TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Just got a software update this week....

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Hitman007, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

#1 Hitman007, Aug 20, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2016
    Just got an update and whole car is dead. Does not recognize key FOB. Its only been about 25 minutes since I chose "start update now"... How long do they usually take?

2. systemcrashed

systemcrashed Please Reboot

About an hour.

3. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

It's best to leave the car alone while updating. Don't sit in it. Click update, close the door, and come back in 90 minutes. You can also use the app to see if it connects. If it does, the update is likely done.

While unlikely, there have been cases in the past where an update did not install correctly because the owner was sitting in the car which interfered with the process.

• Informative x 1
  4. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

Thanks. Will wait 90 minutes.

5. andrewket

Most updates take much less time than 90 minutes, but the larger ones can take that long. There are a lot of devices on the bus within the car, and the updates are applied sequentially.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Didn't the screen tell you how long it will take? Usually it says more than an hour-- even when it doesn't take that long. It's really best to let the car install the update overnight. I think it defaults to 2 or 3 AM unless you've changed it. That way you aren't tempted to "check on it" which might screw up the installation, or cause you to panic when the car doesn't respond, and you'll be good to go in the morning.

It's a computer-- you wouldn't expect your Mac or PC to respond to anything while it's installing an operating system update.

7. Hitman007

Hitman007 Member

UPDATE: Everything back to normal. The update took about 40 minutes. I left the car alone as you guys instructed and after about 40 minutes I go a pop up on my iPhone from the Tesla app that said update complete. Went out to the car and everything appears back to normal.

• Like x 2
  8. andrewket

Oh right, I forgot it sends a notification now when complete. Even better.