Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a call for Powerwall...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Company in Toronto doing the installs.
Sounds like it's totally turn-key.
He's emailing me a pkg to look at.
Guessing it's too pricy to make sense, but we will see. I'd be using it for load sharing and battery backup. There was some savings for going with two, as they can share the same inverter.

Power wall price doesn't include inverter. Note the dual pkg is only 5k more, as two power walls can share one inverter. . . . Would be a no brainer to go dual.
I am guessing it does not come with a transfer switch either, which is required and can be a significant expense depending on the size and the way it has to be wired in. This seems consistent with home back up generator installation prices to me, the hardware is about the same cost as the installation.

From my phone conversation and email it seemed like it was everything included. . . I can't seem to copy and paste the email into here though. . .
I would use it for the power shifting to reduce peak usage, as well as the backup. Payback would likely be 20 years, but if you were looking at doing a good quality generator solution anyway, it seems like a good choice.

From my phone conversation and email it seemed like it was everything included. . . I can't seem to copy and paste the email into here though. . .
I would use it for the power shifting to reduce peak usage, as well as the backup. Payback would likely be 20 years, but if you were looking at doing a good quality generator solution anyway, it seems like a good choice.
Yes, I am suggesting that the reason for the increase price relative to the price for just the power wall quoted at launch. I am not surprised at the quote you got. I would have to see it of course but it sounds competitive with a generator. Although with a generator you get allot more amps for your $. Then again…. it is a generator….

Personally, if it was me, in my situation, I'd wait and see what the PW2 and solar roof pricing will be like.
Too late to edit.

According to Tesla Powerwall
Canadian pricing is:
One 14 kWh Powerwall battery $7,800

Installation and supporting hardware starts at $1,350

Total estimate $9,150

Requires $650 deposit for each Powerwall

Total cost excludes sales tax, permitting and fees.

Installations begin January 2017.
Depending on middle-man, could be cheaper than Powerwall 1.

I wonder how well the new solar roof will work in Canada? It makes a lot of sense to have PV roofing products, hopefully they can come up with a version that slightly heats the tiles to melt snow.

The second question is how it works in the regulatory regime? In Ontario the microFIT program was very generous in terms of the FIT that you received but that has changed somewhat and under that program you couldn't battery storage, nor could you have more than 10kW of rated capacity.

I installed solar panels last summer for ab out $31k and I received $5k in revenue over the first 12 months. But the FIT has gone down from $0.38 to $0.29 and they put new applications on hold.

Reactions: Falkirk