Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got in a heated discussion with New York Gov Offical about chargeing net work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm doing my 2nd big road trip from Columbus Ohio to Schenectady New York for Army training. I'm in Syracuse NY at one of the worst superchargers, nothing around except a hotel.

Come out of hotel to find a guy taking pictures of my MS and 3 M3 on a 8 bay supercharger. I ask him if he has a question? And he starts telling me about the crap I heard on Tesla Time News, about Tesla needing to put bays at there chargers for othere cars not just Tesla, and how the state is going to provide cheaper electricity and money towards building chargers that all cars can use.

I told him this sounds to me like your punishing Tesla for spending all this capital to build a net work for there cars, and now your financially punishing Tesla if they don't allow other car brands to use there chargers

I'm sorry but I was told in the beginning Elion told all he would shair his patients and chargers with any company that would help expand the network.

Then he tells me that they want to charger everyone a flat rate of $5 every time they charge as they are not paying for the roads

While I just read last week in Ohio where I'm from I got to pay a $200 ev tax every year to help pay for roads

My wife said I should not be upset but I feel like it's an unfair money grab I don't mind paying for the roads but to punish Tesla is wrong or is it just me

So I'm doing my 2nd big road trip from Columbus Ohio to Schenectady New York for Army training. I'm in Syracuse NY at one of the worst superchargers, nothing around except a hotel.

Come out of hotel to find a guy taking pictures of my MS and 3 M3 on a 8 bay supercharger. I ask him if he has a question? And he starts telling me about the crap I heard on Tesla Time News, about Tesla needing to put bays at there chargers for othere cars not just Tesla, and how the state is going to provide cheaper electricity and money towards building chargers that all cars can use.

I told him this sounds to me like your punishing Tesla for spending all this capital to build a net work for there cars, and now your financially punishing Tesla if they don't allow other car brands to use there chargers

I'm sorry but I was told in the beginning Elion told all he would shair his patients and chargers with any company that would help expand the network.

Then he tells me that they want to charger everyone a flat rate of $5 every time they charge as they are not paying for the roads

While I just read last week in Ohio where I'm from I got to pay a $200 ev tax every year to help pay for roads

My wife said I should not be upset but I feel like it's an unfair money grab I don't mind paying for the roads but to punish Tesla is wrong or is it just me
That's very interesting about the fees. After all you are in New York where everything in taxed. ( Perhaps the only place worse than California.) I do understand the need for road maintenance fees, but charging at the charging stations isn't the way to do it. Here in CA we pay mega $$ to register the cars, and that is supposed to go to transportation, but much gets shuttled off elsewhere and our roads are terrible.

As for the use of the chargers, in my city, the new chargers allow 60 minute ice parking in the charger spaces, so that is going to be really confusing for people looking for chargers available on their screens then getting there and finding most of them iced.

Good luck with your training and thank you for your service.

He's mostly right, but from an uniformed position.

Yes, Elon went out on the wrong limb with the Superchargers. He just gave in, in Europe, but not yet in the US. It's really crappy that we have to have 2/3 different types of charging stations out there. I did believe that Elon indicated that he opened the patents, but not the chargers. The chargers are looking for Teslas to know where to bill to. No other mechanism is available.

Georgia has had the EV road use tax for few years now, it is too much, but the politicians have to make their grab.

If NY was to add a $5 charge when charging, they would miss out on a lot of taxes, as most Teslas don't charge at Superchargers, they charge at home. Flat rate is by far the best answer.

He's mostly right, but from an uniformed position.

Yes, Elon went out on the wrong limb with the Superchargers. He just gave in, in Europe, but not yet in the US. It's really crappy that we have to have 2/3 different types of charging stations out there. I did believe that Elon indicated that he opened the patents, but not the chargers. The chargers are looking for Teslas to know where to bill to. No other mechanism is available.

Georgia has had the EV road use tax for few years now, it is too much, but the politicians have to make their grab.

If NY was to add a $5 charge when charging, they would miss out on a lot of taxes, as most Teslas don't charge at Superchargers, they charge at home. Flat rate is by far the best answer.
Are you sure Elon "gave in" in Europe? As I understand it, the Model 3's going to Europe are getting CCS ports, and the super chargers are being outfitted with additional CCS cables. But this is more so the cars only need 1 type of charge port for SuperCharger and other networks. I don't believe a different brand car with a CCS port can charge at a supercharger.

Yes the Syracuse supercharger is pretty lame in what's around. Technically there is a restaurant and some nice bathrooms in the hotel, but the restaurant hours are poor. Or you can walk across the street to get to a Taco Bell and KFC. I try to avoid that one if I can help it.

• Funny
Reactions: Mikes68charger
...chargers that all cars can use...

That's a high bar to meet because there are 4 in the USA:

J1772
CHAdeMod (such as Nissan Leaf)
CCS (such as BMW)
Tesla

There are about 1,117,884 plug-ins including hybrids and EV-only

Of those, there are about 641,238 EV-only.

Of those, there are about 532,062 Tesla S+X+3 only.

That means the most popular pure EVs are Tesla.

To meet NY's practice, they should all convert others to Tesla's plug.

And he starts telling me about the crap I heard on Tesla Time News, about Tesla needing to put bays at there chargers for othere cars not just Tesla
Tesla spent its money to build Superchargers. There is no reason to force them to share with anybody. If NYS wants to give Tesla money to build chargers THEN they should have a say in what is built.

There are a couple of points that need to be made here:

1) NYS charges a lot of money for inspections relative to what Ev's need inspected. Brakes, lights, wipers. That takes 10 minutes. No emission tests. The price of that inspection should be adjusted downward if everything is "fair"

2)Ev's create high paying jobs locally. Electricians make a pretty penny in NYS. Gasoline produces high paying jobs far away and low paying jobs locally (gas station attendants). NYS makes up for the road taxes lets say $200 a year vs state income taxes on $100k (not including the money spent on consumer goods compared to a $30k gas station attendant)

3) Tesla developed high speed chargers years before anyone else (that CCS is still trying catch up to, one 350kw charger while the rest barely get to 100kw)

4)Tesla developed and built the supercharger network themselves.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Don't we(NYers) already pay a "tax" for road maintenance etc.. through yearly inspection and registration fees?
Yes, but no matter how much money politicians steal from the public they ALWAYS want more.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. They want more money so they FIND a way to get it. So if roads are bad they’ll say they need to raise gasoline tax/gallon and/or registration fees. Maybe they estimate that state-wide it’ll bring in an additional $500 million per year. People will bitch, but the tax is hidden inside something they must buy if they drive an ICE and gas prices vary anyway so some people won’t even notice. The politicians might spend $300 million of the $500 million on roads for the first two years. People see roads getting repairs and with time forget the additional tax they’re being charged or justify it as helping roads.

Then voters are bitching less about roads and politicians hear people bitching about something different and divert more of that $500 million. Now maybe only $50 million is going to roads and $450 million is going for poverty or F35s, or some other pet project. Then road maintenance is underfunded, roads get bad again and people/voters bitch, and politicians raise taxes again.
It’s a cycle where politicians continue to steal ever increasing amounts of money from the public, divert it either immediately or later, then neglect the core justifications for government until people bitch and then they raise taxes again.

* I say taxes are stolen because I’m not giving them money voluntarily as I do with charities I give money too. They TELL me how much money I must give them and if I don’t comply they sanction me with the power of the state. That’s compulsory separation of my money from myself which I call THEFT

Last edited: