Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Knocking in the Front

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Within the past two weeks I noticed that when my Model S starts up there is often a knocking sound in the front, coming from somewhere under the dash and right behind the steering wheel. It also happens at certain times while I am driving at slower speeds and when braking, so it could be something in the braking system.

Has anyone else had this happen? This is even with the new firmware version 7.1. When I started the update and as the systems were restarting the first time, I noticed the knocking sound then too.

The good news is that aside from this unusual sound, everything else seems to be working well. There have been no messages or alerts either.

I've heard something similar in the garage. Seems like its been recently since 7.1 or so....Charge related? If you hear it on summon it could be the car disengaging the parking break...usually we are in the car so you wouldn't hear it the same way.

Hmm, I thought this was going to be the same thing I've had happening since it got cold. On my P85D under hard acceleration I get a knocking sound from what seems to be the front motor. The service guy said it might be the rubber motor mounts not being tight enough when cold. Of course he couldn't reproduce it but I need to get back there when it is still cold because it is pretty reproducible now.

Hmm, I thought this was going to be the same thing I've had happening since it got cold. On my P85D under hard acceleration I get a knocking sound from what seems to be the front motor. The service guy said it might be the rubber motor mounts not being tight enough when cold. Of course he couldn't reproduce it but I need to get back there when it is still cold because it is pretty reproducible now.

To you current owners, are the reliability issues that I've been reading all over the place valid? The more time I spend in this forum the more uneasy I get that I already paid my deposit. :(

To you current owners, are the reliability issues that I've been reading all over the place valid? The more time I spend in this forum the more uneasy I get that I already paid my deposit. :(
Our cars do get more repairs than an average car. (Mine has now had two in my ten months of ownership.)
However, the car is so great and the service so wonderful that I am still glad I bought my Tesla.

Owned 85d for 8 mos now. BEST CAR EVER OWNED and not one maintenance problem other than flat tire from a nail... If you like technology 'done right' and liked your test drive, I really can't imagine that you could be disappointed. Perfect? No. Better than anything else out there? BY FAR

Within the past two weeks I noticed that when my Model S starts up there is often a knocking sound in the front, coming from somewhere under the dash and right behind the steering wheel. It also happens at certain times while I am driving at slower speeds and when braking, so it could be something in the braking system.

Has anyone else had this happen? This is even with the new firmware version 7.1. When I started the update and as the systems were restarting the first time, I noticed the knocking sound then too.

The good news is that aside from this unusual sound, everything else seems to be working well. There have been no messages or alerts either.
I have the same sound, same location. Seems like its associated with the brakes, especially when I have TACC on I hear it when the car comes to a complete stop, and then I hear it again when it releases from the stop. I don't hear it on startup.

So far this minor issue is the only problem in 6 months, better than most new cars.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the same sound, same location. Seems like its associated with the brakes, especially when I have TACC on I hear it when the car comes to a complete stop, and then I hear it again when it releases from the stop. I don't hear it on startup.

Are you guys sure you aren't just hearing the brake pedal moving? Mine can be pretty loud when it engages or releases (given how quiet the car normally is).

So far this minor issue is the only problem in 6 months, better than most new cars.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you guys sure you aren't just hearing the brake pedal moving? Mine can be pretty loud when it engages or releases (given how quiet the car normally is).
I think it is part of the brake system that holds the car when fully stopped. Like I said I hear it when my foot is off the pedal while using TACC. I don't think it is exactly the pedal but whatever is being used to hold the pedal.

If you go to any other car forum, you will see issues from new car owners regardless of who manufactures the car. No need to worry about your deposit. Your concerns will fade away once you start driving it and Tesla will take care of you if you do have a problem with your car.

If you go to any other car forum, you will see issues from new car owners regardless of who manufactures the car. No need to worry about your deposit. Your concerns will fade away once you start driving it and Tesla will take care of you if you do have a problem with your car.

Yeah, great point in that forums are a place where people are prone to share experiences and research issues. I guess I was more concerned around the level of customer service and that Tesla pride in taking care of issues and providing a high level of service to their owners.

Last edited:
My 2 yr old S had a knocking such as this and it took them a year to figure out it had to do With a damper in the front left. Sorry not exactly sure of the specifics but this was the gist of it.

Good to know. Well I've been able to get it to reliably occur when I decelerate down to 4 MPH (e.g. from 20 down to 4 MPH). So, perhaps either the brakes or damper switch modes at 4 MPH and sometimes also upon startup. One of those could simply need an adjustment. Thankfully, everything else about the car is fine.

Yeah, great point in that forums are a place where people are prone to share experiences and research issues. I guess I was more concerned around the level of customer service and that Tesla pride in taking care of issues and providing a high level of service to their owners.

Tesla's service center has been excellent. Even with this issue, I am still very happy with the car and would buy another one.

I have a P85D (95xxx VIN) and I've heard this same knocking sound when stopped at a light. I've never heard it prior to 7.1 and in the last week, hear this type of noise 3-4 times in the past week. Like others, it sounds like its coming from the front end of the car.

I mentioned the issue to my service center and they came back with a "could not duplicate" diagnosis which is what I expected. Hopefully with more reports Tesla will address it.