Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just notified of a new update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.36, finished quickly. Just an update to the map to display the status of superchargers.

Could you be more specific concerning "status"?

Have been able to see red bars associated with each SC site for some time now.

There is a feature request extant to provide more granular per-pedestal health information. For example, do you see orange and yellow bars or just red still?

*deploys the teflon bumbershoot*

Could you be more specific concerning "status"?

Have been able to see red bars associated with each SC site for some time now.

There is a feature request extant to provide more granular per-pedestal health information. For example, do you see orange and yellow bars or just red still?

*deploys the teflon bumbershoot*

Don't have it yet myself, but heard it will display the charge rate of the supercharger in question. Not sure if that is "rated max" or actual average rate in (roughly) real time. Hoping for the later. This is more important as Tesla introduces its new Urban Superchargers that max out at 75kW. Apparently it will also factor the charge speed when the Nav routes you. It may, for example, have you skip an upcoming Urban Supercharger and instead go to a slightly farther away Supercharger that may feature, say, 135kW power. Though I myself have only seen 100kW+ charging for any sustained time (regardless of pairing, overall cars, temp, etc) ONCE.

There is a feature request extant to provide more granular per-pedestal health information.

A little off topic, apologies in advance...

More granular for instance:

It may be the 2nd or 3rd pedestal at the Plantation Supercharger in South Florida that is severely lacking health-wise, maybe. Would have been nice to know that prior to parking. Something tells me that Telsa isn't going to be so detailed on the map.​

This evening, I started at 10% and the estimate indicated 120 minutes. I checked in about a half hour later using the mobile app and it was charging at 89 MPH with 130 minutes left (range was just over 100 miles at that point). I went back to my car and found the guy charging immediately to my left (closer to the main power station) was near 180 MPH (he was relaxing with his window down). I was now at 88 MPH, so I moved my car one spot over to my right and the charge went to 200+.​

After returning to the nearby Chili's, the guy next to me saw me checking my app - he was also charging. I explained what I just did and he said he notified Tesla about the poor performance of pedistal #2B once before. Not sure that was the exact one I was using, however there is certainly nothing super about 88 MPH, unless of course you're in a DeLorean. :)

Just about 3 hours later, I was done charging. Yup 3 hours. Ugh. I went from 26 miles to 237 (the last few miles took a very long time). I was recently upgraded temporarily to a 75. Charging to 100% with my software locked 60 goes much faster as it nears capacity.​

Just wondering how much more detail Tesla can provide on the map - maybe an estimate as to when a pedestal should be available or if it is considered "unhealthy"?

Before I moved my car:

Screenshot_20170914-190739.png

After I moved my car (empty space on both sides on me):

Screenshot_20170914-191757.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Don't have it yet myself, but heard it will display the charge rate of the supercharger in question. Not sure if that is "rated max" or actual average rate in (roughly) real time. Hoping for the later. This is more important as Tesla introduces its new Urban Superchargers that max out at 75kW. Apparently it will also factor the charge speed when the Nav routes you. It may, for example, have you skip an upcoming Urban Supercharger and instead go to a slightly farther away Supercharger that may feature, say, 135kW power. Though I myself have only seen 100kW+ charging for any sustained time (regardless of pairing, overall cars, temp, etc) ONCE.

Sure enough, and not nearly granular enough to be optimally useful:

Tesla’s latest software update brings more Supercharger information

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
A/B stations at superchargers share the same power and the A station get's priority. It's bad supercharger etiquette to park next to another Tesla at a supercharger on the same numbered stations (i.e. 2A/2B).

From the Tesla Supercharging Support Page:

How can I maximize power and reduce charge time at a Supercharger?
Each charge post is labeled with a number and letter, either A or B (e.g. 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B). When possible, select a charge post with a unique number that is not currently connected to a vehicle. When a unique number isn’t available, the Supercharger cabinet has technology to share available power between charge posts A and B. To maximize power, park at a Supercharger shared with a car that is nearly done charging. For Superchargers in urban areas, there is no need to consider these suggestions, as those sites do not share available power; each car has dedicated power available.

A little off topic, apologies in advance...

After returning to the nearby Chili's, the guy next to me saw me checking my app - he was also charging. I explained what I just did and he said he notified Tesla about the poor performance of pedistal #2B once before. Not sure that was the exact one I was using, however there is certainly nothing super about 88 MPH, unless of course you're in a DeLorean. :)

To maximize power, park at a Supercharger shared with a car that is nearly done charging.

Right, I'll just pick the spot next to the car that is nearly done charging. Because how exactly would you know that every time?

I discovered early on that it is best to avoid sharing a charge post. I have seen charge speed drop when someone pulls along side me before. However dropping to such a ridiculously slow charge of 80+ MPH mid-charge at a Supercharger was a surprise.