Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered a Model 3. Production Time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've been looking to get a Tesla for the past year and I finally pulled the trigger on a Model 3 last week. I am excited to take delivery of the car but I have a question. When I ordered the car it said it will be a 7-9 weeks production time. Are these times accurate? I saw some videos of people ordering the cars and it being ready in a week or two. Anyone know if the production time provided by Tesla is accurate?

Hello,

I've been looking to get a Tesla for the past year and I finally pulled the trigger on a Model 3 last week. I am excited to take delivery of the car but I have a question. When I ordered the car it said it will be a 7-9 weeks production time. Are these times accurate? I saw some videos of people ordering the cars and it being ready in a week or two. Anyone know if the production time provided by Tesla is accurate?
The people who get there cars very quickly were matched up with available inventory. Based on all I've seen I think that estimate will probably be accurate. Congrats on the purchase and I hope the wait goes quickly. ;)

The people who get there cars very quickly were matched up with available inventory. Based on all I've seen I think that estimate will probably be accurate. Congrats on the purchase and I hope the wait goes quickly. ;)

Understood. Some owners placed an order with a production time of 4-5 weeks but got it within a week so there might be chance I can get it earlier than listed, correct?

Things in the past don't predict the future.
Right now it seems as if a lot of production is headed out of the US. That doesn't mean all.

In short, it could be as quick as a few days or longer than the estimate. Have all of the paperwork, financing and insurance ready to complete. Once you get the call, it could be as short as 2-3 days when your car is ready.

Don't check the website daily, maybe just weekly. Don't worry about any other things, such as hidden VINs, just wait for the text or phone call from your delivery advisor.

Find something else to do.

• Love
Reactions: house9 and dmurphy
Understood. Some owners placed an order with a production time of 4-5 weeks but got it within a week so there might be chance I can get it earlier than listed, correct?
Possible, but if those people got theirs back in Q4 it's less likely now as inventories were drastically depleted and early Jan built cars are supposedly being shipped for Europe.

Hello,

If you want yours faster then the est time contact a sales rep. They'll look for cars for you and you'll get it faster then the est time. I got mine after a week when my est was like 8 weeks thanks to my awesome sales rep.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
One nice thing is that you'll get a car "fresh from the factory" (for better and worse). When I got mine, there was quite the inventory backlog. My car has a birthday of 12/31/2018, and I took delivery on 3/01/19. It sat in an outdoor lot for the better part of 2 months.

My father purchased one back in September, and he took delivery six days (or less) after the car rolled off the factory line! Door jam sticker said 9/2019 build, and delivery was on 9/6.

One nice thing is that you'll get a car "fresh from the factory" (for better and worse). When I got mine, there was quite the inventory backlog. My car has a birthday of 12/31/2018, and I took delivery on 3/01/19. It sat in an outdoor lot for the better part of 2 months.

My father purchased one back in September, and he took delivery six days (or less) after the car rolled off the factory line! Door jam sticker said 9/2019 build, and delivery was on 9/6.

For whatever that’s worth.

Mine was made about two weeks before delivery, and I never noticed any difference between that and the other new cars I bought that sat on the lot for a few months. :rolleyes:

At least you're not trying to beat a federal tax rebate deadline and hoping Tesla meets the expectations that were set for you so you get that rebate. Wow was that stressful! I got the rebate, but you don't want to have to deal with Tesla when you're trying to make a deadline!

Just like they said above, just wait it out calmly, but if you want, call the reps to see what they have in stock. But be warned, if you didn't order the absolutely top of the line, you may be overly tempted to upgrade to what they have in inventory and spend more than you expected (like I did).

Hello,

So many variables when guessing, depends on what package, color and where you live. I ordered the Performance M3 when it jumped to estimated 8-11 weeks, that was on Jan 12th -Utah. No VIN, no sign of the car yet. I'm planning on March as the estimated says.

I am going to go against what some above said. You don't tell a kid to pretend Christmas isn't coming because he is counting the days of the countdown calendar on the wall. If you are like many of us "adults" Tesla time brings out the kid in us. I say go crazy, read the posts on hidden VINS, follow the spread sheet on delivered cars. Read up on all the posts of fresh deliveries and their timelines.

Have a ball, it's an exciting time. Congratulations!

Like others have said, if you really want it sooner, you can call the rep to find out what inventory is available. When I purchased my Performance Stealth, they emailed me the list of inventory ones available and I was in my car in 2 days (only because I couldn't come in the next day). Pretty amazing.

Reactions: Fresnel
I spoke with my Sales Rep at Tesla and they told me no available inventory at all. The car will be ready in March and not sooner because Tesla is doing deliveries based on Quarter systems. (March, June, September, December)