Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just canceled my MX order - here's why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Hi! I'm in the process of deciding MX 75D or a M3P, since they are of a similar price point, which one would you recommend? I would love to have a fun but also comfortable car. I've been torn and have been watching countless review videos to try to make a decision.

we have an MX100D (Raven) and a P3D-.

the P3D has newer tech, is a blast to drive but not very comfortable long distance like the MX. The MX is a comfort cruiser with speed when you need it - but definitely missing some of the touches and tech in the 3. Good luck.

what tech do see as missing in the MX?

Smart phone as your key (much more seamless with the 3).
The supercharging speed is slower (both V2 and forthcoming V3)
Maps have a more “3D” look to them during navigation
Updates come sooner with the 3 then trickle to the X (generally but not always).
OEM wireless smartphone charging (wife’s favorite feature on the 3).
V10 has a whole new virtual interface that lets you change POV (this is the information that is on the center dash on the X, so not clear if it’s even possible to do).

Then there are the creature comforts - back seat lacking a center armrest, no coat hangers, much better center console storage, no rear seat storage bins.

it’s quite a lot a little stuff that adds up to a much more refined/evolved experience on the 3. And our X is only a couple of months old.

Smart phone as your key (much more seamless with the 3).
The supercharging speed is slower (both V2 and forthcoming V3)
Maps have a more “3D” look to them during navigation
Updates come sooner with the 3 then trickle to the X (generally but not always).
OEM wireless smartphone charging (wife’s favorite feature on the 3).
V10 has a whole new virtual interface that lets you change POV (this is the information that is on the center dash on the X, so not clear if it’s even possible to do).

Then there are the creature comforts - back seat lacking a center armrest, no coat hangers, much better center console storage, no rear seat storage bins.

it’s quite a lot a little stuff that adds up to a much more refined/evolved experience on the 3. And our X is only a couple of months old.

Wireless charging on Model 3 was a joke. You can’t see your phone, and your phone can’t see you (iPhone X in my case) and GPS is Marginal. I ended up with a ProClip in the Model 3 and in the Model X. The Model X location for ProClip is way nicer.

I’ll take the dual screens on the X any day.

Smart Phone as Key is nice but some folks prefer a true FOB.

I’ll take the Tow hitch, dynamic suspension, quieter ride, smoother ride, adjustable height, massive storage space, dual screens, heated wheel, and way to many more things to list on the X.

Oh, the 3 did have the cool HVAC fans.

Wireless charging on Model 3 was a joke. You can’t see your phone, and your phone can’t see you (iPhone X in my case) and GPS is Marginal. I ended up with a ProClip in the Model 3 and in the Model X. The Model X location for ProClip is way nicer.

I have had ProClips in several cars before but was concerned the ProClip mount over the vent would block too much air. How have you found it?

Last edited:
I have had ProClips in several cars before but was concerned the ProClip mount over the vent would block too much air. How have you found it?

I have not had it long enough to say. But it is almost the identical location I had in my Jeep Summit and it was absolutely fine. It’s not really “blocking” it, it’s just redirecting it ;)

It is absolutely the best and safest location to mount a phone. You don’t have to take your eyes off the road to do basic things like unlock, start Waze etc.

The Model 3 ProClip location wasn’t bad, on the passenger side of the console, but I didn’t like having to look down at it for everything. But was still better than the factory cubby, which is just an awful location. Yeah you can charge it there, but nothing else.

I added a wireless charger to the Model 3 ProClip that worked perfect. I’m not sure I will on the X. Not sure I want the wire going up to the ProClip full time. If I can find a way to hide it I might.

Chevy Volt I just got my wife mounts it exactly in the same location as the Model 3. But that car had CarPlay so she’ll plug in normally and she won’t have to touch the phone because she has CarPlay. Absolutely Love that Volt.

I'm going to wait for Tesla to get serious about reliability and delivery consistency.

Despite some on these boards saying MX builds are improving, the consensus from independent sources like Consumer Reports is the opposite -- reliability on the MX is going DOWN. CR notes Drive System, Body Integrity, In Car Electronics have all declined over the past three years. Climate system is the only thing that improved. I can't risk a $120k purchase with screens going black mid-trip, doors unexpectedly opening or refusing to close.

It is clear that MX and MS are the bastard stepchildren of Tesla's focus, which is squarely on the M3. It's a shame but it's truth. I have two friends that recently ordered M3s and have already taken delivery. Meanwhile I'm waiting for the Fremont crumbs on a vehicle over 2x the price. And for what...? The LOWEST RELIABILITY SUV in the country? I'm fine to lose my $2500. I fear the loss would be even greater stewing in regret 6 months from now.

I just can't unsee this chart -- the damn car needs to work.

wO5sk4R.png

zSsFzoT.jpg

I'd suggest a Priorities Reboot is overdue.

Seriously.

Nowhere do you mention what else you'd buy in place of the Tesla, but I'll assume it's going to be an ICE vehicle.

With that stipulation in mind I ask, "Are you out of your friggin' mind?"

If the supposedly smart, intelligent, and well educated don't but EV's, and in absolutely massive numbers, then who the heck to you think will?

We face a massive and growing planetary-scale risk, for which the warning signs are becoming ever more intense and prolific, and you "vote" with your dollars to ADD to the problem because of suspect reliability of the Model X? (Oh the horror--A SERVICE VISIT!!! NOOOOOOOO!)

Wow, just wow.

Here's a tip: take a risk for future generations and just buy the damn Tesla. It:

1. Has a very long warranty, and can be extended for cheap within the first few months to EIGHT YEARS and 100k miles.
2. Mobile Service.
3. Leaves a usable planet for us and future generations.

Geesh.

Numerical models of ice sheets use a fixed shape to represent a cavity under the ice, rather than allowing the cavity to change and grow. The new discovery implies that this limitation most likely causes those models to underestimate how fast Thwaites is losing ice.

About the size of Florida, Thwaites Glacier is currently responsible for approximately 4 percent of global sea level rise. It holds enough ice to raise the world ocean a little over 2 feet (65 centimeters) and backstops neighboring glaciers that would raise sea levels an additional 8 feet (2.4 meters) if all the ice were lost.

[truncated]

Source:

News | Huge Cavity in Antarctic Glacier Signals Rapid Decay

So TSLA Pilot, your argument basically boils down to:

“no matter how poor quality or unreliable Tesla vehicles may be you owe it to the world to buy one, get the extended warranty, and stop complaining”

That is nuts and the very worst kind of koolaid drinking.

Let’s be honest, a few hundred thousand more EVs instead of ICE cars on the road isn’t the tipping point for the climate. Sure every EV adopted is great, but it’s not a panacea. Shaming anyone not buying an EV (particularly a Tesla) makes you look like a privileged jerk, not a champion for the environment.

Tesla has serious quality control and service issues and basically saying “everybody just grin and bear it for the planet” is a bad argument and isn’t going to result in the very real problems with the company being addressed.

Tesla has shown that when faced with increased demand they abandon QC and service. So throwing a bunch more demand at the company right now is probably going to make their current issues worse, not better. They need deep, structural changes within the organization that aren’t going to happen any time soon with their inability to focus on anything beyond this quarter’s numbers. For as innovative as Tesla is tech-wise, it is a TERRIBLY run business that is succeeding in spite of itself.

Consumers don’t owe Tesla anything. It’s the other way around. And if Tesla’s mission really is to bring EVs to the masses and save the planet then they owe it to the planet to get their s*** together as a company as much as you think people owe it to the planet to buy a Tesla.

Reactions: Petrocelli
Tesla has serious quality control and service issues .....

Tesla has shown that when faced with increased demand they abandon QC and service.

No they don't. Just because a few are loud and shout from the rooftops doesn't mean Tesla has systemic "serious quality issues". Sure there are some that have had real problems that were not addressed on time, but trying to hyperbole that to, 'Tesla abandon's QC' is utter nonsense.

There are 13 Teslas in my office parking lot. I speak to the owners often. Except one, no one else had to take the car back to SC for anything. And many of them are close to 1 year mark now, with mine at over 18 months and 24K miles with zero issues. Anecdotal? Yes. And so is every other quality issues that you read on the internet.

Reactions: john85775
So TSLA Pilot, your argument basically boils down to:

“no matter how poor quality or unreliable Tesla vehicles may be you owe it to the world to buy one, get the extended warranty, and stop complaining”

That is nuts and the very worst kind of koolaid drinking.

Let’s be honest, a few hundred thousand more EVs instead of ICE cars on the road isn’t the tipping point for the climate. Sure every EV adopted is great, but it’s not a panacea. Shaming anyone not buying an EV (particularly a Tesla) makes you look like a privileged jerk, not a champion for the environment.

Tesla has serious quality control and service issues and basically saying “everybody just grin and bear it for the planet” is a bad argument and isn’t going to result in the very real problems with the company being addressed.

Tesla has shown that when faced with increased demand they abandon QC and service. So throwing a bunch more demand at the company right now is probably going to make their current issues worse, not better. They need deep, structural changes within the organization that aren’t going to happen any time soon with their inability to focus on anything beyond this quarter’s numbers. For as innovative as Tesla is tech-wise, it is a TERRIBLY run business that is succeeding in spite of itself.

Consumers don’t owe Tesla anything. It’s the other way around. And if Tesla’s mission really is to bring EVs to the masses and save the planet then they owe it to the planet to get their s*** together as a company as much as you think people owe it to the planet to buy a Tesla.

OMG, what a lack of knowledge!

Let's try again.

Sure, if MX owners were be left stranded on the side of road, to be eaten by lions and tigers, you'd have a point.

But they're not, and you don't have a point.

The reality is that WE, as in "ALL OF US," have to lead if we're to have a usable planet.

Period.

Sure, the MX's reliability should be greater. But the way the stats game is played, even ONE problem that's common among a fleet will place you at or near the bottom of the rankings.

And for that reason you appear willing to abandon the planet's future?

Wow, just wow.

Either you really don't have a even the slightest clue as to utterly massive risks involved with our planetary-scale experiment (on our only planet), or you're a remarkably, peg-the-meter, selfish person.

I don't see any other options besides these two, do you?

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences.

We were early adopters with plug in in the past. Have waited for Tesla to work out the bugs on the MX and there are threads of folks indicating the latest v9 update isn't fully stable. The late Q3 deliveries were reported with spotty build quality. There are several threads on this forum (complete with pictures!) of delivery issues with the MX, stuff that never should have passed a simple visual inspection. Feels hasty.

The CR data indicates not just electronics issues, but leaks and body integrity -- that's BASIC stuff, not user training issues as theorized by some.

Yep, sorry son.

Planet's a mess, Florida under water, and it's 122F/51C in Phoenix today, but I'll be damned if I'd ever buy a car that someone had reported had a friggin' "body integrity" issue!

Just who the Hell do they think they are at Tesla--selling cars that might have a rattle!

Burn baby, burn!

Yep, sorry son.

Planet's a mess, Florida under water, and it's 122F/51C in Phoenix today, but I'll be damned if I'd ever buy a car that someone had reported had a friggin' "body integrity" issue!

Just who the Hell do they think they are at Tesla--selling cars that might have a rattle!

Burn baby, burn!

Read all the way through the thread before you flame on. We ended up buying an X. Then replaced it with a Raven X. And replaced our Volt with a Model 3 Performance.

Cheers.

John 123 seems to have made up his mind already. It's probably a waste of time to try and change his mind. Certainly he's entitled to his opinion, especially if he is writing a check for $120,000. He has to feel good about his purchase decision .
As I wrote elsewhere, tesla purchase experience is not very good. They don't return emails even before buying the car.
I will wait and see how service experience will be,, before I buy another tesla

Yes, of course.

He writes the check.

It's the poor people living near sea level, or near burning forests, or that will experience the dead oceans, that get to cash it.

What a nice bunch of externalities, but hey, why care about anyone else when it's all about him . . . .

Read all the way through the thread before you flame on. We ended up buying an X. Then replaced it with a Raven X. And replaced our Volt with a Model 3 Performance.

Cheers.

Yes, just noticed!

Thrilled, and now more wary of reviewing posts without checking the date first . . . congratulations and glad you took the risk, and that it's worked out so well.

Request: Tesla doesn't advertise. Please inform others still driving an ICE vehicle that even though they can't see their exhaust, it's most definitely there. It's not just us, but the great masses that need to have their worldview enhanced.

Example:

Honda Accord & Toyota Camry Buyers — What The Heck Are You Doing? | CleanTechnica

Thanks!

Let's try again.

Sure, if MX owners were be left stranded on the side of road, to be eaten by lions and tigers, you'd have a point.

The reality is that WE, as in "ALL OF US," have to lead if we're to have a usable planet.

Period.

Sure, the MX's reliability should be greater. But the way the stats game is played, even ONE problem that's common among a fleet will place you at or near the bottom of the rankings.

Wow, just wow.

Either you really don't have a even the slightest clue as to utterly massive risks involved with our planetary-scale experiment (on our only planet), or you're a remarkably, peg-the-meter, selfish person.

I’ll assume then, since you’re such a professed absolutist about needing to lead by example, that you don’t travel by air, or eat meat, or do any number of other things that are harmful to the planet at scale. Or are you only a climate champion/scold when it comes to cars?

Reactions: Petrocelli

Let's try again.

Period.

Wow, just wow.

Do you know how much waste Tesla is producing by poor quality. Just imagine how many Tesla Model 3 rear glass roofs are in land fills, and how many Model S drive units.

There are other cars nearly as green. And their total carbon footprint might be better for the planet. But I would bet, due to reliability a Prius might do less harm to the planet than a Model 3. Energy to make cars isn’t free, nor is electricity to run them. You have to look at the whole impact. Not just the consumption of the fuel to make it move.

Driving 120 mile trip right now in a Volt.

48806129383_73777d7329_h_d.jpg

Pretty impressive numbers.

It’s quieter, smoother, body panel alignment is flawless, paint is flawless, has a nice hatchback, CarPlay. No checklists for this car. It has native Pandora, Spotify and more, to many to list. Paid $31k. But no it won’t go 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and I could care less that it doesn’t. And I bet it does better in snow than a RWD Model 3.

Do you know how much waste Tesla is producing by poor quality. Just imagine how many Tesla Model 3 rear glass roofs are in land fills, and how many Model S drive units.

There are other cars nearly as green. And their total carbon footprint might be better for the planet. But I would bet, due to reliability a Prius might do less harm to the planet than a Model 3. Energy to make cars isn’t free, nor is electricity to run them. You have to look at the whole impact. Not just the consumption of the fuel to make it move.

Driving 120 mile trip right now in a Volt.

48806129383_73777d7329_h_d.jpg

Pretty impressive numbers.

It’s quieter, smoother, body panel alignment is flawless, paint is flawless, has a nice hatchback, CarPlay. No checklists for this car. It has native Pandora, Spotify and more, to many to list. Paid $31k. But no it won’t go 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and I could care less that it doesn’t. And I bet it does better in snow than a RWD Model 3.

Why's the lifetime MPG so low on your Volt?