Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought a Model 3, question on wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just bought a model 3 and am looking to have a wall connector installed. I see it says you should use 60 amp breaker, but I'm thinking down the road a little and if I were to have two tesla's, is it better to just get a 100 amp breaker put in?

First connector is maybe 5 feet or so. right on same wall. In theory I could hit car I'm about to bring home and one in the driveway with the one charger. Not even sure if two chargers are really needed just didn't want to do it again in the future.

First connector is maybe 5 feet or so. right on same wall. In theory I could hit car I'm about to bring home and one in the driveway with the one charger. Not even sure if two chargers are really needed just didn't want to do it again in the future.

How big a breaker / circuit you can put in depends on your electrical load calculation. You can ask your electrician about putting in a larger circuit but as you already know, it wont do anything for your incoming model 3. It either maxes out at 32 amps or 48 amps depending on which one you got. Since you dont have a long run, and you would likely have to have your electrician come back out anyway if you were going to get another tesla and wanted to charge both at the same time, I say just go with the 60amp for now, and address later "later".

How big a breaker / circuit you can put in depends on your electrical load calculation. You can ask your electrician about putting in a larger circuit but as you already know, it wont do anything for your incoming model 3. It either maxes out at 32 amps or 48 amps depending on which one you got. Since you dont have a long run, and you would likely have to have your electrician come back out anyway if you were going to get another tesla and wanted to charge both at the same time, I say just go with the 60amp for now, and address later "later".

In this case, I second this. Generally you go with higher-grade wiring in advance to avoid having to re-do the run. In your case, re-running 5 ft isn't that big a deal.

If you install 2 chargers, not ganged together, you will want two separate 60A circuits, each with a dedicated breaker.

Note that if you don't have the capacity in your breaker panel for two 60A circuits, you can install the chargers on lower rated circuits. For instance, a 40A breaker will provide for 32A charging, or about 30MPH.

If you want to future proof your setup, run a 2 gauge aluminum wire from your main panel to a sub panel. From there set up your 6 gauge wire to supply the 60 amp circuit for now. If in the future you need 100 amp service, you can run copper 2 gauge to the Charger. The newest wall connector’s wire fittings are too small to receive a wire that will provide 100 amps, because it’s only designed to take max 48 amps from a 60 amp circuit. The previous generation wall connector could be wired up to a 100 amp circuit, drawing 80 amps max (Car dependent).

This is all dependent on your home’s main panel having the headroom for additional 60 or 100amp service.

• Disagree
Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Hi,

Just bought a model 3 and am looking to have a wall connector installed. I see it says you should use 60 amp breaker, but I'm thinking down the road a little and if I were to have two tesla's, is it better to just get a 100 amp breaker put in?

I just had a wall connector put in for my Model 3. The electrician put in a new 100 AMP service for me. The max amperage on the new Tesla Connector is 48 AMPs and I have it on a 60 AMP breaker. So, theoretically, you should be able to add another wall connector and run both at the same time on a 100 AMP service -- keep in mind that you may have limitations on your house service capability. Imagine charging 2x Teslas and running the HVAC, etc. Lots of current there. Just to be clear....my install may be different from most as the electrician ADDed a new service box from the outside feed rather than adding a circuit on to my existing service. I charge during super off peak time (11PM-7AM) taking advantage of a plug-in electric vehicle tariff offered by Georgia Power. Hope I made sense of all that.

Attachments

• IMG_1745.jpeg
    IMG_1745.jpeg
    499.3 KB · Views: 59
Hi,

Depends on your car. SR+ can't take as much amperage as the LR-based models.

Also, you typically have up to 6 hours overnight to charge your car at the lowest rates (at least here with Cobb EMC), so how many hours a day are you really going to charge? On a 60A circuit with 48A continuous, you can charge a LR-based Model 3 at about 14% per hour, so you could charge from 20% to 90% in about 5 hours, which is is unusual level of charging for most situations.

One installation scenario might be have a fast charger and a slower plug. For example: have 60A using the HPWC and also (say) a 6-20 socket to use with the Mobile Charger, which is actually fast enough (240v/16A continuous) for most overnight purposes (4.7%/hr). Then you'd be able to support 2 Teslas and keep your total allocation at 80A.
As a bonus, it can be useful to have a 6-20 socket in your garage.

Or just install a couple of linked HPWC attached to a single 60A supply and let the HPWC coordinate the charging.

Also to note: the new gen 3 connectors can't share a large wire to a junction box. They require their own circuit with a max 60a breaker. See this post:
2 Tesla Charging setup
Well, let's clarify this a little, as I don't think your wording is quite accurate. Yes, they can share a large wire (like a 100A main circuit) to do most of the run to the garage, but then that junction box does need to be a subpanel with individual breakers for each for the final branches to each wall connector. And then the smart current sharing, which is to be enabled in a future update, would be able to manage to stay within the limits of that main 100A circuit. It's dumb that Tesla released this without that capability implemented yet, but it looks like a nice feature.

But my point is that it doesn't have to be completely separate runs all the way from your main panel, which seemed to be what you were saying.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin