Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping the car connected to the charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you are not planning to charge car, do you keep it still connected to the charger? I found that even car is scheduled for charging off-peak hours, car starts charging and stop on peak hours (very briefly like 4-5 minutes when I am inside). Which option is best for battery? MY24 RWD (2023 manufactured)

Watch out for scenario where battery SoC is at a value where IO does not need to charge, eg IO limit < SoC. In this case car will start to charge at scheduled car time and not stop until it hit the in car limit - ie exactly the same as car and battery schedule/limit. This may not be what was desired.
IO prioritises the SOC. therefore I always have 100% target on Octopus app and adjust my car SOC target only.
If you set car to start charge at 23:30 then IO will create the charge plan according SOC target. It might be that charging will stop after 5:30 but that will be according IO schedule anyway.

Nevertheless, In 6 hrs you can charge 48 kwh which for RWD would be close to 80% of the battery even without IO scheduling

Upvote 0
IO is not working on mine. If I leave it, It starts charging car with peak rate 🤣
It ALWAYS starts charging at peak rate. it stops between 1 to 20 minutes after start of charging. that is how IO works.
It starts to charge at peak rate (you can stop that charging at peak rate via app or in car yourself) and then restarts when Io schedules whole charging.

Unless your car has no data connection where it is parked.

Upvote 0