TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Key cards

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by intjester, Jul 24, 2018.

1. intjester

intjester Member

Does anyone know if key cards can be remotely disabled by Tesla?

Say you lose your wallet which has both your Model 3 key card and your Driver’s License which shows where your Model 3 lives. Your car is now in extreme danger of being driven away if you take it home.

Can this be resolved over the air, or would it require a service visit? As far as I know, there are no identifying serial numbers marked on the card - it’s just an unmarked black slab. I assume both cards would need to be disabled and new cards issued, but maybe Tesla has a cleverer answer than that? I’ve not seen it discussed.

In the olden days of carrying keys on rings, there was no easy way for a key theif or finder to know which locks they would open. Key card in wallet seemingly changes that situation quite a bit.

2. trace

trace Member

Yes the key card can be "disabled" remotely -- it's really just the car not responding to the key anymore.

3. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

You can delete the key car yourself as well. It's in the same location as the list of all the devices that is associated with your car.

• Like x 1
  4. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Not they key cards. Can only delete the phones. Not the key cards.

5. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I've actually never tried. I just thought you could because they are listed there. I guess it makes sense that you have to have Tesla delete them since there's no way for you to set a card up yourself?