Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got in line! Multi state purchase questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have sort of a complicated situation.

I live in California and work there.
My wife lives in Texas. We own a home there which I visit periodically.

I just got in line to get a model 3 for my wife. She would like to take factory delivery and drive it home to Texas as an adventure.

Seeing as I made the reservation, and I live in CA, but she lives in TX where the car will be registered...whose state tax am I subject to?

Where you title and register it. I bought mine in Atlanta, paid the taxes at local DMV. They gave me paper plates. Not sure the factory can give you paper plates. But you will have to have insurance cards before they give you car. If they didn't give plates. Id just drive home without them. Yea,yea, against the law. Give a ticket, i have billof sale, insurance. I was told i could not buy in Ca, they have big export tax.

Hi all,

I have sort of a complicated situation.

I live in California and work there.
My wife lives in Texas. We own a home there which I visit periodically.

I just got in line to get a model 3 for my wife. She would like to take factory delivery and drive it home to Texas as an adventure.

Seeing as I made the reservation, and I live in CA, but she lives in TX where the car will be registered...whose state tax am I subject to?

We have a trip planned to California for my kid's college campus tour in June around the time my car was scheduled to be delivered to Texas. We thought it would be cool to instead take delivery in California and drive it back. This is the response I got from my ISA:

If you pick up your Model 3 in Fremont, we will be unable to accommodate a same day factory tour, as our schedule has a slight backlog with our new Model 3 owners.

I would not advise to pick up the Fremont, as this will most likely cause you to pay sales tax to both states. However, I can set it up for a Fremont delivery if you are comfortable with this. Sales tax is non-reciprocal between the two states.​

Hope that helps,
CJ

Yes, you can pick up in CA but you'll pay CA sales tax, even if you flee the state immediately. Texas will then credit you the CA sales tax when you register it in TX, but only up to 100% of the TX tax, which is lower than CA tax. Therefore, you're still out the difference. Depending upon where you are in CA it may be a percentage point or two, I'm not sure.