Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keep Right enforcement in AP ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving in this morning I was stuck 2 cars behind a Model X in the left lane. About a quarter mile of clear lane ahead of her and similar in the right lane yet she wouldn't move to the right and stayed just ahead of the car next to her in the right lane.

Arghhh!

Driving in this morning I was stuck 2 cars behind a Model X in the left lane. About a quarter mile of clear lane ahead of her and similar in the right lane yet she wouldn't move to the right and stayed just ahead of the car next to her in the right lane.

Arghhh!
We here in the 'S' forums all know what those 'X' drivers are like! ;)

Yes it's sad that people complain about traffic yet continue to for the most part ignore "Slower Traffic Keep Right" and "Keep Right Except To Pass" which is both self-centered and also potentially a violation of traffic law.

Worse still our our GUTLESS politicians and government officials who refuse to make this issue a priority. Instead they push to spend BILLIONS more on adding more lanes when "Keep Right Except To Pass" would alleviate a chunk of traffic congestion, driver frustration, and road rage.

In California, Governor Brown is instead spending BILLIONS on a high speed rail project to NOWHERE instead of calling a press conference and buying media ads to push everybody to "Keep Right Except To Pass".

Those of us who've had the life changing experience driving on the Autobahn where "Keep Right Except To Pass" is STRICTLY enforced know just how much better traffic flows... and how much safer driving on the Autobahn is vs. our freeways.

So I challenge every Democrat to pressure your elected Governor to do something REVOLUTIONARY: Get behind a cause that costs very little money and would improve every Californian's life. Put as much effort into "Slower Traffic Keep Right" and "Keep Right Except To Pass" which will have an immediate positive impact as you have in High Speed Rail and other boondoggle projects which benefits a microscopic politically connected minority.

Its just Common Sense.

Reactions: Ciaopec
The image of people learning tricks to force autonomous cars to do things is quite entertaining... Will Google cars really jump forward if they think someone will hit them?

My post was half-serious half joking -- to be clear, I would not recommend fake road rage on Google self driving cars... What I have tested is that aggressively tailgating (at the time with an Audi A6 + ACC, which has extremely an extremely good AEB system thanks to *two* 77GHz radar systems in tandem) will cause the Google self driving Lexuses to speed up, at the time it was to 20mph above the speed limit, which was enough to unbox me and allow me to pass the car.

I think getting autonomous cars to coexist with humans is going to be really troublesome for this reason. I think for a lot of aggressive drivers, half of the reason why they don't do certain things is because they're afraid of getting into an accident, not because it's impolite. If you know you can always cut in front of or "shove aside" a self-driving car because it's programmed not to collide with you, there's a huge fairness problem to the autonomous car.

Technically speaking, you can do that to a Tesla already. If one is next to you and you want to get into its lane, first check that it's an AP model, then just slowly move to the left. Before long, the driver will get the TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY alert and the car will start slowing down because AP will stop accelerating.

It will be really interesting to see how they eventually deal with these problems. Quite frankly I don't even think it'll be a "1.0" feature for Level 4 autonomous cars. There's just too many complicated scenarios and it's hard enough to make a car that doesn't drive itself into guard rails and stationary objects, much less one that outsmarts humans that try to take advantage of it.

So I challenge every Democrat to pressure your elected Governor to do something REVOLUTIONARY: Get behind a cause that costs very little money and would improve every Californian's life. Put as much effort into "Slower Traffic Keep Right" and "Keep Right Except To Pass" which will have an immediate positive impact as you have in High Speed Rail and other boondoggle projects which benefits a microscopic politically connected minority.

Its just Common Sense.

Except politicians would prefer to spend money... they aren't generally interested in easy common sense solutions.

The driver in the OP probably felt like they deserve to be in the left lane because they have a fast car...

Arghhh!
This drives me crazy. I run into it all the time in California. Drivers need to be educated. More signs or public service education would be good.
I end up passing on the right a lot (I know this is risky).
BTW, on a recent trip to western Canada I was impressed that Canadian drivers are the best. They always keep to the right.