Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got 20" performance wheels installed on my Model 3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very excited that I just got my 20" performance wheels installed at the Tesla Service Center yesterday. The driving is much heavier than the 18" aeros, and now I can confidently whiz around corners at 50-60 mph. :)

Just got my 20" wheels installed!

I tried to share this on Reddit, but I'm not allowed to comment or post. I understand reddit mods need to filter out the shorters and trolls, but it's really lazy of them to muzzle users like myself who just wanted a new username. My old username was random letters and numbers, so even my dumb username "deezevoltz" is an upgrade.

I'm very excited that I just got my 20" performance wheels installed at the Tesla Service Center yesterday. The driving is much heavier than the 18" aeros, and now I can confidently whiz around corners at 50-60 mph. :)

I tried to share this on Reddit, but I'm not allowed to comment or post. I understand reddit mods need to filter out the shorters and trolls, but it's really lazy of them to muzzle users like myself who just wanted a new username. My old username was random letters and numbers, so even my dumb username "deezevoltz" is an upgrade.

@deezevoltz,

Love it! They look amazing. What do you mean by “heavier”? Due to the increased wheel weight or more “Solid” driving due to the performance rim/tire?

Ski

Last edited:

$4k?

@deezevoltz,

What do you mean by “heavier”?

Ski

When you engage the sport vs comfort driving modes, turning the wheel becomes a little tougher or "heavier". These wheels make turning even more heavy. Apparently people into performance prefer the heavier turn. You can always switch the driving feel to comfort, which makes these turn easier if desired. At the same time it's not hard to turn at all. Just a preference thing.

4.25K after tax.

• Informative
Reactions: classicjoy
When you engage the sport vs comfort driving modes, turning the wheel becomes a little tougher or "heavier". These wheels make turning even more heavy. Apparently people into performance prefer the heavier turn. You can always switch the driving feel to comfort, which makes these turn easier if desired. At the same time it's not hard to turn at all. Just a preference thing.

4.25K after tax.
Worth it compared to aftermarket wheels from EV wheels direct at 1.3k?

4.25K after tax.

that is insane..

Worth it compared to aftermarket wheels from EV wheels direct at 1.3k?

Well you get a suspension upgrade, a loaner car for the day, don't have to worry about your warranty, and Tesla updates your car graphic. They're also gorgeous. The rubber on them is worth 1K alone, and they come with their own pressure sensors -- don't need to repurpose 18" sensors. That said, the 19" sports are probably better value. I'll recoup some costs selling my 18" aeros with the pressure sensors included.

Any idea how much the wheels weigh? Are they cast or forged? I'd be interested in range comparisons between 20" and 18" with and without aero covers.

Any idea how much the wheels weigh? Are they cast or forged? I'd be interested in range comparisons between 20" and 18" with and without aero covers.

All of the nitty gritty specs like maximum car load with these on and recommend PSI for 140mph+ are in the latest owners manual. In terms of with/without aero covers, I can't stop flooring car at every stop light. So I can't really be of any help. I'm seeing like ~268ish wh/mi overall with about 200 miles total. As I use autopilot and get my highway numbers, that number is dropping.

I wonder if there is any way to get just the rear upper forelinks (Would prob have to be aftermarket because I’m sure Tesla won’t sell just the links) themselves. I was thinking the 19”/20” EV wheels direct route but you get no forelinks to handle the load/suspension issue with their 20’s. I wonder how that is over the long term.

Ski

All of the nitty gritty specs like maximum car load with these on and recommend PSI for 140mph+ are in the latest owners manual. In terms of with/without aero covers, I can't stop flooring car at every stop light. So I can't really be of any help. I'm seeing like ~268ish wh/mi overall with about 200 miles total. As I use autopilot and get my highway numbers, that number is dropping.

@deezevoltz,

I think that’s about what @Kenriko was getting as well but he’ll have to chime in here. He can give you some good gouge or check out his thread.

Ski

Cool. Keep us posted as you get a better sense of the efficiency vs the 18" wheels.

Reactions: MacGreiner
Nice looking wheels.
What do the rear links do? Just increase camber?
What is the load/suspension issue?

I think the rear links decrease camber, although I had to google that term. What I'm extrapolating is that negative camber is good for performance cars, so then these must decrease camber in some way to make it more negative. Thanks for introducing me to the term. Camber angle - Wikipedia.

For the load/suspension issue, most cars when you open the driver door have a GAWR rating (gross Axel weight rating), which tells you how much stuff you can hold in your car. The owners manual maintains the *same* GAWR on the rear axels with the (I suspect) heavier 20" wheels on the rear as the 19" wheels. I'm assuming this is due to the suspension changes on the rear.

The thing I find disappointing is that the 18s, 19s and 20s are all the same width, so there's very little in the way of performance improvement by upgrading, it's effectively all cosmetics (well, and hits to ride quality and damage likelihood). Yes there's a tiny amount of handling responsiveness improvement due to the smaller sidewall, but that's insignificant.