Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought my first Tesla. Now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought a 2022 Model S w/FSD from out of state dealer and expecting delivery in the next week. Wondering what are the best resources for setting up the vehicle for the first time? YouTube? Tesla website? Others? Help much appreciated!
I used YouTube while sitting in the car. Found a three minute video, one at a time on what I wanted to know.

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
Read the electronic owners manual twice. There is so much hidden and not advertised, you will get so much more enjoyment when you see what all the car can do. Service is generally horrible. New features are added, while other features stop working until they fix the new bugs. Just enjoy the basic car, and overlook all the other features that don't work very well or are being implemented on Elon's Tesla time frame (good luck!). Awesome car. Not much of anything to maintain. Air filters every 2 -3 years. Brakes usually 70,000+ (maybe less f you use the FSD alot, as it is not good at optimizing regenerative braking), and of course, tires.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
Bought a 2022 Model S w/FSD from out of state dealer and expecting delivery in the next week. Wondering what are the best resources for setting up the vehicle for the first time? YouTube? Tesla website? Others? Help much appreciated!
Assuming this is your first Tesla, sir down and RTFM (they are online on Tesla web site as well as built into the car). Yeah its not fun but the car is VERY different from ICE vehicles (and other EVs for that matter). Pay attention to locking and phone pairing etc (since that is an area that can be confusing). Setup the phone app and a Tesla account if you've not already done so. Dont get too adventurous on day 1 .. drive the car for a while till you have the various basic settings (mirrors, seats) and drive modes the way you like them. Get used to one-pedal driving (it will feel "wrong" at first, but like new shoes it will seem great after a few hours of driving). Try the nav system, and setup your Home and Work locations. Dont try autopilot/FSD until you are happy driving the car yourself (cause you might need to take over in a hurry).

Later on, work through the various menus to see if there are any settings you dont understand or want to tweak.

Finally, enjoy the car!!! :)

Upvote 0
Assuming this is your first Tesla, sir down and RTFM (they are online on Tesla web site as well as built into the car). Yeah its not fun but the car is VERY different from ICE vehicles (and other EVs for that matter). Pay attention to locking and phone pairing etc (since that is an area that can be confusing). Setup the phone app and a Tesla account if you've not already done so. Dont get too adventurous on day 1 .. drive the car for a while till you have the various basic settings (mirrors, seats) and drive modes the way you like them. Get used to one-pedal driving (it will feel "wrong" at first, but like new shoes it will seem great after a few hours of driving). Try the nav system, and setup your Home and Work locations. Dont try autopilot/FSD until you are happy driving the car yourself (cause you might need to take over in a hurry).

Later on, work through the various menus to see if there are any settings you dont understand or want to tweak.

Finally, enjoy the car!!! :)
Great tips. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Congrats on the 2022 S. The car is amazing in so many ways. There are a few rattles that I had in my 22 S. The back seats rattled up and even more when the back seat were laid down. The good news is it is easily fix by Tesla. The car sits low, so, I raise the suspension just before parking when there is a curb. The car remembers and will lift automatically when you go back to those spots. Your cellphone is your key, so keep a spare card with you or hidden in the car for service and valet. Tint the windows, keeps the interior cooler. The trunk lifts high, but can be programmed to stop at a lower level if your garage door is low. Unless you need too, don’t charge over 80%, 75% is better for longer battery life. Enjoy the car. Let me know if you have any questions once you get the car. Cheers 🥃

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0
Congrats on the 2022 S. The car is amazing in so many ways. There are a few rattles that I had in my 22 S. The back seats rattled up and even more when the back seat were laid down. The good news is it is easily fix by Tesla. The car sits low, so, I raise the suspension just before parking when there is a curb. The car remembers and will lift automatically when you go back to those spots. Your cellphone is your key, so keep a spare card with you or hidden in the car for service and valet. Tint the windows, keeps the interior cooler. The trunk lifts high, but can be programmed to stop at a lower level if your garage door is low. Unless you need too, don’t charge over 80%, 75% is better for longer battery life. Enjoy the car. Let me know if you have any questions once you get the car. Cheers 🥃
Wow! Many thanks! 🥃

Upvote 0