Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just use a mobile charger with 5-15 (at least initially)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! I think I'll go this route.

With a 240v upgrade I think I'll be at "Level 2" charging and can get the rebate through my power company - EV Charger Prep Credit - Duke Energy
Yep if it’s a dedicated circuit all you need is a new double pole circuit breaker, 6-20 outlet and basically re-use the existing neutral as a second hot. No new wire run needed. Definitely worth the investment over a 5-20.

Reactions: Brian_2024
I'll get a quote or two for the 5-20 to 6-20 conversion -- 14mph should be plenty fast. I'm sure I could do it myself, but the panel will need to combine some 15amp breakers to free space for the new double pole and I'll feel better getting a licensed pro.

The other question I have is the outlet is towards the front of the car if I pull in frontwards in the garage. I'm not sure if the mobile connector will reach...I could either back in every time I want to charge or any recommendations for extending the connector? I'll only need an extra 5-10'.

I'll get a quote or two for the 5-20 to 6-20 conversion -- 14mph should be plenty fast. I'm sure I could do it myself, but the panel will need to combine some 15amp breakers to free space for the new double pole and I'll feel better getting a licensed pro.

The other question I have is the outlet is towards the front of the car if I pull in frontwards in the garage. I'm not sure if the mobile connector will reach...I could either back in every time I want to charge or any recommendations for extending the connector? I'll only need an extra 5-10'.
It is probably just barely long enough. The cable is 20' and a Model Y is only 15' long. So, if you pull in far enough, it should just reach.

Reactions: E90alex
It is probably just barely long enough. The cable is 20' and a Model Y is only 15' long. So, if you pull in far enough, it should just reach.
I just measured it out and it came to 22' as I have some stuff along the wall of my garage (so I can't pull all the way forward) and by the time the cord goes to the ground and back up to the car it adds a few feet. I think a 6-20 extension cord is not recommended, so I guess I could either get a Tesla extension cord like https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Charger-Extension-Cable-Compatible/dp/B0B99CQVQ6/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2HII2AYAOYGW2&keywords=tesla+extension+cord&qid=1689862262&sprefix=tesla+extension+cord,aps,90&sr=8-8 for $300 or back into the garage when I'm charging

I just measured it out and it came to 22' as I have some stuff along the wall of my garage (so I can't pull all the way forward) and by the time the cord goes to the ground and back up to the car it adds a few feet. I think a 6-20 extension cord is not recommended, so I guess I could either get a Tesla extension cord like https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Charger-Extension-Cable-Compatible/dp/B0B99CQVQ6/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2HII2AYAOYGW2&keywords=tesla+extension+cord&qid=1689862262&sprefix=tesla+extension+cord,aps,90&sr=8-8 for $300 or back into the garage when I'm charging
More spitballing here... Pose the objective to the electrician - let him know that the cord is only 20', and could he wire an outlet closer to the charge port of the car from the original outlet. In other words, use the current box as just a junction box and run wire in conduit along the wall to a better location and then install the outlet there. It would cost more, but it might be a good solution.

You could also buy the Wall Connector, which I believe has a 24’ cord (check though). I ended up in the opposite situation. I actually routinely back up into my garage since I bought my Model X to allow the Falcon wing doors to open up fully, but the the front of garage charger is now at the wrong location.

For a while, I just charged that way (had to throw the charge handle under the car since the charge port was on the opposite side too), but now I just will park front ways in when I want to charge.

Anyways, my point is that backing your car into the garage is actually fine, better even in some ways. The trunk is now closer to your house access door presumably. I put a strip of tape on the ground that I can view in my backup camera which tells me exactly how far to back up. And leaving is far easier and quicker.

You could also buy the Wall Connector, which I believe has a 24’ cord (check though). I ended up in the opposite situation. I actually routinely back up into my garage since I bought my Model X to allow the Falcon wing doors to open up fully, but the the front of garage charger is now at the wrong location.

For a while, I just charged that way (had to throw the charge handle under the car since the charge port was on the opposite side too), but now I just will park front ways in when I want to charge.

Anyways, my point is that backing your car into the garage is actually fine, better even in some ways. The trunk is now closer to your house access door presumably. I put a strip of tape on the ground that I can view in my backup camera which tells me exactly how far to back up. And leaving is far easier and quicker.

Does the Wall Connector work with a 6-20 receptacle?

Yeah, I'll probably just back in when I need to charge. Will be easy enough, my driveway isn't super long

Yeah, I'll probably just back in when I need to charge. Will be easy enough, my driveway isn't super long
No; The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired (no plug) into a 240V circuit rated for any of 15/20/30/40/50/60 amps. The Wall Connector must be provisioned for the circuit rating, i.e. 20 amps, where it is installed. An electrician would wire the Wall Connector directly to the 2 hot leads and the ground wire at the junction box where there is currently a 6-20 receptacle. If the Wall Connector needs to be mounted higher up than the current receptacle then the electrician would run a short length of conduit, wire from the junction box.

Yeah, you’d hard wire the Wall Connector, and use the current receptacle box as a junction box for the wires. Backing in sounds like the right option! It sounds like a small thing, but having the charging cord on the correct front/back side of the vehicle is a lot nicer.

An electrician would wire the Wall Connector directly to the 2 hot leads and the ground wire at the junction box where there is currently a 5-20 receptacle. If the Wall Connector needs to be mounted higher up than the current receptacle then the electrician would run a short length of conduit, wire from the junction box.
Yeah, you’d hard wire the Wall Connector, and use the current receptacle box as a junction box for the wires.
What they said, with a couple more details... A wall connector might be better overall... If you convert the 5-20 into a 6-20, I think that requires a GCFI breaker, which is more expensive. If you got a wall connector, you do not need a GCFI breaker.

Instead of converting it to an outlet, you would just have the electrician remove the outlet and use that box as either the direct wiring point or run a short conduit up to the wall charger to hardwire. Then, you gain the extra 4' of cable, reduce the installation cost slightly, and have a better, more permanent solution versus having a mobile connector hanging from the outlet with the cord piled on the floor.