Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kind of regretting getting SR+ and not LR or AWD, anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2013 S60 last June and put quite a bit of mileage on it since then. Average range at 90% is 165 miles and only once did I come close to zero. 98% of the time I do not need the extra range and I sometimes wonder if I needed an 85 or 90 and haven't really missed the extra range. I believe the supercharger network was made at a minimum to accommodate the 60 battery. Any additional range beyond 208 rm should be fine.

Reactions: duanra
I did the following experience with abetterrouteplanner. I planned the same trip with all the M3s. The result was that you spend more time charging with the standard than with the long range. Basically, on a 800km trip, it will take you an extra hour with the smaller battery.
So my point is, it all depends how much you value the time you are going to save...

Why? I'm just curious. I have a P3D+ with all of the bells and whistles, so this wouldn't fall into my realm, but assuming someone has access to charge every day at home, doesn't want to spend $10k+ on range they will likely never use and wants to take advantage of what Tesla offers, it only makes sense.

I've always said to prospective Tesla buyers to always factor in AP/FSD. It is what makes Tesla, Tesla.

Well, I did say”to each his own”. If having AP/FSD is important enough to you that you want to give up range, nicer materials, better audio, Homelink, and all of the other features of the LR vs SR that’s a personal decision. I can see AP being used frequently if you do a lot of highway driving, but why spend an extra $5K on FSD at this point for such limited functionality. I’d personally rather put the extra $5K toward range and better interior. You can always add FSD down the road if and when the product is more mature. But I get the fact that everyone’s priorities are different.

Reactions: turtlesz
...but why spend an extra $5K on FSD at this point for such limited functionality. I’d personally rather put the extra $5K toward range and better interior. You can always add FSD down the road if and when the product is more mature. But I get the fact that everyone’s priorities are different.

I believe this is why I see it so much more different than others. I purchased EAP for $5k and FSD for $3k. Now the pricing is reversed. The way I see it is if you are debating the cost of FSD vs. immediate upgrades, absolutely get the immediate upgrades. However if you're debating the cost of Autopilot vs. upgrades, Autopilot makes more sense. Upgrades + AP, no FSD, is a way better option than AP+FSD, no upgrades.

Reactions: turtlesz
I believe this is why I see it so much more different than others. I purchased EAP for $5k and FSD for $3k. Now the pricing is reversed. The way I see it is if you are debating the cost of FSD vs. immediate upgrades, absolutely get the immediate upgrades. However if you're debating the cost of Autopilot vs. upgrades, Autopilot makes more sense. Upgrades + AP, no FSD, is a way better option than AP+FSD, no upgrades.

For the most part I agree with your logic. But we purchased EAP (and later FSD) on our first Model 3 and found that we almost never use it. We rarely drive on the freeways and it just doesn’t work well in city driving. So I decided to skip AP completely on our second purchase. But if I drove on the freeway a lot I would definitely spring for AP. I’d skip FSD until it really offers anything I can’t live without, which at present it does not.

This is completely untrue. The current EPA standard is only a few years old. It happens to be the toughest standard in the world. Other testing mechanisms give higher ranges so you can complain all you want but it is the best. It is one of the few areas that the US leads the world anymore. It is true that the testing does involve lower speeds but then a correction is done. I find that the correction is still overdone for aerodynamic cars meaning cars with better aero do relatively better than EPA at true highway speeds.

If you go 55 mph, you should exceed the range.

Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

For those that don't want to click it, the range at 55 mph of a LR with 18/aeros is 412 miles. Note this is the highest of any Tesla including S 100D. I have 75k miles on a 70D and I can absolutely exceed EPA range at 55 mph. My breakeven speed is 69 on a warm day - meaning I exceed EPA below that. I mostly drive 80 mph on trips but have different routes with different speeds if the need arises.

Check this out, just one data point here. This test was done in 20 celcius (68 F) at 90 km/h (55 mph). And this is the Long range RWD Model 3. Test was done toward south first and then to north to go back to the starting point, in order to account for wind direction and terrain changes. 310 miles are very barely achieved. Coz the last 10 miles or so are done at local streets just to reach the 310 mile number.

No mention of tires, aeros. Still had 3% left - which is 10 miles of course.
Looks like aeros are off.
I hear no mention that this isn't a AWD - but I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing.
Bjorn is terrible for this stuff. His goal is clicks not accuracy. He has a sound test with the 3 with performance snow tires on.
Looks like 20 degrees was the peak temp. It was at least down to 11 at the end. That is a chilly 51 degrees.

No mention of tires, aeros. Still had 3% left - which is 10 miles of course.
Looks like aeros are off.
I hear no mention that this isn't a AWD - but I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing.
Bjorn is terrible for this stuff. His goal is clicks not accuracy. He has a sound test with the 3 with performance snow tires on.
Looks like 20 degrees was the peak temp. It was at least down to 11 at the end. That is a chilly 51 degrees.

I disagree. I think Bjorn is the most thorough EV tester on YouTube.