TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Just got a call for Powerwall...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by hingisfan, Oct 25, 2016.

1. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Company in Toronto doing the installs.
    Sounds like it's totally turn-key.
    He's emailing me a pkg to look at.
    Guessing it's too pricy to make sense, but we will see. I'd be using it for load sharing and battery backup. There was some savings for going with two, as they can share the same inverter.

2. Terapin

Terapin Member

I'm interested to hear the cost. We are on a well with a pump for water and are interested in power-outage applications.

3. hingisfan

I am as well... On a well... I haven't got the email yet, I hope he had my email address, as he never asked for it.

4. cwave1

cwave1 Member

Thanks for the update. I was contacted a while back by Tesla to take a survey prior to them being ready to start installations but I haven't heard anything for a very long time.

Please keep us posted with all of the details.

5. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

I would wait till after the announcement on the 28th. If the current rumors are correct Power wall 2.0 could be anounced. Although doesnt hurt to get a quote.

6. hingisfan

Got the email today. . .

The works including install roughly 15k for a single, and 20k for a double power wall.

7. Terapin

Terapin Member

Thanks for the update. Not out of line with a whole-house generator including installation and such, but a decent outlay!

8. cwave1

cwave1 Member

What happened to the $3500 pricing? I was aware that price didn't include installation but installation can't be $12K.

If it is anywhere close to these numbers I won't be getting one.

9. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Apparently the middle-man Tesla chose as an installer decided an over 100% markup was in order.
    Tesla Powerwall home battery in Canada is $15,000 and $20,000

Someone tweet Elon asking him how C$10K for a Powerwall is appropriate for a US$3K product?

• Like x 2
  10. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

Sounds like you guys are suffering from Canada tax syndrome. I thought it was bad here in Australia. A single powerwall and a 4kw panel package was sitting at $13-15k installed last time I checked.

11. hingisfan

Power wall price doesn't include inverter. Note the dual pkg is only 5k more, as two power walls can share one inverter. . . . Would be a no brainer to go dual.

• Informative x 1
  12. TooManyAirMiles

I am guessing it does not come with a transfer switch either, which is required and can be a significant expense depending on the size and the way it has to be wired in. This seems consistent with home back up generator installation prices to me, the hardware is about the same cost as the installation.

13. hingisfan

From my phone conversation and email it seemed like it was everything included. . . I can't seem to copy and paste the email into here though. . .
    I would use it for the power shifting to reduce peak usage, as well as the backup. Payback would likely be 20 years, but if you were looking at doing a good quality generator solution anyway, it seems like a good choice.

14. TooManyAirMiles

Yes, I am suggesting that the reason for the increase price relative to the price for just the power wall quoted at launch. I am not surprised at the quote you got. I would have to see it of course but it sounds competitive with a generator. Although with a generator you get allot more amps for your $. Then again…. it is a generator….

15. S'toon

Personally, if it was me, in my situation, I'd wait and see what the PW2 and solar roof pricing will be like.

16. S'toon

Too late to edit.

According to Tesla Powerwall
    Canadian pricing is:
    Depending on middle-man, could be cheaper than Powerwall 1.

17. hingisfan

Really nice improvements in pw2

18. Kbra

Kbra Member

19. S'toon

#19 S'toon, Oct 29, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    In the US. This is the Canadian subforum. The price I cited above is the Canadian price.

20. wayner

wayner Active Member

I wonder how well the new solar roof will work in Canada? It makes a lot of sense to have PV roofing products, hopefully they can come up with a version that slightly heats the tiles to melt snow.

The second question is how it works in the regulatory regime? In Ontario the microFIT program was very generous in terms of the FIT that you received but that has changed somewhat and under that program you couldn't battery storage, nor could you have more than 10kW of rated capacity.

I installed solar panels last summer for ab out $31k and I received $5k in revenue over the first 12 months. But the FIT has gone down from $0.38 to $0.29 and they put new applications on hold.

• Like x 1