Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keeping your Tesla clean

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the nation is in quarantine I’ve used the last couple of weekends to give me blue model 3 some TLC.

However, within one journey the ‘dirt magnet’ is filthy.

Any tips on cleaning products/methods to detract dirt?

Did you wax or seal it when you had finished washing? Those products should help repel dirt, ultimately a ceramic coating product is one of the best ways to repel water and dirt. The properties mean that just driving through a shower can actually lift off the dirt and clean the car for you.

Just thought I would feedback on my experience of ceramic (mild) coating the car myself.

Last week in the good weather I coated my white model 3 with Gyeon Can Coat, I washed it again today and the way the water and dirt just falls off is amazing and will definitely help with future washes, also the car looks super clean and shiny. Full professional coating will be a couple of grand I'm guessing, so while I had the time I thought I would give it a go.

What you will need:
A day at home!
Gyeon Can Coat
Gyeon Bathe shampoo - Or use your ph neutral shampoo - Bathe should work best to protect the coating.
Bilt Hamber Surfex HD - Degreaser
Bilt Hamber auto foam - Again use your preferred snow foam
Gyeon Iron
Gyeon Prep
Gyeon Cure
About 10 microfiber cloths
Brought all my stuff online from cleanmycar and it came really quick and cost about £150.

Ideally you should do the coating in doors if possible, I don't have a garage so just waited for a couple of days with no rain predicted.

Starting with a dirty car
I found the tyre treatment Tesla they put on sprayed all over the car after pick up, so I sprayed diluted degreaser around the bottom half of the car.
Snow foam
Spray off
Shampoo wash
Spray off
Spray Gyeon Iron over the paint - Even the two week old car showed up loads of iron fall out
Fallout.jpg
Wipe with cloth
Spray off
Dry really well
Make sure it is clean, as this is the surface you will be covering.

Doing a panel at a time- I didn't do the glass.
Spray on Gyeon Prep - Cleans off anything left over.
Wipe off with a clean cloth (Should do the whole car)
Wipe again with another clean cloth (Should do the whole car)
Apply 4-5 spays (Do this well away from the car and wind, to stop spots falling where you don't want them) of Can coat to a clean cloth and wipe over panel, making sure to cover everything. It will look like you need to put on loads of product but don't you need hardly any.
Then wipe over with another clean cloth to make sure all spread and no high spots.
Do whole of car and chrome trim.

Wait 2hrs
Apply 4-5 spays of Can coat to a clean cloth (Use same cloth for whole car) and wipe over panel, making sure to cover everything. It will look like you need to put on loads of product but don't, you need hardly any.
Then wipe over with another clean cloth to make sure all spread and no high spots.

If in a garage apply Gyeon cure the next day.
If outside apply Gyeon cure after another 2-4 hrs, basically before it gets damp. Try not to drive for a day!
Once Gyeon cure is on you should be protected from rain and water spots.

Don't wash for 7 days.
At next wash you can apply Gyeon Cure when drying the car. Basically spray onto the wet car and dry off with a towel. This protects the underlying coating and means it will last longer.
washing.jpg

You may think this is a lot of money, but judging by how much (little) product I used. I should be able to do about 10 more cars with the Can Coat!

I think traditional wax is yesterday's news. I now use CarPlan No.1 Super Gloss - it's clear polymer you spray on. There are quite a few similar products. Wash the car with a decent shampoo the get rid of most of the remaining water after rinsing, then use this stuff - it can be applied even if the surfaces are not completely dry. Buff down with a microfibre cloth. Beading lasts for many months. There are no white residues.

Just thought I would feedback on my experience of ceramic (mild) coating the car myself.

Last week in the good weather I coated my white model 3 with Gyeon Can Coat, I washed it again today and the way the water and dirt just falls off is amazing and will definitely help with future washes, also the car looks super clean and shiny. Full professional coating will be a couple of grand I'm guessing, so while I had the time I thought I would give it a go.

What you will need:
A day at home!
Gyeon Can Coat
Gyeon Bathe shampoo - Or use your ph neutral shampoo - Bathe should work best to protect the coating.
Bilt Hamber Surfex HD - Degreaser
Bilt Hamber auto foam - Again use your preferred snow foam
Gyeon Iron
Gyeon Prep
Gyeon Cure
About 10 microfiber cloths
Brought all my stuff online from cleanmycar and it came really quick and cost about £150.

Ideally you should do the coating in doors if possible, I don't have a garage so just waited for a couple of days with no rain predicted.

Starting with a dirty car
I found the tyre treatment Tesla they put on sprayed all over the car after pick up, so I sprayed diluted degreaser around the bottom half of the car.
Snow foam
Spray off
Shampoo wash
Spray off
Spray Gyeon Iron over the paint - Even the two week old car showed up loads of iron fall out
View attachment 531752
Wipe with cloth
Spray off
Dry really well
Make sure it is clean, as this is the surface you will be covering.

Doing a panel at a time- I didn't do the glass.
Spray on Gyeon Prep - Cleans off anything left over.
Wipe off with a clean cloth (Should do the whole car)
Wipe again with another clean cloth (Should do the whole car)
Apply 4-5 spays (Do this well away from the car and wind, to stop spots falling where you don't want them) of Can coat to a clean cloth and wipe over panel, making sure to cover everything. It will look like you need to put on loads of product but don't you need hardly any.

Wait 2hrs
Apply 4-5 spays of Can coat to a clean cloth (Use same cloth for whole car) and wipe over panel, making sure to cover everything. It will look like you need to put on loads of product but don't, you need hardly any.

If in a garage apply Gyeon cure the next day.
If outside apply Gyeon cure after another 2-4 hrs, basically before it gets damp. Try not to drive for a day!
Once Gyeon cure is on you should be protected from rain and water spots.

Don't wash for 7 days.
At next wash you can apply Gyeon Cure when drying the car. Basically spray onto the wet car and dry off with a towel. This protects the underlying coating and means it will last longer.
View attachment 531753

You may think this is a lot of money, but judging by how much (little) product I used. I should be able to do about 10 more cars with the Can Coat!
Thanks for the detail. Did you mean cleanyourcar? Thanks

I use the tech solution
I wait for a nice thunderstorm or other heavy rain.
Open the garage door and summon the car out into the downpour
Leave it a while to get really soaked then summon it back into the garage and use a stack of microfibre cloths to dry it off
:D

So you wash your car with acid rain, no soap and zero buckets. I’m sure it will look great after a couple years if that.

While the nation is in quarantine I’ve used the last couple of weekends to give me blue model 3 some TLC.

However, within one journey the ‘dirt magnet’ is filthy.

Any tips on cleaning products/methods to detract dirt?

I would really recommend a ceramic coating. Never done one before, but after reading Tesla paint can be a bit on the sensitive side I thought I would give it a go and opted for the Carpro CQuartz UK 3.0.

I am certainly no pro detailer or anything and found it really easy to apply...there are nuances in the instructions regarding timing/stages so just give them a thorough read and you'll be very pleased with the results.

Washed it twice since and the beading still looks amazing - the water hardly sits on the sides of the car at all.

The only thing that doesn't come off from snow foam alone are bits of tar (never had a white car before so these now stand out like a sore thumb!!)...quick wash with shampoo/mitt though and these lift away easy.

...I'd say it took me 6 hours from picking up the jet wash to sticking all the cloths in the wash at the end. Prepare for some sore shoulders/forearms the next day though!! :D

So you wash your car with acid rain, no soap and zero buckets. I’m sure it will look great after a couple years if that.
Pretty sure that using a bucket while washing the car doesn't prevent it from getting rain water on it when you're driving it around. :D
Its really hard to get the falling rain to hit those downward facing parts, so I have to resort to my favorite single bucket method for a decent wash.