Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got rear Ended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got rear ended, what’s the damage and what to look for beside fixed at Tesla. Clown distracted as I was stopped in traffics , probably hit me at 50 mph plus impact. I’m a little sore from impact. The police had my car towed away on a flat bed. Can you guys advise the next steps.. I don’t think I I have major impact beside rear lower bumper, trunk and front bumper. Pics are enclosed for reference how to pull the video from sentry recording as well I need to submit to my insurance company. I’m in NJ. Fully insured.

Attachments

• IMG_8291.jpeg
    IMG_8291.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_8280.jpeg
    IMG_8280.jpeg
    987.9 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_8284.jpeg
    IMG_8284.jpeg
    756.6 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_8290.jpeg
    IMG_8290.jpeg
    395.5 KB · Views: 450
Isn't that what I said in post #20?

At-fault insured's company will pay for medical expenses, and in my experience, is always quite generous. If there's a need (which, IMO, is very rare) for additional "pain and suffering" issues to be covered, a lawyer would be needed.
You are not going after insured for pain and suffering. You are dealing with the other party's insurance company not an individual. Get a lawyer. Let the lawyer handle everyrhing there's no need for the OP to go thru the hassle.

Upvote 0
Isn't that what I said in post #20?

At-fault insured's company will pay for medical expenses, and in my experience, is always quite generous. If there's a need (which, IMO, is very rare) for additional "pain and suffering" issues to be covered, a lawyer would be needed.
No you said below,
unless you're of the mind to go after the insured for "pain and suffering." ;)

OP isn't going after insured he's going after the other party's insurance company. Insured isn't the target here.

IMO there's no such thing as additional pain and suffering. Insurance will always try to underpay and in your word 'pain and suffering' is victims way of getting what's owed to them.

I'd recommend getting an injury lawyer for any car accident to anyone.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Upvote 0
You correctly quoted what I said, "At-fault insured's company" will pay for medical costs, as well as, usually, a generous amount up front for "pain and suffering." No need for a lawyer.

Quantifying "what's owed to them" is the issue. "Pain and suffering" is always what is in excess of actual medical expenses.

We clearly disagree about recommending an injury lawyer "for any car accident." I consider that advice to be excessive, and ultimately, EVERYONE (all of us!) ultimately pay for the frequently egregious settlements, with most of any settlement money going to the lawyer, NOT the client.

The OP's accident is a relatively minor rear-ending, the kind that occurs countless times every single day. If everyone that is in "any car accident" gets an injury lawyer, costs for all of us will continue to rise.

Upvote 0
OP, sorry to hear about this issue. A couple of observations:

a) thanks for introducing me to the word "Hooptie." That is awesome! 😁

b) I recently had a similar rear-end experience. I went through my insurance company - it was super easy and they handled the subrogation. They had a binary shift from "keep the costs as low as possilbe" to "whaterver you need" once the at-fault driver's insurance company agreed to subrogation. 😂

c) As was also pointed out, the at-fault company will probably offer to pay you for pain and suffering, in hopes that you won't sue.

Upvote 0
Just received a phone call from my insurance company, tell ‘em my first point of medical coverage is my health insurance, called heath insurance company and they said the at full person insurance company is liable for my medical needs. With this fiasco, I’ve looked into a personal injury lawyer. I went to urgent care that evening and gave me pain meds nothing broken. Still feeling sore , I went to my primary doctor and told them where it hurts and they always feel you up to pin point the pain. Also prescribed 2 more meds. Picked up the police report and basically said, the person who hit me I stopped short to the police officer. I’ve sent the pictures to my insurance company and my lawyer. I’ve obtained the video and was glad it was located in a seperate folder. The video will be given to my lawyer if the insurance companies decide to low ball my claim and payout.

Reactions: jsanford
Upvote 0
Just received a phone call from my insurance company, tell ‘em my first point of medical coverage is my health insurance, called heath insurance company and they said the at full person insurance company is liable for my medical needs. With this fiasco, I’ve looked into a personal injury lawyer. I went to urgent care that evening and gave me pain meds nothing broken. Still feeling sore , I went to my primary doctor and told them where it hurts and they always feel you up to pin point the pain. Also prescribed 2 more meds. Picked up the police report and basically said, the person who hit me I stopped short to the police officer. I’ve sent the pictures to my insurance company and my lawyer. I’ve obtained the video and was glad it was located in a seperate folder. The video will be given to my lawyer if the insurance companies decide to low ball my claim and payout.
How much are you paying your lawyer?

Upvote 0
Hey neighbor, I am glad you are safe, NJ is a no-fault state and I would highly recommend using a personal injury lawyer. I think the police officer should have given a court appearance ticket as NJ requires them in case of injuries. Since you have comprehensive coverage, I would let your insurance company deal with the claims as this can be a long winded process.

In terms of getting your car fixed there are a good number of body shops in Central NJ that are Tesla certified, just search at this site Collision Support | Tesla . Based on your location I have personally used both Ultimate Collision and Branning's and they do a good job, you have to be patient as it will take a long time to get it fixed, especially if they declare it as totaled.

Upvote 0
Hey neighbor, I am glad you are safe, NJ is a no-fault state and I would highly recommend using a personal injury lawyer. I think the police officer should have given a court appearance ticket as NJ requires them in case of injuries. Since you have comprehensive coverage, I would let your insurance company deal with the claims as this can be a long winded process.

In terms of getting your car fixed there are a good number of body shops in Central NJ that are Tesla certified, just search at this site Collision Support | Tesla . Based on your location I have personally used both Ultimate Collision and Branning's and they do a good job, you have to be patient as it will take a long time to get it fixed, especially if they declare it as totaled.
The driver who rear ended me received a summons, but I don’t know the court date. I’m seeing the PI lawyer to view my options. The damage does not look bad, but I won’t know till the car is at brannings and branding is now doing tesla in East Brunswick locations only so my car will be sent to ultimate collision today hopefully. The sheer impact took off the rear bumper and the driver’s radiator liquid splashed all over my rear panel as show in the pictures. I don’t know what is below the trunk area. Being a late 22, my car had the sensors in front and rear.. those will have to replaced also.

Upvote 0
The driver who rear ended me received a summons, but I don’t know the court date. I’m seeing the PI lawyer to view my options. The damage does not look bad, but I won’t know till the car is at brannings and branding is now doing tesla in East Brunswick locations only so my car will be sent to ultimate collision today hopefully. The sheer impact took off the rear bumper and the driver’s radiator liquid splashed all over my rear panel as show in the pictures. I don’t know what is below the trunk area. Being a late 22, my car had the sensors in front and rear.. those will have to replaced also.
Oh ok, Brannings does Tesla's in Princeton too. I have used Ultimate Collision for a number of my cars in the past 20 years. Make sure to attend the court session as the judge will ask about injuries and your lawyer can represent you then. Good luck with everything.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear that. Glad you are ok. Branning touched up the nick on my lift gate that hit the open garage door two days after delivery at no charge. You can obtain a copy of the police accident report. I would suggest that you do so and read it closely.

Upvote 0
These kinds of accidents are cut and dry. Don't really need video for it. I think if you go with your own insurance. There is a rental limit on the policy even if the other side is at fault. Tesla takes unreasonably long to repair. Especially when your car is not drivable. You should confirm with your insurance on rental duration. If it is me, I will go with the other insurance if it is a big name and pick a reputable tesla certified body shop from their network for repair.

Not always. We were struck by an empty city bus while parallel parking. They are ”self-insured” meaning no coverage.

Upvote 0
First off glad your ok.. i got hit around 45 mph and i was prob going less then ten rolling up to the red light.. find a tesla approved repair shop.. every one told me it can be fixed.. well the shop i had it towed to pulled it apart and then inforemend me that the frame was cracked in several spots. yes it can be fixed but they wouldn't recommend it plus getting parts would take forever.. find a good repair shop.. tesla cert. drive there check out the lot

Upvote 0
Just got rear ended, what’s the damage and what to look for beside fixed at Tesla. Clown distracted as I was stopped in traffics , probably hit me at 50 mph plus impact. I’m a little sore from impact. The police had my car towed away on a flat bed. Can you guys advise the next steps.. I don’t think I I have major impact beside rear lower bumper, trunk and front bumper. Pics are enclosed for reference how to pull the video from sentry recording as well I need to submit to my insurance company. I’m in NJ. Fully insured.
I know its been a few months but if you haven't go see a doctor and if there is any possible physical or nerve damage then get that documented so you can recover future medical costs or pain/suffering.

Upvote 0