Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered my M3P-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you've got the money to burn go for it!
I wouldn't say it's 'burning' money to get a P3D or P3D+.
I bought a Ford Fusion Energi 2017 this year, waiting for my Tesla 2 years.
I had been daydreaming about a Mustang Shelby GT350 or GT350r.
They are great cars, very fast, and are considered bargains.
But the Tesla is an even greater bargain! Seriously!
Better acceleration, extremely good on the track (when set up right), and much more practical everyday driver!
Better autpilot, far quieter, better gas mileage, faster 0-60, better NHTSA crash safety ratings ...
So I say ...

"If you've got the money and want to spend it very wisely, get a P3D ..."

There is NOTHING else like it at that pricepoint ($65,000, or $70,000).

Reactions: Gavyne
I wouldn't say it's 'burning' money to get a P3D or P3D+.
Better acceleration, extremely good on the track (when set up right), and much more practical everyday driver!
Better autpilot, far quieter, better gas mileage, faster 0-60, better NHTSA crash safety ratings ...
So I say ...

"If you've got the money and want to spend it very wisely, get a P3D ..."

There is NOTHING else like it at that pricepoint ($65,000, or $70,000).

Here's what I said about the sensibility of the P3D on reddit.
Your post makes perfect sense, and that is absolutely commendable, and a sensible decision.

The AWD-P is not a sensible purchase.

I'm normally a sensible personal. In fact, sensibility almost got me. I originally ordered an AWD as soon as orders opened up. Upon hearing about the reduced range/efficiency, and living in an area of California, where the AWD makes zero benefits, I decided to downgrade to a RWD model, because the 0-60 time wasn't suppose to be that big of a difference....then I found myself getting more and more curious/distraught at the decision.

Sensibility almost won out, but enjoyment was losing out. I found myself less excited about the purchase and more about "what if...". My wife told me one important thing, if its within your means, do what you want, and don't do what you'll regret. I switched my order from RWD to AWD-P soon after (which brought many other issues) but it made me giddy as a school girl. My last vehicle cost me $12,000 new, this is going to be a world of difference.

So yes, you are correct the AWD-P is not a sensible purchase, but boy is it exciting and enjoyable in a ways that is hard to put a price on.

The most sensible purchase is just the AWD model which has the best price/performance ratio among the Tesla line up.

I bought a Ford Fusion Energi 2017 this year, waiting for my Tesla 2 years.
I had been daydreaming about a Mustang Shelby GT350 or GT350r.
They are great cars, very fast, and are considered bargains.
But the Tesla is an even greater bargain! Seriously!

You might enjoy this :)

The most sensible purchase is just the AWD model which has the best price/performance ratio among the Tesla line up.

Nope.. I would say that goes to second hand S P85.

Relatively price goes down tremendously if AWD buys the software option alongside the P.

S P85 has zero bothers given on EAP/FSD. It has more cargo room, more mission flexibility, and better performance than the 3LRD.

Thats out of the box approach but kudos for who rolls with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jedi2155
Nope.. I would say that goes to second hand S85D.

Relatively price goes down tremendously if AWD buys the software option alongside the P.

S85D has zero bothers given on EAP/FSD. Raw performance and more room than the 3.

Thats out of the box approach but kudos for who rolls with it.

So I heard Tesla ended their CPO program which had over a 200 point inspection and brought it down to a 70 point mechanical inspection USED car program. I did see a nice used Model X90D for $81k yesterday and showing it to my wife again and again at the Tesla store lol (which had THREE P3D+ for test drives....).

Additionally, I'd argue a P85D is better than S85D on the Tesla used inventory :D given the smaller price delta. But generally I'm afraid that there are more issues than normal in the new used inventory market. Very tempting, but also Model S are much more power hungry than the new 3's.

Reactions: MXWing
So I heard Tesla ended their CPO program which had over a 200 point inspection and brought it down to a 70 point mechanical inspection USED car program. I did see a nice used Model X90D for $81k yesterday and showing it to my wife again and again at the Tesla store lol (which had THREE P3D+ for test drives....).

Additionally, I'd argue a P85D is better than S85D on the Tesla used inventory :D given the smaller price delta. But generally I'm afraid that there are more issues than normal in the new used inventory market. Very tempting, but also Model S are much more power hungry than the new 3's.

Oops.. corrected for S P85.

More power hungry but no nonsense and what-ifs on first owner, 2nd owner supercharger credits or limits. ;)

I have a feeling this buyer will have a "new normal" with this car.

Perfect phrase, doesn't take long to get used to whatever performance you have ;) I figure over the 5 (hopefully more) years we have the car, the difference doesn't matter as much. Around here, ultimate top speed isn't as important as being able to get past the oblivious and distracted in traffic situations

And it's fun, so congrats to op