Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just assigned VIN after being on hold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had placed an order for an M3 LR AWD with FSD at the end of April but asked that they hold the match until the end of May since I was moving from an apartment to a house.

I hadn't seen a VIN for a week, so when I asked the advisor, he copied in the delivery team and a VIN showed up on the website this morning - 5YJ3E1EB5KF3864xx. I called to ask if they knew the manufacture date and he told me he thought it was just coming out of the factory and I should be able to get delivery the week after next in the Chicago area. I see a lot of serial numbers listed in the survey table that are much larger, so not sure I believe it is just coming out of the factory. But I am guessing that it was in May.

I am pretty nervous about all the posts about finding a lot of defects at delivery, and I am hoping the odds are with me based on the number of cars being manufactured per week that I get one with minimal issues. Really looking forward to driving it though.

VINs are not produced sequentially so just because there are higher VINs out there does not mean that yours is older. Your DA should be able to give you the month and year it was produced.

As far as defects, keep in mind that more people post about things they find that are wrong as opposed to those that are right. So you'll find a lot more negative posts than positive posts. Odds are you'll get one with no issues.