Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walmart Creating EV Charging Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now _that_ is interesting.
Maybe just rebadging or maybe they've looked at what networks are doing and think they can do better.

Don't Electrify America has already installed Superchargers at some Walmart parking lots?

Anyway, I don't see the real use case model because if charging takes
about 20 minutes you don't really have time to do shopping while charging.

So you charge first, then move your car, and then go shopping?
I think that installing L2 chargers would be more practical

Last edited:
Reactions: Mario Veras
Fantastic news! When traveling I can charge up, grab some snacks, food at the deli, a few drinks at checkout, and likely get a few “I need this too” things too.

And if your car charges fast, by the time you walk to the bathroom and back the charging will probably be done.

Here's a site with a map showing 10-mile radius areas with Walmarts in the USA:
Number of Walmart locations in the USA in 2023 | ScrapeHero
Image: https://www.scrapehero.com/store/wp-content/uploads/maps/Walmart_USA.png

Potential for full Interstate coverage, with dense coverage for most of Eastern USA. They don't have full coverage, but at least they won't have any problem with Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma.

You guys must be slow. 20 minutes is plenty of time for shopping. L2 is ridiculous unless a fancy dinner or movie.
My bathroom breaks are about 5 minutes and that includes all walking to bathrooms.
Maybe a large urban thing with long lines/crowds?

There should be a variety of options: free L2 charging while you shop, and fast charging for a fee per kw. L2 makes more sense if you arrive with relatively high state of charge and get enough juice so that you arrive home with the same or a bit more of charge than when you left home. However, if your state of charge is low, connect to a DC fast charger. That will fill up your battery while you shop.

Now, vendors must begin to think of ways to discourage leechers who live nearby and don’t go shopping but still want to take advantage of the free charge without having to shop or pay for the charge. Perhaps a QR code printed on your store receipt to be used as a voucher so your charge is free. So if you don’t have the QR code, you just have to pay.