Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Keep the free 19" Premium Upgrade, or Ask for the 18" Aero wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They also included the additional cost, and it took about an hour phone calls to verify that they would not be charging us extra. (It would be nice if they would've simply stated that in an email…)

Reid

Reid who did you talk to at Tesla to confirm you weren't getting charged?

My situation may the same as yours. Config was changed by Tesla overnight to 19" wheels (not initiated by me) but like you, the charge is showing up on my account. I talked to my DA and he didn't know anything about the 19's being added free. I don't want to pay for the wheels, but I'd like to talk to someone who could confirm the wheels aren't being charged or that the change is a mistake.

My delivery is this coming Tuesday, I'd really hate to go back into the queue over this.

This has been a real headache since all we got was an email saying that our order had been changed, and it included a purchase contract with the additional charge. I called Tesla and they explained to me that they only issue final purchase contracts for days before pick up, and that would not show the additional cost. I've tried to get that in writing, but haven't been able to get them to do so.

The DA told me that the included contract wasn't a final one since it didn't have the VIN number, which I thought was pretty stupid to send me something that wasn't the final. All in all, this hasn't been as slick of a process as when we initially ordered the car, especially being told we have to pick it up in Fremont, when we are told originally that it would be delivered locally.

UPDATE: I just spoke to our delivery agent (then aren't delivering the thing...) who confirmed what I previously stated. Seems weird that they can't swap out some wheels and save themselves $1500... What is your thinking about the wheels?

Reid

Thanks for the info Reid. I too am concerned about the added cost showing up on my purchase contract especially since the design change wasn't initiated by me (the wheels just showed up on my configuration page and I was sent an updated purchase agreement with no explanation). My DA didn't have any knowledge of the wheels being added for free and was going to try to see if my delivery center could swap them for 18" at the time of delivery (assuming they have an extra set laying around for some unknown reason).

I much prefer the 19" wheels. I don't think there is going to be a noticeable difference in terms of performance (range, acceleration, etc) or ride characteristics. I expect there to be quite a few 18" sets available for sale relatively cheap if the 19s don't meet your expectations.

Just got off the phone with Tesla sales (the general line). They said that the charge does show on the Order Agreement but when they generate the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (24-48 hours before delivery) they will show the charge credited back then. Still a little leery but I guess we'll see what happens...

They likely won’t just swap the wheels to 18’s because the VIN tag on the door says the original wheel and tire sizing. The aviator on the cars screen is just software but this one is their error and to fix may require them to swap vehicles entirely for something so simple.

Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement generated on my account and yes, I am getting charged for the wheels. Looks like I get to make another call to Tesla tomorrow morning. My DA is not responding so I get to wait 30+ minutes on the line again for sales (they at least sounded like they knew what was going on).

We had the same issue. We ordered a solid black, RWD car with the Aeros. A week before delivery (9/4) we received a config email informing me that they had upgraded to the sport wheels. I thought someone at the factory was trying to pull a fast one on me so I edited it back to the Aeros immediately. My OA had no idea why this happened. Lost the ability to edit later that night. Either way we picked up the car on 9/11 with the Aeros. If I only knew that I could have gotten the upgrade for "free"....

Here's one for you - service told me they currently can not change that as evidently can be done on S & X so my car with 19" is shown with aeros on the screen. A first world problem if even a problem ;)

I was told by the service dept on my S that the avator could only be changed by HQ and then the mobile service tech showed me in toolbox how easy it was to swap the wheels, add a spoiler, etc. I'll have to ask next time I'm at service with my 3 if they can swap it around.

At the end of August, ordered a model 3 with the Aero wheels because the we couldn't justify the $1500 upgrade given the stated advantages of the 18" (ride, noise, and wear). Granted, I feel the arrow wheels are truly hideous looking, and we were planning on taking the plastic pipe plates off and putting on the nicer lug nuts and hub cover.

We were told it would take 2 to 4 months for "delivery" (which is a misnomer, because we live in the San Francisco Bay area and were told that we have to go to Fremont to pick it up) then, about a week ago we got a call saying that the car was ready for pickup. A few days later we received an email that confirmed in order change that they had changed the wheels from the arrow to the premium. They also included the additional cost, and it took about an hour phone calls to verify that they would not be charging us extra. (It would be nice if they would've simply stated that in an email…)

So while I definitely like the look of the 19 inch premium wheels better, I'm wondering if it will be worth the trade-off in terms of ride, noise, cost of tires, and faster tire wear. Yes, I hear that the 19 inch "perform" better, but what does that really mean in real life? My wife and I are parents, not testosterone-laden 20-year-olds that have a need to lay a patch at every stop sign.

So of course the question, keep the 19 inch wheels try to get the aero wheels? It may be a non-issue as Tesla may not be able to confirm delivery before the end of the year with the aero wheels, which is the only reason we ordered it now, to take advantage of the federal tax credits. But how hard would it be for them to simply swap wheels? I thought that there may be a whole different speedometer/odometer set up for the different size wheels, but read elsewhere that because of the narrower sidewall on the 19", the two tires are actually the same diameter, so that would suggest the speedometer/
odometer are the same.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.

Reid
Well I ordered and received my car with the 18's because I was concerned about ride quality. Unfortunately I hated the wheels with the areo covers off and even more with them on! So I got aftermarket 18 turbines that I love. Anyway I will sell my set of four 18 inch areo wheels with the lug nut covers, center caps, and the aero covers (no sensors or tires are included) for $400 anywhere within the continental US but the actual shipping costs will need to be paid by the buyer. Someone might use them for snow tires or just use them for long distance trips.

Attachments

• 18 inch turbines, side view.JPG
    18 inch turbines, side view.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 118
I ordered aero but when I came to pick up the car it came with 19's. I told them they must be mistaken because mine was supposed to have aeros, which was confirmed in all the paper work. They got the manager and he said thanks for being honest and they are more than happy to give me the upgrade for free. My app picture still shows aero wheels.

• Love
Reactions: JPUConn
I ordered aero but when I came to pick up the car it came with 19's. I told them they must be mistaken because mine was supposed to have aeros, which was confirmed in all the paper work. They got the manager and he said thanks for being honest and they are more than happy to give me the upgrade for free. My app picture still shows aero wheels.
Wow - what does the sticker inside your driver door say?

View attachment 333347 I would keep the 19’s. If you look at pricing on Tire Rack and compare, tires for 19’s are cheaper.

On the other hand ...

Screen Shot 2018-09-14 at 6.29.20 PM.png

These are 245 width, which would likely fit the base wheels a lot better. As it is, the wheel is too wide for a 235 tire, i.m.o. It looks goofy and it's a curb rash magnet (with 245 width tires, the tire lip would have a much better chance of protecting the rim). 245 would also likely help a bit with Model 3's awful understeer.

I'm guessing the 245 width must be more common and is therefore cheaper.