TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Kingman to Flagstaff?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by coqui33, Mar 4, 2017.

1. coqui33

coqui33 Member

We will be driving (90D, 19", AP2) from Las Vegas back to Florida in June, and I am worried about the leg from Kingman AZ to Flagstaff AZ. It is a long climb, and I am not sure we can do it with a safety margin. Any wisdom would be appreciated.

2. mblakele

mblakele (つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)つ

This planner accounts for elevation, and thinks you'll use less than 200 RM even if you speed a bit. Watch out for headwinds though.

EV Trip Planner

3. johnnyS

johnnyS Member

We did it in our S85 so it should be no problem for you. The difficult leg was Barstow to Kingman before a supercharger was added at Needles.

4. Lump

Lump Active Member

Hardest part is staying under 90 mph ;).

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 10.26.24 AM.png

• Funny x 1
  5. cpa

cpa Active Member

We used 53 kWh in May 2015 from Kingman to Flagstaff, but then I drive about 3-4 under the speed limit. Model S85 from 2014.

6. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

So true!

In AZ if you're under 90 you better be in the right lane with the trucks that are only going 85!

7. coqui33

coqui33 Member

Thanks, guys. It looks doable, so I will plan the trip that way. I believe that speed is the main factor, and I have no problem dawdling along in the right lane. My wife, on the other hand has a lead foot, but she can take over after Flagstaff. :D

8. iridium

iridium Member

I looked into doing the Kingman -> Flagstaff run in a 60 and it would have been scary tight, even controlling for speed, so I never did it.. based on what everyone else said and evtrip planner I think you'll be fine in a 90.

It looks like there are some destination chargers along 40 as well in case you need an emergency plan.