Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Powerwall and Octopus intelligent issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this is what I want to do- Was this done by Tesla installer?
Yes, it was done by the Tesla installer, but I had to request it that way. They had only ever done installs where the Zappi was after the Tesla gateway.

I requested they move the Zappi from the main consumer unit, add a secondary consumer unit just for the Zappi on the incoming supply, before the Tesla gateway, and then the remainder of the house is supplied from the gateway.

I had to explain why I wanted this, and how it would work in each situation, ie. Batteries charging, batteries full, excess solar, no excess solar. Once they understood the logic, they were happy to oblige. They said it was the first time they'd connected I've that way. To me it seems the logical way to do it, as I never want to charge the car from the Powerwalls. If I ever did, I'd just pull out the granny charger.

Reactions: browellm and PITA
This is what it looks like when charging both cars... but load balancing against a heavy house load.

Screenshot_20230709_233904_myenergi.jpg

I also set up an additional external Consumer Unit outside by the meter box, where I have two 22kW Zappi ev chargers wired on the incoming 3 phase supply
I assume this is a 3 phase consumer unit?

Reason I ask is I have an old house with 3 phase incoming, but then 2 individual consumer units, effectively giving me 2 single phases and a dormant phase.

My zappi is on the phase with the solar pv incoming. This works ok, but I would look to optimise if I add battery storage or another car charger. Any tips?

Edit to say: when I got a smart meter fitted I ensured they fitted a 3 phase one, that replaced 3 old individual meters!

Last edited:
I assume this is a 3 phase consumer unit?

Reason I ask is I have an old house with 3 phase incoming, but then 2 individual consumer units, effectively giving me 2 single phases and a dormant phase.

My zappi is on the phase with the solar pv invoking. This works ok, but I would look to optimise if I add battery storage or another car charger. Any tips?

Yes correct, it's a seperate 3 Phase Consumer Unit.

Your case is interesting, because if you install a Tesla Gateway in 3 Phase mode, you might be able to install a Tesla Powerwall on each of the two single phases. Providing backup to those two consumer units.

Then on the redundant Phase, install another 7kW charger to be used for Intelligent Octopus charging... as it'll be independent to everything else.

Just check first with a professional, make sure that's possible. But sounds like it would work well.

You could potentially install a 3 phase charger on all phases as well... giving the full 11kW

Or ... set up a 3 Phase charger but phase rotated so the primary phase is the redundant one... then if you plug in a 3 phase cable it'll use all 3 phases, but if you plug in a single phase cable it'll only use the primary redundant Phase at 7kW (32 Amps). That'd be a nice trick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toblerone
Thanks guys

But my question is

Can I not connect car charger directly to mains so that Powerwall does not see it or control it at all?

This will allow octopus to charge car independently of powerwall?
Thread revival, but has anyone wired a three way changeover switch rated to the appropriate amperage?

0 = off
1 = P/wall
2 = grid direct

Obviously you’ll need a spark to wire it and a mini consumer unit.

0 = working on charger/isolated
1 = Summer
2 = Winter

Never switch it while in use, but you can get lockable switches.

Thread revival, but has anyone wired a three way changeover switch rated to the appropriate amperage?

0 = off
1 = P/wall
2 = grid direct

Obviously you’ll need a spark to wire it and a mini consumer unit.

0 = working on charger/isolated
1 = Summer
2 = Winter

Never switch it while in use, but you can get lockable switches.
Sounds like a pretty neat solution, actually. Hadn't occurred to me :)