Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Juicebox 40 charging issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nvrlucke

May 25, 2023
NJ
Hello,

I just had a Juicebox 40 installed for my 2023 Model 3 SR. When I plug it in, I get a maximum of 12 A charging. I called Juicebox and they had me reboot the unit. That worked and got the speed up for a few minutes but then went back to 12A. I then called support again and they said the Juicebox is charging at the correct amps but it is an issue with the car and I need to bring it for service to reduce the amps which didn’t make sense to me. Has anyone else had this problem and can tell me how to fix it? I researched it on the site but couldn’t find anything definite. Thanks

• Funny
Reactions: garth_angst
I purchased it because of PSEG rebate. I am now regretting it. Was able to charge fine with a friends level 2 Tesla charger. Spoke with another rep. from Juicebox who said it may be a problem with circuit breaker. He said if the wiring is correct they will warranty it. Going to attempt to use another Juicebox with my plug and see if that works and go from there.

My old (7 years) JuiceBox 40, which has been faithfully pumping out 32A and 7kW on 240v is now only performing at 12A and 2kW. Dunno what is going on. Do these have only a useful life limit? Odd that it is still working but at a greatly reduced power. Any ideas?

My old (7 years) JuiceBox 40, which has been faithfully pumping out 32A and 7kW on 240v is now only performing at 12A and 2kW. Dunno what is going on. Do these have only a useful life limit? Odd that it is still working but at a greatly reduced power. Any ideas?
Those old Juiceboxes use a potentiometer to set the charge limit. They do go bad sometimes. Or it could be a bad solder joint.

You could always replace the electronics with OpenEVSE hardware.

Same EV? Does the EV show charging parameters (voltage, current limit and actual, etc) matching the actual? You should check the voltage feeding the JuiceBox while it's charging. If it's much lower than the no load voltage then there could be issues with the supply wiring/devices including a breaker going bad.

Same EV? Does the EV show charging parameters (voltage, current limit and actual, etc) matching the actual? You should check the voltage feeding the JuiceBox while it's charging. If it's much lower than the no load voltage then there could be issues with the supply wiring/devices including a breaker going bad.

Luckily, we have a few charging backups. A couple 110v slow chargers and the Tesla Mobile kit which can do 240v 7kW at 32A. I used the Tesla kit to quickly add 25% to the Y last night before I had to drive up north to work today. The half broken JuiceBox40 would have me charge for a half day. So I know the power to the JuiceBox isn't the issue.

I will be trying again to hook the JB up from scratch and testing it on both our cars. The Tesla isn't limiting the charging and it isn't the breaker or anything on the panel side. Still a puzzle.