Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"key" recognition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning my Model S did not recognize either of my keys and wouldn't open the doors although the batteries were relatively new (got the car services about 3 months back and it was supposed to include insertion of new batteries!). Fortunately, through the iPhone app, I was able to "unlock" and "start" without the key.

What could have gone wrong? What do I do if there is no internet connection and the app doesn't connect to the car? Has it happened to anyone?

This morning my Model S did not recognize either of my keys and wouldn't open the doors although the batteries were relatively new (got the car services about 3 months back and it was supposed to include insertion of new batteries!). Fortunately, through the iPhone app, I was able to "unlock" and "start" without the key.

What could have gone wrong? What do I do if there is no internet connection and the app doesn't connect to the car? Has it happened to anyone?

iPhone? Try Android? :rolleyes:

Did you try double-clicking the top of the key? I assume you did, but for the sake of the readers I point out that occasionally when the car goes to deep sleep, the auto-present handles don't always auto-present immediately. If you double-click the key, things begin to wake up.

My S85 is currently at the Service Center to have an antenna replaced because of how poorly it recognized the fob. I had the problem where holding the trunk switch didn't wake it up and double pressing the top of the fob didn't wake it up. The only thing that did work was using my phone to unlock the car. I can open the frunk from 70 feet away on the loaner I am driving. On my car the fob had to be about 1 inch in front of the nose cone to open the frunk and it usually took about 5 tries.

I once gave a bunch of teenagers a ride in my Model S. They all had their phones out doing stuff. I had to try several times to start the car - it wouldn't see the fob. Too much interference I guess!

My car's trunk antenna is very weak. If you have the fob in your shirt pocket you can't open the trunk. It works if you have it in your pants pocket... but if you stand to one side it doesn't work. The fob has to be pretty much right in front of the latch handle.

My S85 is currently at the Service Center to have an antenna replaced because of how poorly it recognized the fob. I had the problem where holding the trunk switch didn't wake it up and double pressing the top of the fob didn't wake it up. The only thing that did work was using my phone to unlock the car. I can open the frunk from 70 feet away on the loaner I am driving. On my car the fob had to be about 1 inch in front of the nose cone to open the frunk and it usually took about 5 tries.
Thanks
Where is the antenna?

I once gave a bunch of teenagers a ride in my Model S. They all had their phones out doing stuff. I had to try several times to start the car - it wouldn't see the fob. Too much interference I guess!

My car's trunk antenna is very weak. If you have the fob in your shirt pocket you can't open the trunk. It works if you have it in your pants pocket... but if you stand to one side it doesn't work. The fob has to be pretty much right in front of the latch handle.

You might be onto something here. I use AT&T as a cell provider and my wife has VZW. We've had both keys replaced as well as the body module that is responsible for key communication. My wife still has some problems with the key being detected, even when it's the only thing in her pocket. I wonder if VZW's CDMA/LTE frequencies are to blame for this. I think I'll do some experimenting this week.

You might be onto something here. I use AT&T as a cell provider and my wife has VZW. We've had both keys replaced as well as the body module that is responsible for key communication. My wife still has some problems with the key being detected, even when it's the only thing in her pocket. I wonder if VZW's CDMA/LTE frequencies are to blame for this. I think I'll do some experimenting this week.
Thanks
I use VZW. Until this morning, I never had a problem. I actually stood within inches from the door and tried practically circling around the car. (funny-one different was that I am wearing a jeans pant today as opposed to my usual dress pant! May be the Wifi doesn't go through heavy fabric! But again, I even tried the key fob in my hand.) It got me really worried ...what if it happens when I am in the middle of nowhere and didn't have my cell phone to "unlock". reading from another site, I didn't know that there are a ton of different antennas in Tesla Model S!
How do I prevent "Deep Sleep"?
What is the best place to stand for opening the door handles and the trunk?
Is there a manual way f opening the door?
What does keyless start/driving really mean? Can I drive without the key-for how long? If I stop and turn off, would it start again? Am I at risk of anything else if I didn't have a functional key? Could anyone else drive off the car?

Thanks
I use VZW. Until this morning, I never had a problem. I actually stood within inches from the door and tried practically circling around the car. (funny-one different was that I am wearing a jeans pant today as opposed to my usual dress pant! May be the Wifi doesn't go through heavy fabric! But again, I even tried the key fob in my hand.) It got me really worried ...what if it happens when I am in the middle of nowhere and didn't have my cell phone to "unlock". reading from another site, I didn't know that there are a ton of different antennas in Tesla Model S!
What does keyless start/driving really mean? Can I drive without the key-for how long? If I stop and turn off, would it start again? Am I at risk of anything else if I didn't have a functional key? Could anyone else drive off the car?

My wife has no problem getting in the car, it's just turning the car on. It says "Key Not Detected" until she holds it near the center console.

Thanks

Just for clarity's sake - had you tried double-clicking the top of the key fob to unlock the car and present the handles? Or were you relying solely on the handles' auto-presentation when you come near the car?

You can turn off energy savings to prevent deep sleep, but I wouldn't recommend it.

As for where to stand, there seems to be a dead spot at the charge door, but anywhere forward of the rear door tends to work.

Double-click the top of the fob to unlock the doors and present the handles to you if the car is in a "deep sleep" mode (usually this only happens after 18+ hours of not driving the car). There is no manual way of opening the door if the key fobs and app do not work, although Tesla will tell you that if the key battery is weak you can place it near the passenger windshield wipers and double-click the top of the fob.

Keyless start via the app means that you have 2 minutes to step on the brake and "start" the car from the time you enable it. Once the car is "on", the car will remain on until you get out of it, at which point you'd need to use the app again.

With your MyTesla e-mail address and password, someone could unlock and activate the car - keep them secure.

Just for clarity's sake - had you tried double-clicking the top of the key fob to unlock the car and present the handles? Or were you relying solely on the handles' auto-presentation when you come near the car? You can turn off energy savings to prevent deep sleep, but I wouldn't recommend it.]

Tried double click several times. Stood around every angle and tried. Tried to open the trunk.
Now I am at work and the parking lot is a couple of blocks away! Hopefully, I could open and start the car.

But, I need feedback on what went wrong just today? I have been driving this car for over 2 years and the battery is good!

Tried double click several times. Stood around every angle and tried. Tried to open the trunk.
Now I am at work and the parking lot is a couple of blocks away! Hopefully, I could open and start the car.

But, I need feedback on what went wrong just today? I have been driving this car for over 2 years and the battery is good!

I really don't know, I haven't run across the case where a double-click of the fob wouldn't unlock the doors... perhaps others have had experience?

- - - Updated - - -

IT is VERY annoying that there is no antenna near the charge port. What should be a very efficient morning routine, walk around the back of the car, unplug the charger, go to front door and open does not work. It should be such an easy fix!

Or the "Tesla two-step" where you shift left 2 steps until it unlocks, then you can unlock the charge port. :)

I really don't know, I haven't run across the case where a double-click of the fob wouldn't unlock the doors... perhaps others have had experience?

- - - Updated - - -

Or the "Tesla two-step" where you shift left 2 steps until it unlocks, then you can unlock the charge port. :)

Glad to report it works now! Don't have any explanation.
But I am curious. After I wrote about rain water pouring from the trunk lid, some one from tesla called to come for a fix. I wonder whether a) Tesla personnel are attentive to this forum, and b) whether Tesla could remotely fix problems. It doesn't bother me but I am curious.

Glad to report it works now! Don't have any explanation.
But I am curious. After I wrote about rain water pouring from the trunk lid, some one from tesla called to come for a fix. I wonder whether a) Tesla personnel are attentive to this forum, and b) whether Tesla could remotely fix problems. It doesn't bother me but I am curious.

a) Tesla is known to have lurkers here, but they are actively discouraged from posting;
b) There are some things that can be fixed remotely - they once had to blow away the album art cache that decided to display an album cover for the Pennsylvania Polka on every single station I turned on, in the early days.

FWIW, I have VZW and an iPhone 6+ and have had no problem at all.