Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered Tesla solar panels, tips, do’s and dont’s welcome!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got it. I’m still early in the process but they are coming out this week for the site survey. I’m assuming he’ll be asking where the pw’s and other equipment will be installed?
My main panel and meter is in a crowded area with the garage entry door, ac compressors and water treatment systems on the outside and the air handlers and a small alcove on the inside which is the garage area. I thinks it’s going to take some considerable conduit runs to get from the main panel to some open space for all the new equipment.
When did you order?

IMHO, north should be a no go.

Go to PVWatts to build and compare multiple scenarios for the placement of solar panels on your roof.

I am not certain, but I do not think the HOA can limit where you place the panels.

Florida Statute, Section 163.04​

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
Lessons learned:

- Be patient - this will take a lot longer than 2-days. I have a complex install on a tile roof. I think they had like 7+ work days on my roof. How long the crews are at your house each day is a function of how far you are from their warehouse. I'm hours from the warehouse, so they only worked ~4-5 hrs/d. I ordered my system in April 2021. Install complete last week of September. It's December and I'm happy to report FPL will install my net meter in the next few days (fingers crossed). Tesla says 60-90 days from final inspection to complete net metering. You will be able to use the solar while waiting.

- Be tenacious with everyone - Tesla/HOA/Building Department/Duke. Get what you want. This isn't like paint. This is permanent. Out of sight is out of mind at each step of the process. If you don't care they don't care.

- Don't trust Tesla - I know this sounds bad, but Tesla Energy here in Florida is completely over tasked. Remember you're really dealing with Solar City remnants. If they can, they will cut corners. The installers will take the easiest path for themselves, which may not be the best in the long run. The local building inspector probably doesn't have a clue.

- Know what you are getting - how many panels, which powerwalls (2 or plus or both), which inverter(s) their respective and the total inverter output capacity, how many strings will go to the inverters, what fees are being paid by who. Be very specific.

- Get a copy of the plan set submitted to the local building department. This will change. Many decisions will be made by the install crew on the fly when installing the system. You should be there when they are performing the work.

- This is not gentle on your house. There will be a good bit of thumping and banging and such as they install the system.

- The equipment is first rate. Workmanship looks good. Should last a long time. The install process is a complete PITA.

Good luck

Go to PVWatts to build and compare multiple scenarios for the placement of solar panels on your roof.

I am not certain, but I do not think the HOA can limit where you place the panels.

can't limit but can recommend=bully?

Interesting section in there:
The restrictions cannot act to impair the performance of a solar system or it may be seen as “effectively” prohibiting solar.

Although the association may determine where on the roof the collectors may be installed, so long as the installation is within the area required for its effective operation, that is, south, east or west of due south.

I spoke to my project advisor on the phone and also had the site survey done. They agreed to move the powerwalls location to inside the garage and added 13 additional panels (5.5kw), albeit on the north side of the roof. While not ideal direction, according to pvwatts this will net me an approx additional 6600 kWh per year here in the sunshine state.
I also received the new detailed design sets.
Looks like they will be using the T425S panels and as best as I can tell two powerwall+ and two powerwall 2.1.
So far everything has gone pretty smooth. The few times Ive needed to talk to someone I got right thru on the phone and they were willing to make the changes I’ve asked for and resend me the new designs quickly.
After reading the amount of horror stories here and online elsewhere I am waiting on some kind of problem(s) to arise at any moment. For now I remain cautiously optimistic from my experience so far.