Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered my M3P-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I REALLY want a P but am having a hell of a time justifying it...especially here in Los Angeles where you will never go more than 30mph because of the traffic...but enhanced auto pilot; I don't even know why you would buy a Tesla without it :)

I REALLY want a P but am having a hell of a time justifying it...especially here in Los Angeles where you will never go more than 30mph because of the traffic...but enhanced auto pilot; I don't even know why you would buy a Tesla without it :)
I justified it by saying I really wanted white seats. haha. Then they offered white seats on the AWD and I found out that there were no upgrades except for power so I switched to AWD.

$10k for only 0-60 improvement of 1 second for someone who drives like a grandmother? Lots of filthy rich people on this forum. Haha.

Drive like a grandmother could be a joke. Her joy and her description of the experience are at odds.

If she wants to get to the speed limit faster and can be responsible, let her loose.

Lastly, don’t see the need to bring finances into the picture just like politics. It’s not relevant and what’s purpose?

1.) rationalize ones decisions and a win is to convince others?
2.) make the purchaser feel bad?

An AWD or RWD recommendation would make sense for sure if OP planned to keep it on chill mode the whole time. Doesn’t sound like this is the case.

There’s money.... and there’s MONEY.

To give you an idea of what MONEY and filthy rich is - even the P Model 3 doesn’t meet the financial threshold to be reviewed as a purchase for a filthy rich person. It’s under 100K.

No version of the Model 3 makes someone filthy rich. Not even close. Unless it’s parked next to a plane. And filthy rich people create jobs - so I have nothing against them.

I sometimes have remorse on the 5K rice package .. but not on the Performance base.

I justified it by saying I really wanted white seats. haha. Then they offered white seats on the AWD and I found out that there were no upgrades except for power so I switched to AWD.

Sometimes power is really all that one matters. How do they compare the Corvette, Camaro, Mustang variants mainly by?

Performance.

Last edited:
FYI, I decided to not go with the performance package as well. The stock 18" Aero tires will still get you to 0-60 in 3.5/3.6 from the various videos/contents I've seen. The upgraded 20" stickier tires that you test drove might get you just a little bit faster than that (fastest I've seen is 3.37) and it will impact range.

Most importantly, I've heard that if you get the performance package, the upgraded brake calipers are too big to allow you use the stock 18" Aero tires if you wanted to swap them for range. That was the nail in the coffin for me to say no to the performance upgrade. I'll be happy with 0-60 in 3.5.

If you ever drive to the Inland Empire or Orange County, there are lot more areas for fun driving. With a P3D and free supercharging, I'm planning on going on roadtrips to the various national parks and enjoy nature before the wildfires destroy any more of them. You can add that Free Supercharging in the justification part. If you do decide to switch, you know of a referral lol ;).

I might even start consider going to the Irwindale drag strip.

Drive like a grandmother could be a joke. Her joy and her description of the experience are at odds.
It just sounded to me like she was coming from a much slower car and if she had driven an AWD she would have had the same reaction.

Lastly, don’t see the need to bring finances into the picture just like politics. It’s not relevant.
Finances are the only reason to pick between the AWD and Performance! If finances were no consideration there's really no reason not to get P3D+ with every option. It's not like most ICE vehicles where the high performance models give you a harsher ride, less range, and more noise. No one in the US thinks that they're rich. Haha. We're all middle class. :D

Sometimes power is really all that one matters. How do they compare the Corvette, Camaro, Mustang variants mainly by?
The high end versions of those cars have different bodywork for wider tires, upgraded differentials, huge brakes, upgraded suspension, upgraded seats...

I don't consider a person/family rich until they make 300k+ a year in the major cities. Now if you're in the boonies, you're probably rich once you're above 150k/year. The key differences is housing expense.

Even if you were given a home free and clear in CA, you might not be able to pay the property tax on it. Even at 1%.

This state is brutal AF.

Even if you were given a home free and clear in CA, you might not be able to pay the property tax on it. Even at 1%.

This state is brutal AF.

Thank goodness for Prop 13....and I'm scared of all the legislators who are trying to upturn it to gain more business taxes. My property tax would almost double and I've only been a homeowner for 6 years.

Although it would be pretty hard to argue that property tax is so bad that you can't afford to live in it. Even a 1% tax is 10k/year on a million dollar home which is roughly $830/month, same price as sharing an apartment in most places. Now if you were adding mello-roos, HOAs, insurance, repairs, etc. then we're talking about affordability....

For reference my 1965 built home, my mortgage is only slightly more than half for what I consider to be total housing expenses (such as what I listed above).

Reactions: MXWing
It sounds like it just needs to be adjusted for those live in it. If you want to keep the tax break, it must be your primary residence rather than renting it out....

But, even then the way they have it setup seems MASSIVELY unfair to someone who just moved there.

Not that I have any intention of moving to California.

I wish I remembered the other "California is turning in a feudal state" article because that one had some nifty graphs about how the same neighborhood had wildly disproportionate property taxes being paid.

Edit: Here is the article I was referring to.

More Evidence That California Is Deteriorating Into a Feudal Society of Inherited Land Wealth

Last edited:
But, even then the way they have it setup seems MASSIVELY unfair to someone who just moved there.

Not that I have any intention of moving to California.

I wish I remembered the other "California is turning in a feudal state" article because that one had some nifty graphs about how the same neighborhood had wildly disproportionate property taxes being paid.

It is, but to argue that would bring up the whole issue of whether you should be able to pass your wealth to your children, a far more complex issue. I haven't read the feudal state article.

I generally support prop 13. Sure there is a difference in property taxes that rewards the existing gentry but any new owners know that they were paying into the market rate with the associated taxes. Just because you came in late to the party, you want your neighbors to pay the same rate you did feels entirely unfair. Kinda as unfair as the Model 3 reservation system :oops:.....

But keep in mind, that if the market did go the other direction, you have the option to re-appraise your home and pay reduced property taxes. The government generally isn't allowed to do the same and your'e arguing that they should.

Was there ANY reason to try and turn this awesome topic political?

I don't see it being political as much as I was identifying with who a person was based on their screen name.

Where it was light-hearted fun.

Plus I used the same thing as part of my own justification/rationality in my own decision to go with the P3D over the AWD version (which I would have been perfectly happy with).

Cars make for a nice distraction with what's going on with the world.

Angeles Crest Highway
Big Tujunga Canyon Road
Old Topanga Canyon Road
Stunt Road
Piuma Road

:)

Reactions: Jedi2155
@Jedi2155 @S4WRXTTCS

Interesting information. I think how people
swing is if they are on the beneficial end or not. Welcome to politics. Motivated self interest under the guise of helping “others”.

Being pragmatic, Prop 13 should probably have limitations. What those are would require a lot of thought but no one has interest in solving the problem.

Reactions: Jedi2155
@Jedi2155 @S4WRXTTCS

Interesting information. I think how people swing is if they are on the beneficial end or not. Welcome to politics. Motivated self interest under the guise of helping “others”.

Being pragmatic, Prop 13 should probably have limitations. What those are would require a lot of thought but no one has interest in solving the problem.

This is generally true, although I was surprised by the number of people who voted to help the homeless and agreed to a 1.25% sales tax hike in LA county.
LA County’s sales tax increases Sunday to help the homeless. Here’s how much – Daily News

But yes, prop 13 needs limitations but its very existence is currently under attack. Needs some reform but its original intent was valid.

This is generally true, although I was surprised by the number of people who voted to help the homeless and agreed to a 1.25% sales tax hike in LA county.
LA County’s sales tax increases Sunday to help the homeless. Here’s how much – Daily News

But yes, prop 13 needs limitations but its very existence is currently under attack. Needs some reform but its original intent was valid.

I’m a laissez faire economist but understand the need for governmental intervention to ensure greater public welfare.

Though that is where the rub is at. Every policy has its hangups, negative externalities , moral hazards that ultimately make well intentioned policies do more harm than good.

I’m very much against class warfare and wealth redistribution mainly as they don’t solve fundamental issues.

However, one can hardly argue for harm to ones descendants if they have to pay more than 10,000 property tax on a home valued at 10 million where a block down someone pays the same on a 1 million dollar property.

A good start and low hanging fruit is maybe limit to primary residences.

Of course enforcement would be incredibly difficult. Rich people can and will keep their money easier than anyone else. Not a judgment against rich people - just stating a matter of fact / obvious and expected game theory.

Last edited:
Just because you came in late to the party, you want your neighbors to pay the same rate you did feels entirely unfair.

That's how things are in WA state, but I wouldn't say we have a good system either. It's to the point where long term
Seattle residents had to move out because their property tax got to a point where they couldn't afford it.

In any case my primary motivation for sharing those links was informational, and not for an extensive discussion. I don't even live in California so it doesn't impact me.

Any further discussion would most certainly be political with the same political leanings/biases.