Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just wondering...my 2018 Model X has broken down 5 times...reluctant to travel...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having serial problems over the last year - each seems to challenge the repair teams at two different service centers...I'm reluctant to travel because of the concern of breaking down...I've had five major problems already...any suggestions? Has Tesla ever met anyone halfway in this scenario?

Many thanks for reading this!:)
Gary Bowler
New York NY

When you say your car has broken down, do you mean the car was undriveable/stopped those 5 times? Were they all critical, showstopper issues or could you still drive the car? Can you briefly list the issues you've had?
Sure!
1. Car needed towing from my garage - it was finally determined that the wiring harness was defective
2. Car would not take a charge - had 50 miles left - turned out to be the charging unit receptacle
3. Could not gain access to my vehicle twice on a busy midtown Manhattan street - waiting for 30 minutes - used my app, etc., and then the car was accessible
and I could drive it
4. One month later the same exact situation with the car not being accessible occurred in midtown Manhattan - eventually I accessed the vehicle
5. April 15th - car would not start - had to take an Uber to my destination - dashboard was lit but not media display. Had planned to get it towed but decided to reboot it and it started working again.

Thanks for asking!

1 and 2 are certainly problematic. Hopefully it was when the vehicle was fairly new are you're now okay.
3, 4 and possibly even 5 might be related to "phone as key"? If that's the case then the car isn't broken down. Turning off and then on the Bluetooth on the phone often fixes it. It's typically a phone configuration issue. If you have the keycard you can drive anyway.
Otherwise a reboot is an easy way to fix some issues.

Edit: I should have added: with that said, if you don't feel confident, maybe it's time to change the car. I'm not sure much of what we'll say here will change your mind. Once we're stressed about something that cannot be fully forecasted, it's tough.

Last edited:
Yeah… that’s correct - I use the key fob exclusively. And yes, I tried persistently to both ion the doors, start the car, summon it, etc. There was no response. I waited around for a while, randomly trying to unlock the car, and about half hour later it allowed me access.

There has to be options on Tesla’s side - not sure what they could be, but will call today and present my case.

Thanks again - our conversation will ensure that I communicate every detail.

Key fob not working should all be local to the car. Did it happen in the same place both times?

I had a remote entry on a car many years ago that simply wouldn't work in one specific parking lot. My only recourse was to unlock with the key, let the alarm go off, and drive a bit away and then stop the alarm. Happened 3 times in the same place. Of course, no key on a Tesla.

Did you also try the app when the fob wasn't working?

Good to know about your remote entry not working in the same place repeatedly. That might offer some reasoning as to why I couldn’t get into my car in Midtown Manhattan and the same exact space.

Yes, I tried the app, but it didn’t work or make any difference at all.

I’ve had problems with the fob batteries. Many of the batteries from Amazon are frauds — second hand or seconds. The Tesla batteries are hard to find, but don’t use Amazon.

I use Amazon for a lot of stuff, but have been burned multiple times with coin batteries from them. I’ve had good experiences at Battery Plus stores. The big boxes and pharmacies don’t carry the right ones for Tesla.

Good to know about your remote entry not working in the same place repeatedly. That might offer some reasoning as to why I couldn’t get into my car in Midtown Manhattan and the same exact space.

Yes, I tried the app, but it didn’t work or make any difference at all.

If both the fob & ap don't work, I wouldn't think it's interference. But cellular can be spotty in garages, etc.

There is an option that you can put the fob on a certain spot on the car if the fob battery is dead (I know it exists on the S, not sure about the X). This would use a different technology to unlock. Have to look it up in the manual.

Did your X come with MCU1, and if so, does it still have it? It's a long shot, and maybe one you shouldn't mention to service unless you want to pay for the upgrade, but I feel like MCU1 was slow to wake sometimes and those particular issues improved when I went to MCU2. I've been on MCU2 for a long time, so I can only speculate that what I think I remember would have gotten worse.

Reactions: GaryBowler
Great suggestion, however, I also upgraded to MCU2 as well, several years ago.

I did call Tesla yesterday, their national office, and asked for any suggestions or directions after explaining my situation. They did not have any.

So over the next few days, I will in person go to the Tesla dealership with the most experience, which is in Brooklyn, New York, and talk to them about any options, they may be able to offer, even as a trade-in. I don’t think that’s the road I want to go, but I will have documented all the accessories, the extended warranty that is transferable until 2031, automatic hood, how many accessories that I’ve added or upgraded. less than a year ago I paid $2000 for new continental run flat tires.

I just wanna cover all bases in terms of all possibilities that are available to me. I would not support paying a large sum of money in order to acquire a new vehicle. I will let you know what happens after my conversation in person at the Tesla Service center.

I appreciate your responses and follow-ups. That is the beauty of teamwork.

Reactions: henderrj