Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

moa999

2020 3 SR+ MSM
Mar 4, 2020
Sydney, AUS
Thought it useful to have a thread on Jolt who has a network in development
www.jolt.com.au

Seems to have two models both supporting 22/25kW DC charging with 15min free, then charged

NSW - Ausgrid partnership. Adding DC chargers to the side of electrical substations
Ausgrid and JOLT plan to convert electrical kiosks into charging stations
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...arging-stations-for-cars-20201011-p563z0.html

SA - Standalone units that also support advertising
Ad revenue pays the way for new Jolt EV charging network - ARENAWIRE

Adelaide project has received a near $1m grant from Arena.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Hairyman and Anubis
Thought it useful to have a thread on Jolt who has a network in development
www.jolt.com.au

Seems to have two models both supporting 22/25kW DC charging with 15min free, then charged

NSW - Ausgrid partnership. Adding DC chargers to the side of electrical substations
Ausgrid and JOLT plan to convert electrical kiosks into charging stations
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...arging-stations-for-cars-20201011-p563z0.html

SA - Standalone units that also support advertising
Ad revenue pays the way for new Jolt EV charging network - ARENAWIRE

Adelaide project has received a near $1m grant from Arena.
Do you reckon that the first 15 “free” minutes will be from a monthly subscription?

It certainly is a solution in modern suburbs that have these kerbside cabinets, but most people living in those areas will typically have a garage.

Solution is still needed for older suburbs (particularly places often without garages like terraces) where the substation is often a house styled building.

More likely to be power pole charging, or some form of popup charging.

Reactions: Hairyman
When I’m at my mother’s, in a flat with no off-street parking at all, I run an extension lead out the side balcony, across the front yard, across two footpaths, out to the kerb, and into my UMC. I have half a dozen rubber mats and three witches hats. There are 4-5 on-street spaces (depending on how well the neighbours park) that I can reach with a single cable. Usually two of those are vacant.

There’s one of those green boxes at the end of the street. I’d be keen to see that converted, but I won’t hold my breath.

Forgot to share here - I did some googling and found some of the proposed Sydney locations - might be of interest if anyone lives nearby and has a keen eye!

130746826_10159264597416042_3361300745011413950_o.jpg

131418070_10159264598246042_4054400424171794288_o.jpg

130291148_10159264600096042_8137260632542355173_n.jpg

130988869_10159264601806042_927980173883872837_n.jpg

An interesting list.
On a quick look none seem to be like the picture with a green box close to the roadside.

Waitara - out the front of BMW dealership but footpath between green box and roadside.
Beecroft - a good one. Green box in a council carpark.
West Pennant Hills - Street side cabinet
Park Mona Vale - a good one - another carpark
5 Bungan Mona Vale - Bad. Cabinet is next to bus stop and roundabout
North Manly - OK. In a cul-de-sac near parking
Dee Why - Good - Street side cabinet on existing shopping strip
Forestville. - Good - Street side next to parking spot
Freshawater - seems to be a standalone structure. Possible for a charging location on Oliver St?

Have been noticing the substations since hearing about this.Have spotted some that would work well. Also spotted the worst at Wondabyne Station :)
Ha ha. The only train station in the NSW network that is not accessible by road. I’ve often wondered how many people use it. I’d be stunned if it’s more than a couple of people per day.

Only once in my life have I seen anyone waiting there - looked like 2 bushwalkers.

Jolt now up to 8 sites in Adelaide.

Also showing 1 site in Sydney (at the Ausgrid depot 25-27 Pomeroy St Homebush) but the comments seem test only.

If anyone lives near that part of Sydney and can do a drive by... From Google Maps I can't even see a streetside green box, so I suspect its a test entry, or a non-public test site inside the depot grounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hairyman