Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Journalist runs out of power in a rented Tesla and writes a review.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But isn't that what the energy graph shows you? Based on interval (30 min avg, 15, instant etc.) expected miles remaining should be clear enough, imho.

It does but in this case the writer/driver apparently did not take the time to learn about that feature of the car. Since it is not displayed by default, and he didn't bother to sit down and go through the small number of available screen displays and learn how they worked, he ran out of juice.

The fault lies both him and with Tesla to some extent. Assuming he entered a destination in the nav, the software ideally should have warned him that his SOC would be insufficient. I think it very likely that the next major firmware release will include that capability.

Umm...I believe that Tesla can remotely access the logs of any Model S, even one owned by Hertz. All the cars log data, and just because it is owned by Hertz should not mean the logs are not available to Tesla.

Those logs are only available if the owner (Hertz) asks for them. Tesla also claims that the logs are only available with a gov't subpoena. In this case, Tesla wouldn't have the right to the log (not their car) and since the logs are not subject to a subpoena (yet) they aren't available to Tesla for curiosity's sake.

This seems more like a zero brain cells harmed in the making of this story type article than malicious intent like Broder. Even some basic research for an article would have given him the tools to make it an additional three miles. At least not run out completely.

My guess is that we had a lot of fun with the car punching it and enjoying the kick of the acceleration in the beginning and then driving it beyond the speed limit for some time before he realized he is running out of juice. And then he simply refused to charge on the way and just kept going. Seriously? What did he expect? Yes you end up stranded in any vehicle if you refuse to refuel or recharge when you reach zero. Plenty of charging stations on the way.

Why doesn't tesla display a simple SOC gauge,

Actually they kinda do. If you look at the trip odometer it shows the kWH used since last charge[Total Energy]. It also shows the mileage since last charge and the wH/mile.

2013_tesla_model-s_ip_lt_22513_600.jpg

So for my MS85, after a range charge, I just subtract the kWH used from 80 to get the kWH remaining (I use 80 instead of 85 as a margin of error). Then just divide the kWH remaining by the avg energy used in kWH/mile. Pretty good estimate of the range remaining (assuming continued driving under the same conditions).

In any other car, the displayed range figure would have been literally accurate, assuming recent conditions persist in the future. And why wouldn't anyone jumping into a rented Model S take that prominently displayed number to be the best representation of what to expect in driving the car on their first trip? If that number isn't made more accurate, there will be many more reviewers and owners who conclude that Tesla misrepresents the range of the car, and since that is such a critical parameter for an EV, they'll be out to prove it and publish it. In this case, the applicable maxim is "Seller Beware!"

Sorry, that's not true. The Prius has Estimate Miles To Zero and I assure you it's not a good estimate and is particularly bad as your fuel drops. It drops very rapidly from about 5 to 0.

There are two key differences:
- It doesn't show it prominently.
- Zero does not mean anywhere near zero. In the Prius it means "you now have 2 gallons left", so plenty of miles to find a gas station.

So, yes, in a BEV
- Emphasize SOC (although that's just an estimate itself) over range.
- Include a nice ICEV-style buffer based on potential behavior of the car. Could even make it user-configurable. The Tesla has management and climate control that can really suck juice so it's worth avoiding nasty surprises by including a buffer.

So for my MS85, after a range charge, I just subtract the kWH used from 80 to get the kWH remaining (I use 80 instead of 85 as a margin of error). Then just divide the kWH remaining by the avg energy used in kWH/mile. Pretty good estimate of the range remaining (assuming continued driving under the same conditions).

You can't realistically expect people to do that though. Especially when Tesla can just put that estimation there on the screen for easy reference.

Actually I did just join tonight after seeing that article. Snip . . .

Your post was new, on topic and relevant. Welcome thank you, and please feel right at home!

- - - Updated - - -

Rather than a gauge, or a number or a graph, I'd rather see the estimated range displayed on the map as concentric circles centred on the car's present location.

You could have the usual options to make the circles just outlines or shaded with different levels of transparency (the default). And just like a target in archery.

I like this idea and I want to hire you as an interface designer!

The comments that the mass market cars will need better estimates of range are right and your suggestion sounds pretty good to me.

In Sedona, AZ a week ago, I met a man from California with a 60 kWh Tesla who had slowed down to 55 mph in order to make one of the Superchargers on his trip. Fortunately he knew that he should do that so he didn't run out of battery.

I did meet Nate on his road trip. It was day one of my coast to coast trip. There had been monsoon rains that day, pushing my wh/m up over 400 even on the flats. It was the first time I had any issues with getting to Las Vegas from Barstow, but I was able to make it by moderating my speed to just under 70mph.

When I arrived in Kingman, Nate didn't tell me he'd run out of juice. He just told me he'd rented the car and was doing a story on the Supercharging Network.

I told him about the start of my trip. He didn't know ANYTHING about the car. Didn't know which version he was driving. Didn't understand rated vs ideal miles. Didn't know to check the trip icon to show average wh/m since last charge. Didn't understand instant vs. average on the 5, 15, and 30 mile tabs.

Nate usually writes about architecture, not cars and he just jumped in the car and went. Maybe this was a bit reckless on his part (clearly the results bear that out) but I don't think the article was based on animus.

Driving the Supercharging network requires some advanced Tesla training, especially for the longest distance between Superchargers being your first experience with the car.

He called me after I got back and told me he'd run out before meeting me. I told him he was going to get raked over the coals by owners for being "a dumbass" but he seemed nonplussed. The only thing I wish he'd printed is that I drove a MS60 (with a much shorter range) coast to coast. Big deal.

Also, not super impressed that he found quotes from GM who is probably in last place when it comes to electrifying their fleet.

I'm more convinced that the Supercharger network is excellent if you make the effort, but his lack of training, preparation and care are pretty typical of humans and a cautionary tale to anyone who doesn't understand how EVs work.
Ignorance is no excuse. I really cannot see someone without an agenda plan on writing a story, then doing something like this. If you stick a caveman into an ICE without telling him how it works, he will run out of gas. No surprise there.

I agree that the dashboard display should default to a figure that uses the recent average, the temp and any clues from navigation. For those of us interested enough, we can dig down to the energy app and monitor with knowledge. Unfortunately, for Gen III it has to be brain dead simple!

We all know Tesla downloads Release Notes with firmware updates.

I think they should start pushing out a series of notes and explanatory videos on "EV driving for Dummies".

Or maybe owners on this forum could provide such a resource for new owners to surf on their phones/home computers/Tesla touchscreens.

In any other car, the displayed range figure would have been literally accurate, assuming recent conditions persist in the future.

Interesting that you say that. I drive an A6 and it will say how many miles based on previous driving. Whenever I got to my parents, on long stretches of freeway vs. the stop and go around town, the mileage it says I can go actually steadily increases the whole 1st half of the trip (90 miles) before starting to decrease again. In case, it's original estimate is wildly inaccurate. Conversely, after the round trip, it says I can go 350 miles on a fill up, but with the stop and go around town, I don't get anywhere near that, also wildly inaccurate. Just saying.

I'm surprised Plugshare doesn't even show a 30 amp station somewhere on that route for an S that is running low. I wonder if a business case could be made for installing one in Needles, AZ. It might be possible to make a profit off a modest recharge fee and the business the station might draw to a restaurant.

However, for this case, I imagine this reporter wouldn't know how to find such a resource, unless it was it listed by his vehicle's Nav system.

I think an interface object/warning that keeps track of watts/mile, and if that is consistently greater than say 350 or 400, popup a message that warns the driver that faster speeds, wind, hills, and AC/heat use are currently affecting estimate remaining range, and a quick chart that recommends changes:

• Reduce average speed to 60mph will extend rated range: 20 miles
  • Turn off the heat/AC will extend rated range: 10 miles
  • Use cruise control to minimize speed changes: 5 miles
  • If your destination is more than XX miles away, consider finding an intermediate charging station

Of course, experience users could disable this, but for new users or rentals, it could mean the difference between getting to the next SC or spending the night in a hotel waiting for a tow truck to tow your car 4 miles.