Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Juicy tidbits on Autopilot, deep learning, Tesla's advantage from Nov 3 Mobileye Call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mobileye can't possibly know if their next hardware suite is good enough for autonomous driving. Straubel recently said nine years, which means he doesn't know how or when autonomous driving will happen. In three years the newest Tesla may go from home to work without human intervention, but not safely or legally without the driver providing oversight in the drivers seat.

Full autonomous driving is the option of choosing to get in the front seat or back seat.

The emboldened (true autopilot) would suffice for me and that timeframe is reasonable. I could be wrong but I think it will be more than 5 years before 100% autonomous cars will be available for consumers. I'll be ready to trade up to that in 10 years.

ohmman... You'd be my personal hero of you could get the Tesla or Mobileye folks to say if they were going to have production Model S with multiple EyeQ3s and the 8 cameras in the first half of 2016. :)

From the post that started this thread: "We will take the same infrastructure up to fully autonomous vehicle. Well, the hardware will not going to be changed. There is going to be only updates of software, once they introduce the full set of eight cameras around the vehicle."

I think we've heard "the hardware is not going to change" several times from EM, and it's always changed.

Well, I hope there is news soon. I was just stranded by my truck yesterday - engine just stopped (really stinks trying to get to side of road w/ no power steering/brakes). Had that towed - they are looking at it. The BMW stranded me today, luckily close enough to home to walk. Gotta get my reports into consumer reports. Been trying to hold out for Model S.2... One of those days :(