Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just bought my LONG RANGE Model Y made in Austin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you say that? From the information they gave in the battery day presentation the energy density of the 4680 cells is the same.
Why did they release a 279 mile 4680? They likely built a full pack 4680 and it fell short of the current 2170 MY in some way (weight, range, acceleration) so they reduced amount of cells and are selling that variant. Tesla does not want to have 2 different LR variants with different specs on the market at the same time.

And battery day is not facts. It is purely speculation. Please stop using battery day to justify anything related to current production.

Why did they release a 279 mile 4680? They likely built a full pack 4680 and it fell short of the current 2170 MY in some way (weight, range, acceleration) so they reduced amount of cells and are selling that variant. Tesla does not want to have 2 different LR variants with different specs on the market at the same time.

And battery day is not facts. It is purely speculation. Please stop using battery day to justify anything related to current production.
Well, everything you just wrote is speculation. I can think of many possible scenarios and explanations. If you take the time to watch and interpret what was presented in the battery day presentation one of the points you’ll notice was that the 4680 battery is 5x the volume which corresponds exactly to the ‘5x the energy’ point they claimed. Although the electrode tab design changed, the fundamental battery chemistry is the same meaning the energy density (=kWh/kg) is the same. There are other factors which may change the total vehicle weight (battery pack housing, cooling, etc, but I’ve seen zero information on any of that thus far.

If you’re going to make assumptions, state them as such, don’t present them as facts when they’re not.

Reactions: Yelobird
Well, everything you just wrote is speculation. I can think of many possible scenarios and explanations. If you take the time to watch and interpret what was presented in the battery day presentation one of the points you’ll notice was that the 4680 battery is 5x the volume which corresponds exactly to the ‘5x the energy’ point they claimed. Although the electrode tab design changed, the fundamental battery chemistry is the same meaning the energy density (=kWh/kg) is the same. There are other factors which may change the total vehicle weight (battery pack housing, cooling, etc, but I’ve seen zero information on any of that thus far.

If you’re going to make assumptions, state them as such, don’t present them as facts when they’re not.
I agree my comment is speculation. That’s why I used the word LIKELY in my comment. I didn’t say they did.

And my comment on battery day being speculation is a fact. They hadn’t produced any 4680 cells at that point in time. It was all based on high level back of napkin hypotheticals. IF we do this, what will be the result. No, WE DID THIS, these are the results.

And your “5x volume being exactly 5x energy” point has already been proven false so your “facts” are not holding. Someone had a cell sent to some college lab (upstream in this thread or the larger Austin model y thread) and the cell wall was 5x thicker which means less room for anode/cathode which means less energy. He also proved “the fundamental battery chemistry is the same so the energy density is the same” as being false since no silicon is present in the battery chemistry while it is present in current 2170.

Again, please don’t use Battery Day speculation to prove facts. Take your own advice. Battery Day was a marketing exercise to build hype and draw investors and show what they HOPE to do in the future. Whether they will ever reach those GOALS is YET to be seen.

I agree my comment is speculation. That’s why I used the word LIKELY in my comment. I didn’t say they did.

And my comment on battery day being speculation is a fact. They hadn’t produced any 4680 cells at that point in time. It was all based on high level back of napkin hypotheticals. IF we do this, what will be the result. No, WE DID THIS, these are the results.

And your “5x volume being exactly 5x energy” point has already been proven false so your “facts” are not holding. Someone had a cell sent to some college lab (upstream in this thread or the larger Austin model y thread) and the cell wall was 5x thicker which means less room for anode/cathode which means less energy. He also proved “the fundamental battery chemistry is the same so the energy density is the same” as being false since no silicon is present in the battery chemistry while it is present in current 2170.

Again, please don’t use Battery Day speculation to prove facts. Take your own advice. Battery Day was a marketing exercise to build hype and draw investors and show what they HOPE to do in the future. Whether they will ever reach those GOALS is YET to be seen.
In your original post, you presented it as fact, no ‘likely’ or other qualifications.

There is no link in this thread regarding a battery analysis, either. The only analysis I’ve seen was a link to a tear down video of a damaged battery that looked at physical characteristics. Because it was a damaged cell there was no electrical analysis done. Sandy Munro has started a battery pack tear down as of but the last video I saw they hadn’t even gotten the pack full open, much less been able to extract and analyze a battery.

My 5x statement was based strictly on geometry and the 4680 cell is actually about 5.5x the total volume, so even with thicker walls the actual electrode volume will still be very close.

Edit: I just did another search and all I found was this stating the batteries had a higher energy density. This was apparently a 6 month old battery and not necessarily the final production design, though.

In your original post, you presented it as fact, no ‘likely’ or other qualifications.

There is no link in this thread regarding a battery analysis, either. The only analysis I’ve seen was a link to a tear down video of a damaged battery that looked at physical characteristics. Because it was a damaged cell there was no electrical analysis done. Sandy Munro has started a battery pack tear down as of but the last video I saw they hadn’t even gotten the pack full open, much less been able to extract and analyze a battery.

My 5x statement was based strictly on geometry and the 4680 cell is actually about 5.5x the total volume, so even with thicker walls the actual electrode volume will still be very close.

Edit: I just did another search and all I found was this stating the batteries had a higher energy density. This was apparently a 6 month old battery and not necessarily the final production design, though.

Which original post? The one you quoted? This is a screenshot. Please show me where it doesn’t say likely. The second part about 2 different models should be a fact. If Tesla wants to sell one model to the eastern US that is different from the one going to the Western US, they are asking for trouble. No sane company would ever do that.

This an online board. I make no representation that I work for Tesla and everything I say is a fact. In fact, I try to use words like likely or maybe to show that it is my thoughts.

You make good points about the battery analysis being 6 months old. However, I don’t think Tesla has advanced the cells at this point. I think they are likely trying to scale. They likely have reached a threshold they are happy with from a cost and result standpoint and are now trying to scale. So what if it fell short of 330 miles in a MY at about the same weight as 2170? The WHOLE point of 4680 is about reducing manufacturing cost and increasing ease of vehicle assembly. Any performance benefit is purely a side benefit and what the hype machines are focusing on. Tesla wants to make more and they will do that by spending as little time and money as possible and still producing vehicles to their standards. So what the 4680 MY fell a little short? People are buying them for $62k and these likely have a higher margin than the 2170 LR at $66k.

1658117548813.png

Pasting the image so people don't have to DL. Not sure why i can't edit my post there.
View attachment 829704
How does the Texas delivery exactly work?

- I read that Tesla cannot sell cars in Texas, so does the car made in Austin have to be shipped to another state,
and then tansported back to Texas to a delivery center?

About the only Texas delivery and only Texas registration, don't Sandy Munro who is in Michigan got a MY from a Florida resident?

How does the Texas delivery exactly work?

- I read that Tesla cannot sell cars in Texas, so does the car made in Austin have to be shipped to another state,
and then tansported back to Texas to a delivery center?

About the only Texas delivery and only Texas registration, don't Sandy Munro who is in Michigan got a MY from a Florida resident?
The only thing that happens is the paperwork is done in another state

Which original post?

Please show me these verified reports of 4680 LR MY from Austin. It would be major news because LR 4680 will not be 330 miles or would be much heavier and have slower acceleration times.

when you watch the battery day presentation, they made a lot of claims that were more goals for the future and that many people misinterpreted.

Example - “5x the energy … and 5x the power.” People saw that and thought “25x better” but it doesn’t work like that. Power is how fast you get the energy out. It has nothing to do with the total energy. And the batteries are bigger so it’s expected they’ll have more energy. unless the energy density Is higher.

They also talked about changes to the electrode, but all of it was for some ambiguous future date. People assumed that the first 4680 battery would be this grand, magical device, but they never said that. Like you said, what they have now is the first gen 4680 battery. I fully expect them to implement further refinements over time.

when you watch the battery day presentation, they made a lot of claims that were more goals for the future and that many people misinterpreted.

Example - “5x the energy … and 5x the power.” People saw that and thought “25x better” but it doesn’t work like that. Power is how fast you get the energy out. It has nothing to do with the total energy. And the batteries are bigger so it’s expected they’ll have more energy. unless the energy density Is higher.

They also talked about changes to the electrode, but all of it was for some ambiguous future date. People assumed that the first 4680 battery would be this grand, magical device, but they never said that. Like you said, what they have now is the first gen 4680 battery. I fully expect them to implement further refinements over time.
Elon making claims that we’re more goals for the future….that’s an interesting way to spin the BS that comes from Elon’s mouth. Just like FSD is right around the corner.

I think the science including the weight and battery capacity of the 279 mile MY AWD 4680 proves that statement to be true. A 15% larger battery does not mean 15% more range. Again, you also have to ask yourself why Tesla would not use 4680 LR AWD if it could get 330 miles. Instead they built a separate 2170 line. Either 4680 LR isn't up to snuff or there is something else going on. Neither answer will sit well with anyone on this board who thought the 4680 was a revolution in battery performance and would instantly add range and speed compared to the 2170 based cars of the same battery specs.

I think this may have been said before but Tesla had a problem. If they made 2 LR Y's, one in Freemont with 2170's and one in Austin with the new 4680's, the new injected front end and the new upgraded paint shop, which would you want to buy?? They are short handed on the 4680's and the 2170's are plentiful - doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this stuff out. This way the 2 LR Y's don't really compete with each other except the front casting and the cargo cover.

• Helpful
Reactions: chippwalters
I think this may have been said before but Tesla had a problem. If they made 2 LR Y's, one in Freemont with 2170's and one in Austin with the new 4680's, the new injected front end and the new upgraded paint shop, which would you want to buy?? They are short handed on the 4680's and the 2170's are plentiful - doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this stuff out. This way the 2 LR Y's don't really compete with each other except the front casting and the cargo cover.
I posted something like that before - can't remember if it was this thread or not. Tesla would have a lot of discontent if cars from one plant had 20% more range than those from another plant. Even if they suddenly had a battery that could give 50% more range it would financially be better for them to put fewer cells in the pack to achieve an equivalent range and/or start offering an extended range model for more money. Regardless the only ways a battery cell alone can increase range is either by increasing energy density or by increasing efficiency (via lower internal resistances yielding lower power loss during charging/discharging.) Beyond that it's simply cramming more cells in the battery pack.

Like you said, what I've read is that they have relatively few of the 4680 cells so they're maximizing the number of battery packs they can make by not making the LR pack. This is as much rumor as anything else here, though. Who knows for sure.

I saw another report of someone with a 4680 pack who was able to charge up to 90% in one hour. They also noted they could drive past 0% without any loss in power and even at 100% they could still use regenerative braking. A single explanation for this would be that the battery actually has more capacity than reported and the car is really using the 'middle 80%' of the batteries' capacity. That means there is additional capacity available above the reported 100%, additional energy left below the reported 0% and the charging would occur almost exclusively in the region where the batteries can charge the fastest. I have no proof of this, it's simply a hypothesis based on a single anecdotal report so we'll have to see when more information is available.

I posted something like that before - can't remember if it was this thread or not. Tesla would have a lot of discontent if cars from one plant had 20% more range than those from another plant. Even if they suddenly had a battery that could give 50% more range it would financially be better for them to put fewer cells in the pack to achieve an equivalent range and/or start offering an extended range model for more money. Regardless the only ways a battery cell alone can increase range is either by increasing energy density or by increasing efficiency (via lower internal resistances yielding lower power loss during charging/discharging.) Beyond that it's simply cramming more cells in the battery pack.

Like you said, what I've read is that they have relatively few of the 4680 cells so they're maximizing the number of battery packs they can make by not making the LR pack. This is as much rumor as anything else here, though. Who knows for sure.

I saw another report of someone with a 4680 pack who was able to charge up to 90% in one hour. They also noted they could drive past 0% without any loss in power and even at 100% they could still use regenerative braking. A single explanation for this would be that the battery actually has more capacity than reported and the car is really using the 'middle 80%' of the batteries' capacity. That means there is additional capacity available above the reported 100%, additional energy left below the reported 0% and the charging would occur almost exclusively in the region where the batteries can charge the fastest. I have no proof of this, it's simply a hypothesis based on a single anecdotal report so we'll have to see when more information is available.
Please stop saying a 4680 LR will have 20% more range than 2170 LR. There has never been anything said or printed to validate this point. Battery Day was not about increasing range in vehicles. It was showing that a new format could save money from a manufacturing standpoint by allowing them to get more range out of less cells (less kwh). However, it was all hypothetical and current production of 4680 has not lived up to their hypotheses form a performance standpoint. The MY AWD from Austin is 50 miles short on range and doesn't show the expected weight savings. A "full pack" 4680 LR MY would likley have less range than the current 2170. On this point we can agree that Tesla doesn't want to have two different spec LR MY available. You think Austin would be producing a 400 mile MY. This will NEVER happen. MX doesn't have 400 miles. MX doesn't have 2170 so why do you think it will get 4680? MX is still the pinnacle of Tesla SUV so selling a MY with much more range will essentially kill the MX.

As far as the 100% and 0% arguments, those hold true with 2170 cars. It is the software that allows this change, not the battery format. It is not in Tesla's interests from a financial standpoint to software lock battery capacity. I would bet the take rate is much less than is needed to validate the cost of the extra cells. It could be that they have a slightly higher than normal reserve at top and bottom but maybe 5 miles, not 25 miles. We won't know for sure until Munroe finishes with the pink foam exploration.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Please stop saying a 4680 LR will have 20% more range than 2170 LR. There has never been anything said or printed to validate this point. Battery Day was not about increasing range in vehicles. It was showing that a new format could save money from a manufacturing standpoint by allowing them to get more range out of less cells (less kwh). However, it was all hypothetical and current production of 4680 has not lived up to their hypotheses form a performance standpoint. The MY AWD from Austin is 50 miles short on range and doesn't show the expected weight savings. A "full pack" 4680 LR MY would likley have less range than the current 2170. On this point we can agree that Tesla doesn't want to have two different spec LR MY available. You think Austin would be producing a 400 mile MY. This will NEVER happen. MX doesn't have 400 miles. MX doesn't have 2170 so why do you think it will get 4680? MX is still the pinnacle of Tesla SUV so selling a MY with much more range will essentially kill the MX.

As far as the 100% and 0% arguments, those hold true with 2170 cars. It is the software that allows this change, not the battery format. It is not in Tesla's interests from a financial standpoint to software lock battery capacity. I would bet the take rate is much less than is needed to validate the cost of the extra cells. It could be that they have a slightly higher than normal reserve at top and bottom but maybe 5 miles, not 25 miles. We won't know for sure until Munroe finishes with the pink foam exploration.
Sigh. Please stop accusing me of saying things I never said.

Sigh. Please stop accusing me of saying things I never said.
When you read your post, it seems like you are supporting that Tesla didn’t release a LR 4680 because it would compete and be different than the 2170. You don’t say it would be worse. You say:
Tesla would have a lot of discontent if cars from one plant had 20% more range than those from another plant.
What is someone to infer from this statement if it’s not that a 4680 LR MY from Austin would have 20% more range than a comparable 2170 LR from Fremont? It sounds like it’s not your intent but it’s how it reads. It’s how this myth that 4680 is superior to 2170 in terms of range and capacity is perpetuated. Random people read well intentioned quotes and then take them to another level.