Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just picked up my 19" Cardenio Winter Wheel + Tire set from Tesla. No wheel weights... Unusual?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WilliamG

Hinge Fanatic
Apr 20, 2019
Seattle, WA
So just picked up my winter wheel set for my 2021 Model S Plaid from Tesla service. I did not have them mounted on the car. I noticed only one wheel had a weights on it, and the other three did not. I asked, and they did not seem concerned, and the service advisor told me this happens if the tires are perfectly balanced without them, and that the guy who balanced them literally does this all day... I did not get to speak to the tech.

Since I won't be mounting these on the car for a while, anyone want to chime in here whether I should be concerned? @jebinc

Attachments

• IMG_3474.jpeg
    IMG_3474.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_3475.jpeg
    IMG_3475.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3477.jpeg
    IMG_3477.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 73
So just picked up my winter wheel set for my 2021 Model S Plaid from Tesla service. I did not have them mounted on the car. I noticed only one wheel had a weights on it, and the other three did not. I asked, and they did not seem concerned. Since I won't be mounting these on the car for a while, anyone want to chime in here whether I should be concerned? @jebinc

Isn’t true that these tires were mounted to rims at different times (and likely by different people) over the past theee months while the SC waited for some delayed wheels and back ordered tires to arrive? Being cast rims, different mounting times by different people, and the likelihood that Tesla doesn’t use the more expensive “road force balancing” machines, I would guess that the three weight feee wheels were not balanced, while the one with weights was at a different time and by a competent tech. YMMV.

Edit: Since you have time, and balancing is inexpensive, perhaps eliminate the concern by going to Discount Tire and get a proper road force balance?

Last edited:
Isn’t true that these tires were mounted to rims at different times (and likely by different people) over the past theee months while the SC waited for some delayed wheels and back ordered tires to arrive? Being cast rims, different mounting times by different people, and the likelihood that Tesla doesn’t use the more expensive “road force balancing” machines, I would guess that the three weight feee wheels were not balanced, while the one with weights was at a different time and by a competent tech. YMMV.

No, that's not what happened, - but that's amazing speculation. 🤣 They were all built at the same time. The service center had all 4 tires waiting for the wheels to arrive and had received two wheels a while ago and were waiting for the other two. They only build them around the appointment time in case of cancellation so they can have individual parts for other customers.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc
I agree, in my experience with 20 or so cars I've owned over 35yrs, I have yet to see a "perfectly" balanced wheel that did not need weights. I would definetly take them to a tire shop for a proper balance.
Like @jebinc said, consider the source. That's the same SC that took your front motor out twice cause they managed to install the wrong inverter in it.....and countless other horrible service mistakes.

• Love
Reactions: WilliamG and jebinc
I agree, in my experience with 20 or so cars I've owned over 35yrs, I have yet to see a "perfectly" balanced wheel that did not need weights. I would definetly take them to a tire shop for a proper balance.
Like @jebinc said, consider the source. That's the same SC that took your front motor out twice cause they managed to install the wrong inverter in it.....and countless other horrible service mistakes.

@Muzzman1 It would have been a first for me as well, after 40 years working on as many cars!

Reactions: WilliamG
Alright! Just got back from Discount Tire. They were as surprised as I was. But... tires were all great, and did not need further balancing. I guess I'm just annoyed now that there's a weight on one wheel. Did the guy give up on the last one? 🤣 Anyway, road force numbers are 21, 24, 7, and 13. Those numbers I'm sure mean something.

Anyway, a data point for you all!

@Muzzman1 @jebinc

Attachments

• EDECE4A1-5508-46C8-A899-2D094FC36A05_1_102_o.jpeg
    EDECE4A1-5508-46C8-A899-2D094FC36A05_1_102_o.jpeg
    308 KB · Views: 39
  • D18ABB52-F1CB-4B68-A3DF-BE8DC0F64DE6_1_102_o.jpeg
    D18ABB52-F1CB-4B68-A3DF-BE8DC0F64DE6_1_102_o.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Informative
Reactions: Muzzman1 and jebinc