Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Placed my Model X Order!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gave me a June delivery date so can't wait to join the Tesla family!

One question i have is there any expected changes coming up for the Model X that i need to be aware of before my 3 day (change ur mind return policy) ends?

For example, my buddy bought an X right before they apparently switched from LIDAR to new camera tech and so had to eventually sell his earlier X to get the recently upgraded tech to get the fully autonomous feature (when available).

I know this was a major frustration for him and i just want to avoid this if possible. I researched things but don't see any major upgrades or changes happening like this anytime soon but wasn't sure if the group here heard of anything.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: dlyle65535 and IdaX
General guess is 3rd quarter this year at the earliest.

You may mean AP1.0 to AP 2.0, there hasn't been a lidar in a production Tesla and Elon has said several times that they can do it with cameras only. Also it is speculated existing 2.0 owners can get the computer upgraded later on.

There are some future changes that may not be desirable, such as eventually the cars will need pedestrian noise makers for low speeds.

Of you want the car and it meets your needs then get it. Your friend that got ap1.0 saved themselves a year long wait as AP 2.0 took a while to get going. These cars keep getting better and it's expensive to chase that latest features.

General guess is 3rd quarter this year at the earliest.

You may mean AP1.0 to AP 2.0, there hasn't been a lidar in a production Tesla and Elon has said several times that they can do it with cameras only. Also it is speculated existing 2.0 owners can get the computer upgraded later on.

There are some future changes that may not be desirable, such as eventually the cars will need pedestrian noise makers for low speeds.

Of you want the car and it meets your needs then get it. Your friend that got ap1.0 saved themselves a year long wait as AP 2.0 took a while to get going. These cars keep getting better and it's expensive to chase that latest features.

Thx, I believe my friend was telling me about that pre-2016, all Tesla cars were using older tech (less cameras?) and so they were not able to be outfitted to the new tech that allows for fully autonomous and i got he got it during this transition period.

There are changes coming for sure (they always do throughout the year), but no one knows what or when. Tesla does not tell the public in advance, so the car you get in June is the same car as today as far as we know at this moment.

If you want to hedge against the uncertainty for your deposit/order confirmation you might want to order in April or early May to still get delivery in June because if there were new announcements they will come out by then.

As for your friend... he didn’t really gain anything with the “upgrade” since then. AP2 is still trying to reach parity with AP1 after more than a year. It’s getting pretty close though. As for autonomous driving... EM said “3 months maybe, 6 months definitely”, back in January 2017. They have yet to release anything about FSD.

Gave me a June delivery date so can't wait to join the Tesla family!

One question i have is there any expected changes coming up for the Model X that i need to be aware of before my 3 day (change ur mind return policy) ends?

For example, my buddy bought an X right before they apparently switched from LIDAR to new camera tech and so had to eventually sell his earlier X to get the recently upgraded tech to get the fully autonomous feature (when available).

I know this was a major frustration for him and i just want to avoid this if possible. I researched things but don't see any major upgrades or changes happening like this anytime soon but wasn't sure if the group here heard of anything.

Thanks everyone!
How cool! I am excited to be getting mine soon, but am a bit nervous reading about stuff like this (issues with upgrades, etc.). Is this something I should worry about?

I did a video about this recently. For your situation, I think the best time to buy is now. You'll get free unlimited supercharging using your friend's referral (nobody knows when Tesla will stop giving free supercharging through referrals). Plus, Tesla is going to hit 200,000 EV sales in the US soon which means the federal tax credit for buying a Tesla will start phasing out. Tesla is constantly making changes. There's a lot of speculation about what the next big change is going to be and when it's going to happen, but nobody actually knows. It's best to buy your Tesla now and enjoy this extra time with it.

I did a video about this recently. For your situation, I think the best time to buy is now. You'll get free unlimited supercharging using your friend's referral (nobody knows when Tesla will stop giving free supercharging through referrals). Plus, Tesla is going to hit 200,000 EV sales in the US soon which means the federal tax credit for buying a Tesla will start phasing out. Tesla is constantly making changes. There's a lot of speculation about what the next big change is going to be and when it's going to happen, but nobody actually knows. It's best to buy your Tesla now and enjoy this extra time with it.

how cool! great advice! and i love your video.

• Love
Reactions: Nerdy_Engineer
Brett,
Have you had any major issues with your front drive unit. I currently have a model x on ord,er.
Is going to be a problem in the future.I watch your YouTube blogs
Thanks Terry Flushing New York

Brett,
Have you had any major issues with your front drive unit. I currently have a model x on ord,er.
Is going to be a problem in the future.I watch your YouTube blogs
Thanks Terry Flushing New York
Hey Terry,
No, I haven't had any issues with my front drive unit. My Model X is over 2 years old now, and I've only had a couple of relatively minor issues (front door latches, active spoiler, etc). Overall, Teslas are very reliable. People tend to post when they have a problem so it amplifies the frequency that you read about problems. But the vast majority of Teslas don't have any major issues. Tesla does a good job of watching the repairs/replacements from the service centers and proactively redesigning parts to make them more reliable. And Tesla is very good about covering stuff under warranty or "good will" even if it's something they don't really need to cover.
As for the front drive unit, I thought that was more of an issue on the older Model S's, not the Model X's, but I could be wrong. I don't read through the forum as much as I used to so I'm not as up to date on everything. But I personally have not had any issues with my front drive unit.