Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kenriko Chrome Delete Kit: Show off your tips and pictures here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that’s the test whether you need to clay. If it feels smooth as glass you’re probably good to go. But if you feel deposits..clay first.

Good advice and the "baggie test" works well too. My advice is clay either way if you have the clay. Its what, maybe 3 sq ft of surface area? 20m of claying is nothing considering its 3-6 hours of install time Though if you don't have clay, Simple Green works well for contaminants too.

I installed the satin black chrome delete kit over the labor day weekend. The kit was great. Well packaged. Well designed. I appreciated all of the +1up extra lives. It’s a really good set, and I recommend it.

The installation?... Not so great. It was way harder than I had expected.

Quick little blurb about me. I consider myself pretty good with my hands (in terms of crafts, not in terms of fighting!). I’m an architect, I draw and sketch reasonably well, I build models. The only vinyl wrap experience I have is the Kenriko cup holders. That went OK. This wrap kit is substantially more difficult to install than the cup holders.

Regarding my installation, it’s a bit like a Monet painting. It looks good from far away, but as you get closer, you can see several little slivers of chrome peeking through in many areas. In some corners, you can see bunching up of the vinyl. It definitely looks like an amateur installation.

Ever hire a professional house painter? Ever paint a room in your house? It’s sort of that difference. I expect the professional to be perfect. When I paint a room myself, “eh, maybe it’s OK that I didn’t paint the wall behind the toilet.”

Here is a link with photos. Chrome Delete DYI Install Kit

Surprisingly, the mirrors were not that bad. Where I really struggled were the long pieces of trim.

For example, at the top trim:
  • If you leave too much material at the top, then it will “double up” on itself, when you push it into the crease. You can see the bunching if you look closely. It will also leave an exposed silver sliver at the bottom.
  • If you leave too much material at the bottom, then it won’t wrap up and engage the top of the trim.
  • If you pull too hard, it will stretch, and you end up with too much on the other end.
  • Once it’s off line, then it’s challenging to get it back in the correct position. If the vinyl is down, pulling it up to reposition it will stretch it. You’ll see “stress” marks on the vinyl. I hope they go away in time.
The back triangular window was also quite tricky. Unlike the other windows, it’s got a rigid gasket, so you have to nail the position of the vinyl just right. If you try to push the vinyl into the rigid gasket, it bunches up and looks bad. Plus the rigid gasket will scratch if you’re not careful.

I did the clay bar. I also bought a home depot heat gun. Wooo boy… A little bit of heat goes a long way! A little too much heat, and the vinyl becomes a wobbly mess.

Overall, I recommend this kit to people who are adventurous, and those who have proficiency with vinyl. I am less than ecstatic about my installation. I will likely re-order several replacement pieces from Kenriko.

That's a pretty good write up, someone with more vinyl skills will have an easier time.

@Saeborne the reason the front of your handles are bunched is you have extra material there, less overlap and a bit of heat on that front edge and they will be perfectly smooth.

I'm pretty sure you installed the T2 Piece upside down which is why you have that sliver of chrome.

The back triangular window was also quite tricky. Unlike the other windows, it’s got a rigid gasket, so you have to nail the position of the vinyl just right. If you try to push the vinyl into the rigid gasket, it bunches up and looks bad. Plus the rigid gasket will scratch if you’re not careful.

The rigid rubber trim you are talking about for the triangular window can bet lifted up a bit to make it easier for the vinyl to be tucked under it. Start from the edge by the door and work your way back.

You guys are scaring me. I purchased one of the recent batch and hope to receive and install shortly. In the meantime, I'm going to continue to follow this thread for additional pointers.

Question: do you all think a 1200 watt hair dryer is good enough, or should I purchase a heat gun?

Batch 3 is the last batch to include the birchwood bonus for free. We only have a few units of batch 3 left.
Fence-sitters you have been warned. ;)

Any idea when you’ll be selling the window trim pieces separately from the mirror? Ballpark cost for those? I didn’t use any of the extra mirror pieces so I have those. But I would like to have the other pieces on hand to replace if need be. Would be best to just order another complete kit?

Any idea when you’ll be selling the window trim pieces separately from the mirror? Ballpark cost for those? I didn’t use any of the extra mirror pieces so I have those. But I would like to have the other pieces on hand to replace if need be. Would be best to just order another complete kit?

We will start selling them separate once we can get out of having to do batches. Currently, demand is still stronger than supply so we don't have any "extra" to sell separately. We'll get there.

$69 Mirrors, $69 Trim, $15 Handles, $15 Cameras = Complete Kit Price.

If you don't want to wait you could always buy the kit and sell off the mirrors etc.. I know there is demand for them individually.

200.gif