Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping Tabs on Test Drives during Service Appts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my Model 3 in for service today, and the Tesla app came in handy to see when, where, and how the service employees were driving my car while it was in for service. Fortunately, during the two test drives they went on in my car, they circled the block of the service center and never exceeded the speed limit. I was impressed by how responsible they were. Kudos to the Costa Mesa service center team!

Not sure if this is still the case but shortly after the TeslaCam functionality was introduced I had to bring my Model 3 in for some noisy brake issue. I checked my flash drive when I got the car back and saw recordings of inside the service bay with techs walking around my car and also saw two test drives that they did after the problem had been fixed. I wonder if recording is disabled when they put it in Service Mode now.

Last time I took my car into service, the tech pulled my thumb drive AND disconnected my ROAV dashcam on the windshield. Seems like they did not want me recording anything inside the shop.

edit: Was a little over a month ago to re-align the driver's side rear window.

• Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
I bet you with rrackin
Last time I took my car into service, the tech pulled my thumb drive AND disconnected my ROAV dashcam on the windshield. Seems like they did not want me recording anything inside the shop.

edit: Was a little over a month ago to re-align the driver's side rear window.
i don’t blame them as an entity.

I work in a place where there is no photography allowed for privacy. These days you can post pictures and video, and it goes viral etc.... doesn’t mean we have something to hide but I wouldn’t want anyone filming in my home that is a stranger.

I bet you with rrackin

i don’t blame them as an entity.

I work in a place where there is no photography allowed for privacy. These days you can post pictures and video, and it goes viral etc.... doesn’t mean we have something to hide but I wouldn’t want anyone filming in my home that is a stranger.
Right. Tesla service may have unplugged all that for the sake of protecting their proprietary and trade secret info, and also so there’s no recording of them goofing off haha

Right. Tesla service may have unplugged all that for the sake of protecting their proprietary and trade secret info, and also so there’s no recording of them goofing off haha
Some of this and some to keep owners from freaking out about things they hear or see while the car is there.
I had a owner at lexus freak out because he heard the techs swearing on the dash cam video.

“I can’t believe your techs use words like that”

We unplugged those cameras every time after

Your perspective of Tesla Service staff being a bunch of joy-riding goof-offs is interesting.

A Model 3 is not special and I doubt they have any interest in driving it beyond what is required, which sometimes includes a test of the vehicle’s capabilities (acceleration, handling and braking).

Reactions: Bill Foster
Your perspective of Tesla Service staff being a bunch of joy-riding goof-offs is interesting.
I don’t perceive Tesla service stuff as “a bunch of joy-riding goof-offs”. I was just praising the location feature of the Tesla app and it’s ability to dispel any concern about cars being joy-ridden when in for service (based on personal experiences, anecdotal experiences of others, and viral videos/stories).

For example, I had a Mercedes C230 in the early 2000’s (like you suggested about the Model 3, a C230 is not special or unique, let alone a fast car, by any definition) that was in for service at the Mercedes dealership. During a service “test drive”, the hood flung open and bent in two places because the service tech hadn’t closed it properly. I’m no physicist, but I figure you’d have to be driving pretty fast for a hood to bend in two places after it had been latched but not completely closed