Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered my P3D. Is there a break in period like ICE?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will say the only thing you need to remember is to season your brake pads.

If you plan to track your model 3, forget that could be super scary.

I didn't realize this was a thing for track use until spending a day the BMW M Performance School. I asked the instructor about breaking in the cars and he said every time they get a new one in they have to do the following procedure:

After finding a safe location to drive your vehicle as fast as 70 miles-per-hour, perform four regular stops—from 60-70 miles-per-hour down to complete stops as you would during normal driving conditions.

Perform medium-effort partial stops (about 50 percent) from 60 miles-per-hour down to about 15 miles-per-hour. Once completed, drive for five minutes with little to no braking, allowing your rotors to cool.

Next, perform four medium- to hard-effort partial stops (about 75 percent), from 60 miles-per-hour down to about 15 miles-per-hour. Once completed, drive for 10 minutes with little to no braking, letting your rotors cool.

Park the car and let your brakes cool overnight. According to the experts at Baer, you’re now 50-percent complete with the seasoning process. To finish the job, you’re going to essentially repeat the procedure from the day before.

Return to your safe location for driving as fast as 60 miles-per-hour. Next, perform medium-effort partial stops (about 50 percent) from 60 miles-per-hour down to about 15 miles-per-hour. Once completed, drive for five minutes with little to no braking, allowing your rotors to cool.

Next, perform four medium- to hard-effort partial stops (about 75 percent), from 60 miles-per-hour down to about 15 miles-per-hour. Once completed, drive for 10 minutes with little to no braking, and let your rotors cool off.

Finally, make six hard partial stops, from 60 miles-per-hour down to about 15 miles-per-hour. Make every effort to perform these stops without locking your wheels. When you’re done, drive for 10 minutes with little to no braking, allowing your rotors to cool.

One more time, park your car and let your brake system cool overnight. If you just installed new brake pads as well, you are now ready to bed-in your brake pads.

I didn't realize that was called "seasoning the brakes" until your post today.
(copy and pasted from) How to Season Brake Rotors

Reactions: Triplett
Do I need to baby it for the first 1000 miles like an ICE?

Any other tips?

Thanks

Only recommendation is to stomp down on the accelerator pedal until the grin goes away... then you know it’s completed the break in period. Regarding charging... no need to condition the battery... charge it below 90% until you need the extra 10% for a long road trip... read the owners manual good info on charging. Enjoy.