Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob not under warrenty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fob battery died after 2 years, after switching one stopped working all together, the other only worked passively in the cup holder.

Brought it for service with some other warranty issues and they said they need to replace the fobs and they are not under warranty as they are “consume-able” so $160 each?

Saw some other threads around battery replacement issues. Does this sound right?

I just had one fob replaced under warranty last week. It would kill a new battery in a couple of hours. Ranger tried some stuff on it during a mobile service call then programed a new one for me saying it was defective and constantly broadcasting or something. There was no charge for the service or the new fob.

That doesn't sound right at all, no way is the fob consumable, they probably think they're going to replace the battery and charge you for it, but I would clarify with them vs arguing after the fact. These fobs seem to have a higher failure rate than most based the minimal input available to me, so I suspect your fobs may very well have failed. That having been said, you should test the "new" battery voltage before you take in the fob as dead, just to be safe.

Tried 8 batteries and even tested with multimeter before bringing it in since there doesn't seem to be a super reliable source of them.

Pretty sure no confusion with battery change at SC since they mentioned testing the transmitters in the car and given the price.

All seems kinda sketchy especially with one fob working passively in cup holder and the other dead altogether.

Without rentals and being pretty much impossible to get a hold of someone in person, service has really gone down hill especially compared to other brands as mentioned in another thread.

I suggest that you create a separate service request for the key fob issue. That is what I did. Perhaps that kicks off a different process for warranty work?

The mobile tech says there is quite a bit of programming involved in troubleshooting them and he was allocating 4 hours to fix mine. Within 30 minutes he determined that it was defective and went and got a replacement fob.

Fob battery died after 2 years, after switching one stopped working all together, the other only worked passively in the cup holder.

Brought it for service with some other warranty issues and they said they need to replace the fobs and they are not under warranty as they are “consume-able” so $160 each?

Saw some other threads around battery replacement issues. Does this sound right?

I’ve had mine replaced under warranty, but that was a couple years ago...