Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key cards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if key cards can be remotely disabled by Tesla?

Say you lose your wallet which has both your Model 3 key card and your Driver’s License which shows where your Model 3 lives. Your car is now in extreme danger of being driven away if you take it home.

Can this be resolved over the air, or would it require a service visit? As far as I know, there are no identifying serial numbers marked on the card - it’s just an unmarked black slab. I assume both cards would need to be disabled and new cards issued, but maybe Tesla has a cleverer answer than that? I’ve not seen it discussed.

In the olden days of carrying keys on rings, there was no easy way for a key theif or finder to know which locks they would open. Key card in wallet seemingly changes that situation quite a bit.

Does anyone know if key cards can be remotely disabled by Tesla?

Say you lose your wallet which has both your Model 3 key card and your Driver’s License which shows where your Model 3 lives. Your car is now in extreme danger of being driven away if you take it home.

Can this be resolved over the air, or would it require a service visit? As far as I know, there are no identifying serial numbers marked on the card - it’s just an unmarked black slab. I assume both cards would need to be disabled and new cards issued, but maybe Tesla has a cleverer answer than that? I’ve not seen it discussed.

In the olden days of carrying keys on rings, there was no easy way for a key theif or finder to know which locks they would open. Key card in wallet seemingly changes that situation quite a bit.
You can delete the key car yourself as well. It's in the same location as the list of all the devices that is associated with your car.

Reactions: Pkmmte