Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohme + intelligent octopus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would someone with IO and Ohme be able to advise on something. I had my charger installed today and did the initial set up which was easy. Connected to octopus no issue, had the confirmation from octopus that IO tariff is now active etc.

I’m just struggling to understand if it’s actually working, or if ohme is just making it up as it goes.

Octopus app shows it’s connected under devices and says to use the ohme app. So if I go to the ohme app it shows IO under my tariff tab. The ohme is connected to my Tesla which is working fine.

I have set a schedule to charge to 80% every day by 6.20. Every other option is turned off (price cap, save money, optimise battery etc).

Plugged in for the first charge and it’s immediately popped up saying ohme has created a dynamic charging schedule and shows me some random time slots. However these don’t correlate to the IO off peak times. I know you can get extra spots, but the schedule looks like it starts immediately and charges to a high rate dropping off during what’s supposed to be the off peak times.

I don’t understand a way to actually tell if it’s using the octopus schedule that should have been sent to the charger or if it’s just making it up and I’m going to get a higher bill that I should.

Attached screenshots of the dashboard I’m currently seeing
IMG_3604.png

You have perfectly summarised both the advantages and disadvantages of using Ohme integration over Tesla API integration. With Ohme seeing the schedule is almost impossible.

From what you have described it all sounds correct. The graph is not very helpful and this has been fed back to Ohme.

One point to make with Ohme integration is the % you set is the amount you want to add to the battery, not the target % as it is with Tesla integration

The chap who runs this group is an authoritative source for all things Ohme integration and should put your mind at ease Ohme EVSE Integration with Intelligent Octopus Tariff Group | Facebook

I've had an odd experience with Ohme/Octopus recently. To my knowledge I have never been given a charging slot out of the 11:30pm - 5:30am window. Recently I seem to get smart charging whenever I plug it in in the afternoon. I've queried with Ohme, but they have said that as long as it is "smart charging" (verified in app and on charger screen) then I will be charged at the off-peak rate. It does seem a strange change in behaviour though. The charger status is online as I they asked me to check this and my the "Price Cap" setting is set to disabled.

I've had the same actually in the last week or 2. I assumed it was down to energy surplus in the grid... maybe they've changed the logic somewhere
I’ve had this too, except a smart charging session on 5-Sep has been charged by Octopus at peak rate on my monthly bill that arrived today.

I’ve just had the same thing (plugged in a few mins ago, got a schedule notification for the next 3 hours of charging, and Ohme app confirms “Smart Charging”). Today is very windy so it could be cheaper to charge now than overnight, I suppose…

Is there a way to see the rate charged on the bill somehow before the bill comes next month?

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1486.jpeg
    IMG_1486.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 53
Oh that's worrying! I've just had the same as it happens, plugged in at 5pm and it's been smart charging since ... My bill comes next so will be going through it with a tooth comb. Are you going to challenge them on it? I defo will be if there's any sessions not on the cheap rate.

I don't think it is possible to see the tariff in real time but if you find a way please share.

Already have, politely.

The fact this is happening to more than just me indicates there might be more to it than a misconfiguration my end 😀

I’ll report back on whatever Octopus come back to me with, of course.
Great thanks, much appreciated. There was a definitely an obvious change in behaviour for me and my config hasn't changed, must be them.

My bill for aug-sept came today and all my charging sessions are on the cheap rate. But the billing period end 7th sept which is before the behaviour changed I think so not very helpful. I'm going to give octopus a call I think

Sorry to hijack the thread, but hoping there may be a quick answer without me starting a new one. I've just signed up and had confirmation of my switch to IO. I've tried chasing my tariff in my ohme app, but it can't find intelligent octopus although it oddly gives me a link to upgrade to it. Anyone seen this?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but hoping there may be a quick answer without me starting a new one. I've just signed up and had confirmation of my switch to IO. I've tried chasing my tariff in my ohme app, but it can't find intelligent octopus although it oddly gives me a link to upgrade to it. Anyone seen this?
It can take a day or two for the app to update with the new tariff. As long as your EV is charging using IO, you’ll be billed at cheap IO rate for the IO schedule.

If it’s not updated in a week, give Octopus help a poke.