Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Juicebox not charging new Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been using my Juicebox 48 for 6 months now, no issues. I charge at 48 am do connected to a 60 amp circuit. Charges the 22 MYP 15% to 80% under 3 hours. I have one in my garage and installed a second one outside of the garage running parallel if I need to charge two cars. I would ask you electrician or who ever did the installation.

I'm almost on year seven with mine. No issues.

What is the DIY relay socket?
they created their own relay board for the 50A relay. It is a PCB mount relay, but seeing as mine caught on fire, I'm going to say that they didn't engineer it properly. If there was room in the box I'd swap it out for a contactor, but a contactor is too big for the existing box, and then adding the cost of another box just isn't worth it to me. And after hours of searching, I can't find a good solution to a 50amp relay with a socket that has a 12vdc coil.

they created their own relay board for the 50A relay. It is a PCB mount relay, but seeing as mine caught on fire, I'm going to say that they didn't engineer it properly. If there was room in the box I'd swap it out for a contactor, but a contactor is too big for the existing box, and then adding the cost of another box just isn't worth it to me. And after hours of searching, I can't find a good solution to a 50amp relay with a socket that has a 12vdc coil.
Your other choice is using two relays; a lower amperage 12Vdc relay to trigger the bigger one.

I've been using my Juicebox 40 for about 2 years now. All of the sudden, it doesn't charge anymore. From the car, it's saying something about the external power source is insufficient or something like that. To rule out it's not the car, I was able to supercharge. And I also had my friend come by with his Model 3 to try and he got the same warning message from his car. I've reached out to Juicebox but have not heard back yet. Am I dead in the water?
I've tried resetting the car, breaker, unplugged/plug, wifi.....welp!

I've been using my Juicebox 40 for about 2 years now. All of the sudden, it doesn't charge anymore. From the car, it's saying something about the external power source is insufficient or something like that. To rule out it's not the car, I was able to supercharge. And I also had my friend come by with his Model 3 to try and he got the same warning message from his car. I've reached out to Juicebox but have not heard back yet. Am I dead in the water?
Two Tesla vehicles (Your Model Y and your friend's Model 3 are currently unable to charge using the Juicebox 40. The only other possible issue would be a defective Tesla SAE J1772 adapter. (This is unlikely as the adapter is a passive component with no active electronics.) The problem lies with the Juicebox 40 or the charging circuit (possibly a loose power or ground connection. That is where I would look first.

Do you hear the relay engage when the car tries to charge? This sounds similar to the problem above where the relay has failed.

Two Tesla vehicles (Your Model Y and your friend's Model 3 are currently unable to charge using the Juicebox 40. The only other possible issue would be a defective Tesla SAE J1772 adapter. (This is unlikely as the adapter is a passive component with no active electronics.) The problem lies with the Juicebox 40 or the charging circuit (possibly a loose power or ground connection. That is where I would look first.
Oh btw, two separate SAE J1772. We each used our own. Should I try to open this thing and see if there are anything visually wrong off the bat? Safe?

Oh btw, two separate SAE J1772. We each used our own. Should I try to open this thing and see if there are anything visually wrong off the bat? Safe?
Nope. If the Juicebox 40 features a power plug then you could turn off the breaker, unplug the Juicebox 40 and return it to the manufacturer for repair or replacement. If hard wired then you should use an electrician to install whatever replacement EVSE you end up purchasing (could be the Tesla Wall Connector or another Juicebox.)

Does that sound sound like a "click" or like some sort of "lens clicking on a camera"? if so, yes i hear it.
Yes, it does. That suggests that the electronics and relay are working. To me, that suggests a bad connection somewhere either inside the unit or the handle or a broken wire in the cord. The message suggests that everything worked except the on-board charger didn't see the proper voltage, which fits with a bad connection. It may well be repairable, but I'm loath to advise anyone who doesn't have the experience or knowledge to attempt a repair. Alternatively you can contact the manufacturer, or I know there's a guy on here who does Juicebox repairs for people.

Yes, it does. That suggests that the electronics and relay are working. To me, that suggests a bad connection somewhere either inside the unit or the handle or a broken wire in the cord. The message suggests that everything worked except the on-board charger didn't see the proper voltage, which fits with a bad connection. It may well be repairable, but I'm loath to advise anyone who doesn't have the experience or knowledge to attempt a repair. Alternatively you can contact the manufacturer, or I know there's a guy on here who does Juicebox repairs for people.
Thank you all for your responses. Much appreciate this. I have reached out to the company and just waiting for an answer. In the mean time, my friend lend me his NEMA 14-50 adapter that I can use with the Tesla travel charger. Or maybe I can find a used Juicebox or ChargePoint?

The time setting on the Enelx app is probably running a smart charge schedule check the time on that. I have the same thing when I plus my car in early.