Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

June 2013 EV sales figures of all the available EV models in the US.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Benz

Nov 15, 2012
Netherlands
June 2013 EV sales figures of all the available EV models in the US.

It will be interesting to see if there is a steady shift towards growing numbers in EV sales in the US.

Let's discuss this in this thread.

Well, at least they have decent odds to being able to say they aren't being outsold by the Model S anymore, lol.

Well, I expect that the total US sales figures in the first 6 months of 2013 of the Tesla Model S to be competitive with those of the Volt/Leaf.
We have to keep in mind that a number of Tesla Model S's in the first 6 months of 2013 were sold to Canadian customers as well.
When we get the correct figure on July 22nd, 2013 (Earnings Call) then we will have to subtract the Canadian figure before we can compare it to those of the Volt/Leaf.

Finally Ford released it data so here is a table of June and first half of the year US EV sales:
Monthly-Plug-In-Sales-June-2013-v7.png

PS. Could someone post Norway EV sales numbers?

The numbers aren't available yet, unless one is willing to pay a few thousand dollars for them...

They become publicly available shortly. :)

Ohh, thank you for reply.

I want to point to the fact that US so far well on the way to double numbers of EV sold in 2013 compared to 2012. In fact for first half a year of 2013 numbers of plugins more then doubled number of plugins that sold in first half of 2012.

That should bring total numbers of EV sales in 2013 to 100 000+. Last year 50k+ were sold. And year before that, 2011 there were around 17k EV sales in US.

If numbers continue to double each year - we are are on the way to have a million EV in 2015 or 2016 in US.

Highlights :
- After a few months PHEVs overtook BEVs, mainly because of Volt's renewed better performance and Tesla shifting to EU
- BEVs are selling at 5 times the pace of last year because of Model S & a big jump in Leaf sales
- Leaf sales are still supply constrained as there is only a 35 day inventory with dealers
- Pligin Prius continues to perform poorly compared to last year and Toyota shows no signs of trying to improve things
- Compliance EVs continue to sell small numbers
- Ford C-Max Energi is also performing poorly compared to initial sales last year, with both Fusion & C-Max Energis selling about 400 a month
- It is not clear why Honda is even selling Accord PHEV with sales of just 50 a month.

Monthly-Plugins.png

Last edited:
I think the Tesla Model S is way low. When I picked up my car in the last week of Ju
ne they did 600 cars.
S figures are as estimated by insideevs.com. Note that this is only US (actually for S includes Canada) - Tesla ofcourse is making and shipping cars to Europe as well now. But I won't be surprised if Tesla delivered more in the US last month. We should know when they report the quarterly earnings.

Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

For June we estimate Tesla sold 950 Model S sedans in North America. How did we come to this conclusion? Some past precedent, financial records and a little common sense:

Knowing that if Tesla would struggle in any month to meet their weekly production goal of 400 units, it would be June
The fact that a notice to shareholders foretold the company’s revenues would likely take a hit of about 500 units (likely due to the changeover and long shipping/regulation delays on cars now heading to Europe)
Then there is also the fact the company said they expected to sell 4,500 units in Q2.

Maybe I am too optimistic, but something is telling me that we are in for a (little) surprice.

According to the letter of the Q1 2013 Earnings Call they had indeed planned to produce those 500 European Model S's in June 2013, but instead of doing that, along the way they must have must have decided to walk a different path. They must have decided to delay the European Model S's to July 2013. Maybe because of the increasing demand for the Tesla Model S in the US?

I think that in Q2 2013 there were somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 Tesla Model S's actually delivered to customers mainly in the US and a few in Canada as well. That's the way I see it.