Naturally, Mr. Kenzie completely ignored all the numbers and facts that the writer had presented to him.

Reactions: GSP
Someone wrote Mr. Kenzie about this article and his response was rather condescending. Something along the lines of, "I am not biased against EVs. The numbers speak for themselves. If you don't believe the numbers, I can't help you." Naturally, Mr. Kenzie completely ignored all the numbers and facts that the writer had presented to him.
I sent a brief letter to the editor (who is off until Wednesday). Mr. Kenzie seems set in his poorly informed opinion.

Reactions: GSP and Jaff
Don't take it too serious guys. Yes, Kenzie is known to ruffle feathers, but that's his job. To get people to talk about the subject. You also have to remember he's old school. Alot of people of his generation are hell bent on fossil fuels and it's not something they'll be willing to give up despite the alternative being better overall.
This year will mark a big change in the automotive landscape. GM had an early jump in offering their Bolt to the public first. But we all know it's not something I would want to spend my money on. The Model 3 is just around the corner. We'll see what happens on the final reveal.
I'm excited!

I got in an email argument with Jim a few years back about this same subject. It's all the silly arguments that anyone who looked at EVs with an open mind would realize aren't real. How many people go back to ice after going EV?

The good news is he is a dinosaur and his caveman way of thinking is slowly dying.

Meh ... lots of misinformation. It'll sort itself out, though. According to my own data and calculations, a Model S would produce 2/3 the carbon of a smaller, lighter Honda Accord (2003 edition) when fueled from Alberta's particularly dirty electricity produced from our particularly dirty breed of coal. That sort of improvement is not going to go unnoticed forever, nor is the increasing range and lower refueling cost. I'm always entertained by the fact that these guys don't realize how much dirty electricity went into extracting, pumping, refining, and transporting their fossil fuels.