Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just canceled my MX order - here's why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you know how much waste Tesla is producing by poor quality. Just imagine how many Tesla Model 3 rear glass roofs are in land fills, and how many Model S drive units.

There are other cars nearly as green. And their total carbon footprint might be better for the planet. But I would bet, due to reliability a Prius might do less harm to the planet than a Model 3. Energy to make cars isn’t free, nor is electricity to run them. You have to look at the whole impact. Not just the consumption of the fuel to make it move.

Driving 120 mile trip right now in a Volt.

48806129383_73777d7329_h_d.jpg

Pretty impressive numbers.

It’s quieter, smoother, body panel alignment is flawless, paint is flawless, has a nice hatchback, CarPlay. No checklists for this car. It has native Pandora, Spotify and more, to many to list. Paid $31k. But no it won’t go 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and I could care less that it doesn’t. And I bet it does better in snow than a RWD Model 3.

We traded our 2019 Volt Premier for our Model 3 after 4 months of ownership.

Rode nicely. Anything over 50 miles required gas and I was always looking for a plug to maximize EV mileage. The back seat was too small for our kids. But there's no way I'd pay $31k for a discontinued vehicle when I could pay $35k for one that's safer, looks a ton better, goes faster, has better residual value, and has long term support with software updates.

We have a truck with CarPlay and it's nice. I doubt Tesla will add it anytime soon, but Apple is continually opening up iOS -- so I'm guessing the worlds will continue to converge beyond bluetooth, call history and contact lists.

We traded our 2019 Volt Premier for our Model 3 after 4 months of ownership.

Rode nicely. Anything over 50 miles required gas and I was always looking for a plug to maximize EV mileage. The back seat was too small for our kids. But there's no way I'd pay $31k for a discontinued vehicle when I could pay $35k for one that's safer, looks a ton better, goes faster, has better residual value, and has long term support with software updates.

We have a truck with CarPlay and it's nice. I doubt Tesla will add it anytime soon, but Apple is continually opening up iOS -- so I'm guessing the worlds will continue to converge beyond bluetooth, call history and contact lists.

I had a Model 3 Performance for a year. Don’t miss it a bit. The harsh ride gets old, constant worry of hitting a big puddle and tearing off the belly, loud as heck, frozen windows, frozen door handles, worry rear bumper might fall off, worry glass roof will crack again and have to pay for it. Poor USB music support. Never got the windshield clean on the Model 3 or the X. Not sure if it’s the inner plastic layer that is not clear or what. Volt is crystal clear.

Tonight I said Play Artist Enya on the Volt. It Came back that it found that artist on my Phone and the USB stick. And asked which I wanted. I have 10,000 songs on my USB stick. And the Volt doesn’t have to rescan every time I start the car.

Yeah, Elon says it’s safer. The same guy that said Robo Taxis next year and feature complete FSD 3 months from now. Half of what Elon says is total BS. Tesla will be working on bugs that V10 introduces for months. I skipped buying the FSD on my X. AutoPilot (auto steer) is the only that works at all. Look at the rising cost to insure Teslas will give you the true picture of how safe and costly they are to own. No rear cross path on Tesla. Volt does. Auto high beams (a safety feature in my book) work on the Volt they do not on the Model 3.

No phantom braking on ACC on Volt. It does on Model 3. And could easily cause an accident. Or road rage.

I lost my shirt selling my Model 3. I lost essentially nothing selling my ICE Jeep. And I’ve traded prior Jeeps early and lost nothing. You get essentially nothing for software options. Good luck with residual value. Perhaps a bare bones model 3 with no software options might do ok.

I feel safer in the Volt than the Model 3.

• Funny
Reactions: heems
Hi,

Hi! I'm in the process of deciding MX 75D or a M3P, since they are of a similar price point, which one would you recommend? I would love to have a fun but also comfortable car. I've been torn and have been watching countless review videos to try to make a decision.

As others have said they are quite different cars and will depend a lot on what you need and how you will use them. Generally I would recommend overall the Model 3 to most people as it has better range / efficiency for the money, is much smaller to drive and handles much better and is quicker. The only downside to the Model 3 is the trunk, which while decent size is not the same as the cargo capacity of the Model X. The Model X also has nicer rear seats if you get the 6/7 seat option, but with the 5 seater they are similar. The falcon wing doors on the X are really cool, but can be impractical sometimes, like inside a garage that doesn't have sufficient room to open them.

Hi,

Hi! I'm in the process of deciding MX 75D or a M3P, since they are of a similar price point, which one would you recommend? I would love to have a fun but also comfortable car. I've been torn and have been watching countless review videos to try to make a decision.

As others have said they are very different cars.

We just finished a road trip with me, my daughter, my wife, and my parents in our 6 seater 75D X. In-total spent about 5hrs in the car over 2 days, absolutely no complaints, loads of space for everyone + luggage. This was after spending a week driving a sedan the size of a Model 3, yes the X is clearly the heavier/larger car and that's reflected in worse consumption and worse handling in corners, but for comfortable transportation for large numbers of humans the X wins every time.

If I didn't have the need for a family wagon I would trade in our X for a Model 3, but since we do regularly have to transport us + grandparents our X is going no where. We will get a Model 3 for my wife at some point but we wouldn't swap our 75D X for any Model 3.

Reactions: MXWing
What does discontinued have to do with anything? They all became instantly unsafe the day they declared end of production?

Cars are discontinued all the time.

I’d be way more concerned with Tesla discontinuing a vehicle than GM. It’s not like the Volt is Tesla or something.

If you had acc on, relied on Volt lane keep assist and fell asleep - you would be dead.

Volt cross traffic sensors creates false positives all the time. It can be traffic going completely parallel to you and you would never strike them if you stayed in your spot or backed up.

Did the poor lane keep performance and cross traffic false positives ever improve on the Volts or will improve?

No. And they never will.

If Tesla has no “cross traffic” sensing capabilities, how is smart summon going to work?

A Volt is not a Tesla, you are right about that. I should know as I probably owned Volts longer than you have.

If you had acc on, relied on Volt lane keep assist and fell asleep - you would be dead.

Volt cross traffic sensors creates false positives all the time. It can be traffic going completely parallel to you and you would never strike them if you stayed in your spot or backed up.

Did the poor lane keep performance and cross traffic false positives ever improve on the Volts or will improve?

No. And they never will.

If Tesla has no “cross traffic” sensing capabilities, how is smart summon going to work?

A Volt is not a Tesla, you are right about that. I should know as I probably owned Volts longer than you have.

I was thinking the exact same thing about smart summon. That’s why I didn’t bother with FSD on my X. You certainly can do it with cameras (in good conditions) but the Tesla cameras are optimized for moving forward and very limited in reverse (or what’s coming at you from behind), especially when blinded between to large vehicles and trying to back out.

You will never see FSD with the current sensors, Guaranteed. Just more Parlor tricks. It needs long range sensors pointing 45 degrees out the rear and needs some form of radar in the rear. Similar to what is in front might work. Current hardware sensors are crippling in reverse. I also think it needs camera or radar 90 degrees to the side. We might see limited highway FSD with current hardware.

I’ve had rear cross path on several vehicles and it’s worked fine. Chevy volt seems on par. Yes some false positives. Like that never happens in a Tesla while doing 70 mph down the highway, now does it.

Based on your description of rear cross path issues, I’m not sure you even know what it is. “Traffic in parallel doesn’t happen when I backing of a blind parking spot, that’s when rear cross path is needed and enabled”. It’s only armed in reverse. Now the same sensors might be used for other things to (like blind spot, which seems to work fine).

I’m not going to argue Tesla AutoSteer isn’t nice. But I never planned on taking a nap with it and I know plenty of places you’d be dead pretty quick if you took a nap on AutoPilot.

Lane assist is not lane keep. If you want to compare apples to apples compare it to GM’s AutoSteer (which I know little about). The lane assist works just like my Jeep. It’s just a nudge if you start to drift.

I got my X before the Volt arrived. If I got the Volt first I think I would have canceled my X. Because the fit and finish for $31k slapped me in the head about how much I was willing to look the other way on the Model 3. The X is much better than the 3. But I suspect some X issues will rear their head over time too. The X still has issues that the Volt doesn’t. Which is a little scary. And it’s not just a couple things. I’m not saying I would have canceled the X but I sure would have thought about it more carefully. Not everything can be solved with Software.

I’ll assume then, since you’re such a professed absolutist about needing to lead by example, that you don’t travel by air, or eat meat, or do any number of other things that are harmful to the planet at scale. Or are you only a climate champion/scold when it comes to cars?

Yes, you are correct on most points:

1. Almost never eat animal flesh as it's immoral to do so now that healthy substitutes (plants, the things we are DESIGNED to eat) are plentiful:

www.meat.org

www.goveg.com

The Comparative Anatomy of Eating - Vegsource.com

2. 100% solar (grid battery back up is all 100% renewable). Powers the MS's and the house.

3. Travel by air as it's the only CURRENT option for long-distance travel, at least for the next few years. Hence, the urgency of replacing ALL ground-based ICE transport with EV's.

Not to be a pill, but now that we've addressed your logical fallacy, perhaps it's time for you to look in the mirror and talk to the source of the problem?

Your logical fallacy is no true scotsman

• Love
Reactions: Electroman