Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Juicebox pro 40 w/j1772 adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having issues with this adapter. It's been only registering 6amps max when my wife plugs in. I have to go outside and unplug everything, reconnect and plug in and pray. I don't know what she's doing wrong. Is the adapter supposed to unplug while still connected to the j1772 plug? Or do they need to seperate first? Before we get into it, the juicebox works fine on other evs that do not require the adapter

It is only necessary to insert the connector forcefully and quickly. If you insert the cable in a "delicate" manner, you will cause an electrical spark, called an "arc", where the electricity travels through the air between the wires. The computer interprets this as an electrical fault.

The adapter can be inserted before the connector or not. The car probably does not even know that it is there.

Well, I went back to the mobile connected and it's a steady 32 Amps. I think the adapter is bad . When using it it stays at 32 Amps for about 2 minutes and then drops to 6

I wrote you a different post, but then I saw you said "when my wife plugs in" so I wasn't sure if you were saying its fine otherwise.

Can you send a screenshot of the charging screen? Both at the start and after 2 minutes. A video is even better if it is only 2 minutes.

I think the Tesla may be more sensitive than other cars to the voltage. You may have an issue with your electrical system. If the voltage drops too much, it will throttle.

Then (if that is the case) you will either need to take apart your outlet and look at the wires, or call an electrician. Or both. Its hard to see how the adapter could go bad - its just a piece of metal.

• Informative
Reactions: McMoo
I took a screenshot of the app and called Tesla. I agree about the adapter going bad but hard to say it's the outlet when the original mobile connector works just fine. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow and see what I come up with. Maybe I do need to call on the Juicebox

I took a screenshot of the app and called Tesla. I agree about the adapter going bad but hard to say it's the outlet when the original mobile connector works just fine. I'm going to mess with it tomorrow and see what I come up with. Maybe I do need to call on the Juicebox

I meant post the screenshots here. Not the app, but the car dashboard screen.

Especially the voltage numbers are of interest.

Yea I figured that's what you meant, I was just saying I grabbed a screenshot but I meant to screen record. Anyway, I ordered a warranty replacement juicebox to rule it out. I will try to get the video later today. Thanks

It may have the info on the screenshot. Looking especially for the voltage number.

Here is an old screen that I found via search. It shows voltage at 235, current at 40.

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 10.53.42 AM.png

This is what I took last night. I will take video tonight if possible

Now that is interesting... you have 244 volts showing. By contrast the nominal voltage in the U.S. for such an outlet is 240 volts and it declines by 5-10 volts while under load.

You have higher than normal voltage. It shouldn't badly affect charging, but it is interesting.

Now we just need to know, what is the voltage at 32A draw. Although we should still need to know at 6A again, as voltage can fluctuate from the utility.

Now that is interesting... you have 244 volts showing. By contrast the nominal voltage in the U.S. for such an outlet is 240 volts and it declines by 5-10 volts while under load.
Nah, not that interesting. The 240 number is like the named rating, but there's always some variance, and that's usually on the high side unloaded if you have a decent electrical system in your neighborhood. That would be kind of dumb for the utilities to send exactly 240 to start with out of their transformers because there are going to be losses all along the way getting it through the lines to people's houses, into the property, through their panels, and then to their outlets and into their appliances. So utilities almost always start out sending something that is at least a few volts high to compensate for that drop that will always be there, so it is not unusual at all for people's houses to have a few volts above 240. My house has always had 244V before the charging load ramps up.

The really weird thing about your screenshot, though, @Turlejay , is that the amps say 7/6. That is supposed to be how many amps are currently being used / out of how many the charging equipment is announcing is available. Obviously the first number should never be bigger, so there's some kind of glitch or miscommunication going on. And that second number shouldn't really be 6. Somewhere in that communication, either the Juicebox is announcing 6, or the car is misinterpreting and "hearing" 6. Something isn't right there in the signaling.

Nah, not that interesting. The 240 number is like the named rating, but there's always some variance, and that's usually on the high side unloaded if you have a decent electrical system in your neighborhood. That would be kind of dumb for the utilities to send exactly 240 to start with out of their transformers because there are going to be losses all along the way getting it through the lines to people's houses, into the property, through their panels, and then to their outlets and into their appliances. So utilities almost always start out sending something that is at least a few volts high to compensate for that drop that will always be there, so it is not unusual at all for people's houses to have a few volts above 240. My house has always had 244V before the charging load ramps up.

The really weird thing about your screenshot, though, @Turlejay , is that the amps say 7/6. That is supposed to be how many amps are currently being used / out of how many the charging equipment is announcing is available. Obviously the first number should never be bigger, so there's some kind of glitch or miscommunication going on. And that second number shouldn't really be 6. Somewhere in that communication, either the Juicebox is announcing 6, or the car is misinterpreting and "hearing" 6. Something isn't right there in the signaling.

Well I just mean interesting, not that it could cause his issue. Where I am voltage is 119-121, never more or less. Obviously the car is said to take up to 277.

I've seen the 6A before and it seems to be the car's favorite number for "reduced charging" when it feels something went wrong.

Reactions: MXLRplus
I've already petitioned amazon to replace the juicebox because it's still in the return window. The thing that troubled me was that it would start charging at 32 amp if I replugged in the adapter and then it would allow down later or sometimes just start at 6 amps regardless. As for the voltage, I feel like it's always fluctuated around the 249 mark.

I've already petitioned amazon to replace the juicebox because it's still in the return window. The thing that troubled me was that it would start charging at 32 amp if I replugged in the adapter and then it would allow down later or sometimes just start at 6 amps regardless. As for the voltage, I feel like it's always fluctuated around the 249 mark.

That is a feature that the car throttles back if the voltage drops. The more current you draw, the more the voltage drops, and if it drops too much, it will throttle back to 6A.

But if it works with the Tesla charger on the same outlet, probably the Juicebox is bad.

Do you really need to replace the juicebox? Why not just return it and use the Tesla UMC cable. It is much more convenient.

I didnt pay for the juicebox, we got a rebate through the electric company. I prefer to have the umc in the car stowed at all times. My wife has a rediculously long commute that sometimes can cut it close and there are a few rest stops along the way that have nema outlets. That being said, the juicebox provides me with more info in regards to power used for the month so I like it. If it continues to be an issue I'll phase it out.

I didnt pay for the juicebox, we got a rebate through the electric company. I prefer to have the umc in the car stowed at all times. My wife has a rediculously long commute that sometimes can cut it close and there are a few rest stops along the way that have nema outlets. That being said, the juicebox provides me with more info in regards to power used for the month so I like it. If it continues to be an issue I'll phase it out.

Just wondering. Now that I notice the UMC works at 32A, probably your issue is the juicebox. The J1772 adapter is a nice solid piece of metal+plastic as far as I can tell w/ no internal electronics.