Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just dropped off my month-old 100D for a surprisingly open-ended service appointment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty bummed.

I've had the car just over a month.

I've had a series of pretty minor issues until yesterday.

The most significant was that I would park the car and the auto-presenting door would pop open again immediately. It wasn't the end of the world - it didn't happen often and once I learned it was happening (unfortunately, after I came back to a parked car with an open driver's door) I grew more accustomed to walking away from the auto-locking car while watching the driver's door. I would also check the car via the app once I was at my destination. It was always locked if I watched it stay closed while walking away.

Then yesterday, I got into my car and drove a few miles. I noticed that my auto high-beams never turned off. They stayed on high despite oncoming traffic.

I got to my destination and I looked at the Nav and saw that it was still showing me at home. Confused, I put the car in park, and then drive again, hoping it would restart. It didn't. I saw the red exclamation point in the top line of the display, touched it and got the warning, "Nav System needs service. Map is not loaded."

I reset the MCU and the instrument panel (including the "hard" reset with the brake pedal) and there was no change.

I drove the car a bit more, and parked a few more miles down the road. During this drive I also observed (perhaps hadn't seen it before) that the TACC and EAP symbols never came on.

I called Tesla and set up an appointment for today.

I got to work today before my appointment, and sure enough the front door popped open right after I shut it. In fairness, it hasn't done that for a while.

After getting a couple hours of work done I headed for the Tesla service center.

I arrived there and they asked what I needed.

I told them I had an appointment. They were a little surprised. They said they had a geofence set up around the SC that should have communicated my arrival to them. But it obviously didn't.

The tech was super-nice, and said he had actually been working with an engineer on my issues and had reset something in the car this morning. He said the Nav/Lights/EAP/TACC were all tied to that issue (and in fact, post re-set all were working).

But there's clearly something up as my car didn't communicate to the SC I had arrived.

I told him I'd wait in the waiting area - thinking they were well into a solution already - and he said "Let's get you into a loaner."

I explained I was headed to Seattle this weekend - and could swing back by later today to swap cars back. He asked when I would be back from Seattle. I told him Tuesday - and he said he would let me know if he needed the car longer than that . . .

Overall - thus far - it's been a great service experience. I am just bummed I have to have it.

On the bright side - the loaner came with the black interior I originally ordered before switching to a cream inventory car. I am so happy I got the cream!

I told them I had an appointment. They were a little surprised. They said they had a geofence set up around the SC that should have communicated my arrival to them. But it obviously didn't.

The tech was super-nice, and said he had actually been working with an engineer on my issues and had reset something in the car this morning. He said the Nav/Lights/EAP/TACC were all tied to that issue (and in fact, post re-set all were working).

But there's clearly something up as my car didn't communicate to the SC I had arrived.

Your GPS wasn't working, so obviously your car didn't know it entered the geofenced area and that it needed to notify the SC.

Reactions: JHWJR
Don't assume the worst, enjoy putting miles on the loaner. I just picked up my X from SC this morning, we have had it for two weeks. I had the super tight charge port issue and some small clear coat bubbles on the hood that they buffed out. When I dropped it off they didn't give me an ETA on pickup, they had it 2 days/3 nights.

I also originally ordered black interior and ended up with cream after switching to an inventory build. The model S loaned had black textile and I'm extremely happy we ended up with the cream.

Keep this thread updated on the fix.

No call today from the SC.

And my car has been asleep since late Friday.

It’s not looking good for a Tuesday pick up given the Monday holiday.

I know it's hard not to, but try not to stress it. For my 2nd visit I was super excited to get my X back after having a very, very run down 75D loaner X and when I got there they had to replace the charge port door which took another day. :(

Reactions: pdx3181
Just got a call from the SC. The engineer "updated the firmware" for one of the internal computers (not the vehicle's firmware) and believes we are good to go.

Due to pick up tonight.

Will update with more details once I get written confirmation of the work done.

hmm, i guess i'm just a lucky one. i haven't had any major issues with my car. i took it to the SC one time for a few very minor things (pretty much not worth even taking it there) but they did give me a nice P100D loaner which i was excited to drive. i was actually kind of sad when i had to return it the next morning. i thought my 100D was fast until i drove in ludicrous for a day!

good luck. Tesla seems to do a great job eventually getting it right.

Picked up the car. All appears to function as it should.

A few interesting notes in the service history, underlined and bolded:

For the Nav - Concern: Customer: Navigation alert appears on instrument cluster whenever vehicle is on. Corrections: Navigation General Diagnosis Verified customer concern, updated maps. Verified navigation system now works as designed.

For High beams/TACC/EAP/Auto-Dim (I added the "etc." here, there is one entry for each of these items on my receipt) - Concern: Customer: Customer noted that automatic high beams, etc., do not work as intended Corrections: Automatic High Beam Headlights etc., General Diagnosis Verified customer concern, reset driver assistance module, verified system is operating as designed. Currently this issue is under investigation and will be fixed in a future firmware update.

I am fairly curious why this requires a firmware update to fix. What's different about my mid-2017 build?

• Helpful
Reactions: arcus
GPS in the S at least is in the rear deck. The antenna runs their by a design of minty python proportion, you need to remove the rear glass to install a new one. My external repair center did it no prob, Fremont SC shattered it when replacing the cut wire from the external repair vendor.

I wonder if any issues are related to antenna wire failure like mine was during a repair

Quick update on this - my driver's side door continued to open up on its own after closing it.

I took my Tesla back to the SC last Tuesday. Today marks 8 days it's been in the shop - over the door refusing to stay shut.

Over all, my car has been in the SC 13 days in its almost four months of life.

I am driving a P90D - so I can barely complain.

But still:

Weirdness abounds.