Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered model S need exterior help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just ordered a new Model S and I am in need of help of future cosmetic changes. Please help me out if you have the time.

Wheels: Since the car will have the smart air suspension included, what will I need to get to have the wheels sit flush? I will be upgrading to aftermarket 20" or 21". I am just confused on whether I will need to get springs/coilovers to lower the car if the air suspension isn't low enough.

I am currently driving a bmw 6 series, and noticed that the wheel pattern is the same. Have you ever heard of people buying rims from a bmw and installing them on a tesla model s?

Chrome delete: When people are getting this done, do the people working on it take off the parts that need to be wrapped or do they wrap the selected items when its already installed on the car?

Reactions: UnpluggedP
You don't need to do anything special about the wheels as long as you stay at 21 or below. Just get the pattern and offset to match. Wheels are certainly interchangeable.

Chrome delete should be done just like a normal paint job, preparation will be 80% of the actual work. No need to remove any parts.

Let's say perhaps the air suspension didn't sit low enough for my liking, then what are my options to lower it even more?

You would need to get some hardware to lower it more.

Unplugged Performance has these
Sports Air Suspension Lowering Kit for Tesla Model S - Unplugged Performance

eBay has these
2013-2017 TESLA MODEL S ADJUSTABLE LOWERING LINKS SUSPENSION KIT | eBay

Not sure on the bore size for the BMW wheels and Tesla wheels. The bolt pattern may match but the bore size may be different. If the bore size is different, you may want to get some hubcentric rings for aftermarket wheels, unless you are going full custom build on the wheels.

You can't really put BMW wheels on tesla because the center bore and bolt patterns are different. As far as suspension goes, if you going 20, 21 it gets the job done and lowers the car to have that great looking wheel gap without scrapping easily. ( will definitely seem lower on 20s)

Chrome delete is easy for any experienced wrap shop.

I recently install lowering links on my air suspension, and the car looks great. I plan to post some pictures soon once I can clean the car since it has been rainy/dirty around here lately. I have the 21" turbines, and they don't sit quite flush. If you want that, you'll have to go aftermarket and get them in an offset that pushes the wheel face out a tad. Not too much, or you risk fender rubbing.

Vossen just released some new wheels and put them on a Model S. They sit pretty flush: TESLA MODEL S - HYBRID FORGED SERIES: HF-1 - Vossen Wheels

You can't really put BMW wheels on tesla because the center bore and bolt patterns are different. As far as suspension goes, if you going 20, 21 it gets the job done and lowers the car to have that great looking wheel gap without scrapping easily. ( will definitely seem lower on 20s)

Chrome delete is easy for any experienced wrap shop.

Actually, the bolt pattern isn't an issue, but the center/hub bore size would be the issue...that's where hubcentric rings would help. They both have 5x120. Offset, of course, will probably be different.

So I just ordered a new Model S and I am in need of help of future cosmetic changes. Please help me out if you have the time.

Wheels: Since the car will have the smart air suspension included, what will I need to get to have the wheels sit flush? I will be upgrading to aftermarket 20" or 21". I am just confused on whether I will need to get springs/coilovers to lower the car if the air suspension isn't low enough.

I am currently driving a bmw 6 series, and noticed that the wheel pattern is the same. Have you ever heard of people buying rims from a bmw and installing them on a tesla model s?

Chrome delete: When people are getting this done, do the people working on it take off the parts that need to be wrapped or do they wrap the selected items when its already installed on the car?

Model S with our Lowering Kit installed

Unplugged-Performance-Sports-Dynamic-Suspension-Lowering-Kit-for-Tesla-M... (003).jpg

Reactions: SnakeDoctorTD
Front 21x9 +23 (33.4lbs)
Rear 21x10.5 +28 (34.9lbs)
Bolt pattern: 5x120
Hub Bore 72.6 (these wheels have PFS rings which can be changed to any size hub bore

Would anyone know if these sized wheels would fit?
Yes they will fit. Don't bother with UP lowering kit. They are so expensive:mad: You can 3D print lowering links or order them for 40 $. Search for it on this forum. Easiest and the most accurate way of lower your car is by reprogramming with Tesla Toolbox.

@UnpluggedP: Why not name them "lowering brackets". Performance Sports Dynamic Suspension Lowering Kit. Wow too many words... Sounds fancy though.