Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ran across the first pushy Tesla guy in my experience so far :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So as everyone on here knows by now, I keep waffling back and forth between keeping my order for a brand new Blue on White SR+ and buying a 5,000 mile or less LR RWD....

Well there is one used Model that is a decent VIN (40xxx) for $43,100 with only 3,000 miles on it, AND it's blue as a bonus. It's the ONLY used one in the last week that hasn't had any pictures of it. I chatted with them just now to find out where it is (Jersey) and to ask for pictures. Before the guy could even tell me where it was his reply was "WOW! That's a really nice looking Model 3! I'm jealous!" Which is odd considering there aren't any photos of it... Then he kept following up saying he needed my email and when I just asked for pictures he said a sales advisor would have to call me first. I don't feel like putting money down on it (even if it's refundable) just so they'll go take pictures for me or something. It's THE ONLY used one I'm seeing that doesn't already have pictures posted. This felt so "classic used car sales" with the constant try to get an email and phone number before they will tell you anything and the fake excitement to make it sound like a found a deal. This might be a slightly better deal then the others, but it's not like a found one for thousands less then all the other cars. Anyone maybe know why this car wouldn't have pictures but everyone else does? Anyone from Jersey able to swing by and check it out? :p

It's this guy... 2018 Model 3 | Tesla

Also, if it really is some kind of crazy good deal or something, don't buy it out from me! LOL

I wouldn't say it's a fantastic deal. When both LR-RWD and LR-AWD were offered, the price difference between the two models were $4000, so the theoretical retail price of a new LR-RWD in this configuration would be $44,990 [$47990-$4000+$1000(blue)=$44990]. You would get $1875 tax credit if you bought new.

Reactions: UTMB and alexGS
I wouldn't say it's a fantastic deal. When both LR-RWD and LR-AWD were offered, the price difference between the two models were $4000, so the theoretical retail price of a new LR-RWD in this configuration would be $44,990 [$47990-$4000+$1000(blue)=$44990]. You would get $1875 tax credit if you bought new.

Which I would totally do if I could right now, but it seems they're fully dead, or at least dead enough that I can't find an advisor that will place an order for me... and I only have about 5 weeks to play around before my current Chevy Volt Lease is up and it'll make getting to work a bit harder from having to bum rides from family :p

Otherwise it's $42,190 (SR+, Blue paint, white interior, destination fee) which I currently have on order, or $49,190 (LR AWD, white paint/black interior, destination fee) which is just too much a stretch for me. $7k might not seem like a lot, but somehow I already talked myself into $42k when I was ONLY going to get the Tesla once the base $35k model was out... and I really just can't make a $50k car fit into the budget...

• Informative
Reactions: Leafdriver333
If you can find out specifically where in Jersey it is, I may be able to swing by and look at it as I'm between the Springfield and Paramus stores. If it's at their Mannheim lot, that could be up in NY or down further south and out of the way for me.

...but somehow I already talked myself into $42k when I was ONLY going to get the Tesla once the base $35k model was out... and I really just can't make a $50k car fit into the budget...

Taking this at face value, I wonder if you’ve considered special-ordering the Standard Range version (available only for orders placed in-person?), in the new default but previously premium colour of pearl white (with black interior), to get as close to your goal of the $35k base model as possible. If that was the goal then surely it makes sense to take up Tesla’s cost-reduced version (giving up a little range and a few features, which can probably be unlocked in the future), get a new car, get the $1875 tax credit, and feel good for staying close to your intended limit. Even if it means doing without the white interior. That’s thousands saved towards better things.

Probably good resale value too (optioned-up cars of any type seldom return their value on resale, except supercars where the special lightweight version proves to be the one to have).

-Alex

Last edited:
Taking this at face value, I wonder if you’ve considered special-ordering the Standard Range version (available only for orders placed in-person?), in the new default but previously premium colour of pearl white (with black interior), to get as close to your goal of the $35k base model as possible. If that was the goal then surely it makes sense to take up Tesla’s cost-reduced version (giving up a little range and a few features, which can probably be unlocked in the future), get a new car, get the $1875 tax credit, and feel good for staying close to your intended limit. Even if it means doing without the white interior. That’s thousands saved towards better things.

Probably good resale value too (optioned-up cars of any type seldom return their value on resale, except supercars where the special lightweight version proves to be the one to have).

-Alex
Oh man.... lol

So that's what I originally was going after. I was a little nervous about not having published features and the ability for things to be software locked down the road "when the software is ready". Heated front seats were really important to me, and even though everyone here said they should be included, a Tesla Sr Sales guy in private sent me some information that internally they finally settled on them being included, without an official spec sheet I was worried there wouldn't be a legal record of what was actually included when I bought the car... especially because I'm almost positive Musk or someone at one point tweeted or published something saying SR+ did NOT have any heated seats. So point one for pushing me toward SR+....

Then I started thinking about it more and more and even though I don't do a lot of driving in traffic (don't live somewhere that has it) and only do a handful of road trips a year, Autopilot was sounding cool and I kinda wanted it... I've always wanted traffic aware cruise control and basic AP is that plus a little more, sooooo another point toward SR+

Then, as funny as it sounds, that 20 miles of extra range actually did play into it. I don't know really what the difference in real world range is, but 240 sounded better to me then 220... the the $990 price drop happened... So $3590 to go from SR without AP and a little less range to SR+ with AP/slightly extra range, and a published spec sheet... seemed worth it. Then I said F it and wanted Blue and white interior.... lol

Now, I would trade all that and go with standard black or white exterior and standard black interior if I could snag a LR RWD for ~$45k new and as you can see, still actually debating going for a gently used LR RWD... that range and faster supercharging rate really just is attractive to me. That said, the SR+ isn't a limit, I still think it works as my only car, but the LR RWD basically would be like a gas car for me in the sense that my mapped out travel patterns would be 5 to 10 min supercharging visits at most, which really blends into a standard restroom break or stopping for some coffee. The SR+ stretches things out more to like 15 to 20 minutes with the occasional edge case of like 40 min with the way superchargers are currently positioned (IE not exactly half way so on my return trip it's closer to where I'm starting from and it needs a longer charge to make sure I get home...)

With all that said, a huge credit to Tesla in that they never tried to upsell me. When I was asking about the SR they didn't mention the SR+ until I asked if AP could be added to the SR at some time, then they mentioned the price would get close to the SR+ and I might want to think about that. They honestly just answered questions, it was so nice.... which is why it made this online chat about the used model so... yucky feeling.

Reactions: alexGS
I've road tripped 2 times to Central PA from Denver in my LR RWD and once to Sacramento & San Francisco in my wife's. Excellent experience on all 3. I'd say range is king on a road trip. But it doesn't really matter around town depending on your commute as long as you can charge at home. Your assumptions about Supercharging are accurate.

NoA is amazing, especially on road trips.

People complain when they feel they are ignored. People complain when the feel the help is too enthusiastic. Have you gave a thought this guy was just trying to help? Or if you happen to be an attractive opposite sex (or same sex)? I don't believe he will get a commission out of the sale.

This was via web chat. He could have been helpful just by answer my questions (where it was located and helping me get some pictures of it). I had an order already on my account so I didn’t really want him poking around on my account. I also didn’t feel like having a sales guy call me when I had two REALLY simple questions. Further, there’s no excuse for him pretending to be jealous about the car because it was such a pristine one... when there were no pictures...

• Funny
Reactions: CarlK
I'm not seeing it. He's pushy because he was enthusiastic and wanted your email address? How's he supposed to send you pictures without it, anyway?

I guess you had to be in the chat, I wish I had copied the chat log over. Just the way he commented on how great the car looked right after I gave him the VIN and then made a personal comment about how he was jealous I was going to get that one, when I hadn’t even seen a picture of it! The way he asked for my email 3 times after asking how soon I wanted to buy a Tesla, and then saying I wouldn’t be able to see pictures until after a Tesla rep called me. All those things were different compared to the other Tesla people I’ve spoke with. For one, I don’t know if he was able to see pictures (which then makes it confusing that he wasn’t able to instantly send/share them with me), and if he wasn’t able to see any (pictures hadn’t been taken or something) then just blatantly lying out his ass about how beautiful that car looked. Second, no one has asked to get my number or email or said I need a call back... except traditional scum bag dealers. Tesla has always answered all questions I have as honestly as they could, usually even speculating a little and then following up with “but if you have a Tesla account I can pull it up and check more accurately for you”. That is a nice change and a welcoming way to start working together. Sometimes I just want a second source of info to check up on something I was told before, I don’t want them changing my account or noting anything down. Other times I want something specific (check status of order/car or see if I can match with another car, etc) and I don’t mind giving my account. The asking when I’m going to buy, saying a Tesla rep needs to call me, and then asking for my account email is not the succession of questions I’m used to with Tesla.

Further, this was the ONLY used car showing up that night without pictures, so I don’t think keeping pictures secret is something they’re doing any more...

I put a down payment on a demo model X in May without pics and gave my email. Sometimes you just have to jump on it before it disappears. You totally get refunded before you have to pay the balance with your CC company if you don’t like what you see. I had to bug a little bit to get pics but I got them.